2009 Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words Grant. It had more sweet malt a few weeks back, it seems to have gone MIA. Like I said to Andrew, I think I mashed a little low and using a kit as a base I didnt have total control over the recipe, still I was quite happy for my first attempt mashing. Glad you really enjoyed it.

Cheers Jason.

No. 6 Nifty's Some sort of Sout.

I must be mad. Stlll 28 degrees and after working in the gardens, I turn to a stout!

Not mad, just lucky!

Not enitrely optimistic with the heavily dimpled cap (what did you use a nail punch?) Pours a lovely black with a tan head. Great stout aroma, choc and toffee competing. Nice harsh grain bitterness on the flavour and a satisfying tart finish with malty sweetness well balanced against the darker flavours. I love stouts and this is a good un. Thanks Nifty.

cheers

grant

Thanks Grant.

As I posted earlier to Stu's comments, this recipe came about as a result of a bit of a stuff up.

cheers

nifty

2. RetsamHsam - Doppelbock 7.5%

This is the first doppelbock I've ever had.

This was a cracker of a beer to my tastes.

All I can say as a description is Smooooth and Creamy.

Thanks

nifty

15. Syd_03 ESB

I will second the call that it is more in the vein of a UK IPA.

I get a sweet, slightly cidery nose.
The carbonation is quite high and I enjoyed it a lot more with a little de-gassing and once it had warmed some. The beer has a good sessionable balance to the slightly drier than expected mouthfeel.
The grassy hops and bitterness really come to the front on tasting, but there is definitely a good malt presence to back it up and supply some depth.

An enjoyable beer Jason.

I am also noticeably feeling the effects of it as I try to do a little work.

Damn, got told my last swap that was meant to be an IPA was more like ESB; now it is vice versa. Both were about 40 IBU.

I agree with the gas and warming, It came out a lil higher carb than I was expecting. At 3-5 weeks the carb was spot on and was slightly sweeter. I think I will change the grain bill/mash temp next time and lower the initial carb level to get a sweeter less gassy beer after 6 weeks.

Glad you were able to enjoy it Dan, sorry your work had to suffer for the cause.

On the cider/gassy issue- I had one stubbie out of the 11 I have had since the swap that I think had some kind of infection, very gassy and slightly sour taste, all the others were fine, I am hoping this was just the last one I bottled and for some reason wasnt sanatised the same as the others.

16. andrew.gaul - Some Sorta Porter

Pours black with a ruby hue when held to the light. Small tan head. Malty goodness, with some caramel notes and roasty aromas. Fruity eaters present too.

Malty sweet upfront and balanced well with bitterness from hops and roasted malts. Medium sweet, and medium full body. Caramel notes and well as a nice fruitiness.

Overall a fairly big beer with great complexity which would be most excellent on a cool night or as a dessert beer

Cheers

19. barls - kels special honey ginger beer

Pours a slightly hazy gold. With a white head with quickly dissipates. Aroma is distinctly gingery. Very spicy.

Flavour gingery. With an almost chilli like finish. Lovely honey/sweet presence. Finishes medium dry. Lean body.

A most tasty ginger beer. Probably the best I've had. Top work!

Cheers

19. barls - kels special honey ginger beer

Pours a slightly hazy gold. With a white head with quickly dissipates. Aroma is distinctly gingery. Very spicy.

Flavour gingery. With an almost chilli like finish. Lovely honey/sweet presence. Finishes medium dry. Lean body.

A most tasty ginger beer. Probably the best I've had. Top work!

Cheers

Haha only cause you havent tasted mine :p.

Haha I was refering to my ginger beer;)

Nice, caint wait to get more feedback and advice. You powered through em;) I got 12 to go.

15. Syd_03 - ESB

Pours brown with ruby red highlights into a timmermans snifter glass. Large off white head. Very hoppy nose, with a delightful maltiness coming through.

SWMBO just announced that the beer is pouring itself on the table. Not too much spillage - so lets say just a tad over carbed. Also picking up some caramel and some fruity esters.

Bitter upfront. Some malt in support. Bitterness is a little sharp. Medium to lean body. Definitely in the IPA category. Finishes fairly dry. Fairly hoppy. Tasting a fruitiness to it - perhaps a little cidery.

Overall a fairly bitter dry beer. While the nose is fairly appealing I'd be looking to up the maltiness/sweetness or drop the bitterness a touch to balance them. Still quite tasty.

Cheers

And so ends another case swap reviewing!

I must say that the quality of beers I get to try in these caseswaps is nothing short of spectacular. From a beer aficionado perspective, the flavours and aromas, and the ability to sample such a wide variety of beers is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks fellas

15. Syd_03 - ESB

Pours brown with ruby red highlights into a timmermans snifter glass. Large off white head. Very hoppy nose, with a delightful maltiness coming through.

SWMBO just announced that the beer is pouring itself on the table. Not too much spillage - so lets say just a tad over carbed. Also picking up some caramel and some fruity esters.

Bitter upfront. Some malt in support. Bitterness is a little sharp. Medium to lean body. Definitely in the IPA category. Finishes fairly dry. Fairly hoppy. Tasting a fruitiness to it - perhaps a little cidery.

Overall a fairly bitter dry beer. While the nose is fairly appealing I'd be looking to up the maltiness/sweetness or drop the bitterness a touch to balance them. Still quite tasty.

Cheers

And so ends another case swap reviewing!

I must say that the quality of beers I get to try in these caseswaps is nothing short of spectacular. From a beer aficionado perspective, the flavours and aromas, and the ability to sample such a wide variety of beers is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks fellas

Sorry about the carb spilling from the half bottle or jug onto the table? That seems well over what it should be. I only primed to 2 volumes; 110 gram for the 23 litres. At least it wasn't onto your macbook though;)

Glad the aroma was good and apearance sounds good too maybe a smaller head from lower carbanation would be good though. At least that part sound enjoyable.

fruity sounds good cidery doesnt sound too promising though :unsure: Those are my plans exactly, Up the mash temp a lil, maybe some more spec grain and lower the 20 min addition and dryhopping.

Glad over all it was ok though, thanks for the constuctive comments.

Cheers Jason.

Okay, cracked the first three brews last night.

Josh's Octoberfest was a very nice one. Good session beer.

Bizier's IPA followed and knocked my sox off ! Smelled divine ! Not a huge fan of the flavour of over over hopped beers though but had no problems finishing the bottle off.

Cortez's Scottish ale - should not have tried it after Bizier's hop monster as my palate was gone. Enjoyed the second pour. A favourite style of mine and this was a nice version.

Three down three great beers. The body is evil, it must be punished .. I'll have a few more later tonight.

FGZ

8. Cortez The Killer - Haggis For Breakfast - Scottish 80/- - 4.8%

Pours clear ruby with a nice head. Aroma of grainy malt, no sign of hops. Flavour is more grainy malt, fruit and slight spice/pepper. Medium carb. Low bitterness. Sessionable, surprised how easy this to drink. Very nice. Thanks Cortez.

Cheers
Andrew.

16. andrew.gaul - Some Sorta Porter

Pours dark with ruby highlights. Aroma is sweet roasty malt. Head subsides quite quickly. Carb medium low. Flavour is roast malts with fruit and quite a sweet lingering finish. It initially has a kind of sharpness that gives the flavour some intensity but impression of sharpness fades just leaving the intense flavour. Medium body, suitable bitterness. Nicely balanced towards the sweet. A very nice porter. Thanks Andrew.

Wouldnt mind seeing the recipe.

Cheers
Andrew.

11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone 6.8%.

Pours a bright red amber. Nice fluffy head that lasts and laces. Citrus US hop aroma with malt and a touch of fruity that seems to be from the yeast. Flavour is citrus and sweet caramel malt. Smooth bitterness with the balance towards the malt and hops. Medium full body. Medium carb. Creamy. Hides alc very well. I suspect the original is probably a bit more assertively bitter but this is seamless. Awesome beer. Thanks Ben.

Cheers
Andrew.

Black dog attack, so responded with a beer antidote. Grabbed old number 11 and .. go you good thing. Andrew writes a good review .. was thinking of plagarising both thought best to quote the source. I'll just use the old chestnut .. bloody nice one ! Gees that's a good beer.

Jonw number 17 .. scored two bottles, opened the 700ml crown seal (other a Tooheys screwtop). Good stuff Jonw .. a bloody nice beer. Love Yankee browns .. Josh made a great one a couple of case swaps ago and I've been a fan since. Possible overcarbonation .. I see where the problem may have been with over carbing - No problems with over carbing in my bottle but maybe in the larger bottles you may have used more carbonation drops / sugar ? Or did you bulk prime ? Anyway, bloody good beer and I expect to see you in future swaps cos this one is a ripper... good to see a new brewer to coming in Xmas .. the next generation of AHB needs to learn early !

Latest posts

Back