Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then from 60 min onwards 1g per minute. and chill fast at 0 minutes. will work beautifully - this is my 'special' hopping

1g per min

:lol: man ive got to try this but i dont know if my attention span will allow me to keep that pace up

I might just come and watch you do that one day maple

Attention span would be my issue too!!! Though it does sound interesting, might save it for when i have a brewing assistant who can be in charge of this!

Cheers SJ

you don't have enough hops there mate... but given what you have, I'd be inclined to mix them together 80g total, add 20 FWH, then from 60 min onwards 1g per minute. and chill fast at 0 minutes. will work beautifully - this is my 'special' hopping regime to give heaps of layering of the hops, but only ever done it with 3 varieties or more. give it a whirl, if you're so inclined.

sounds like the dogfishhead process for their 'minute' IPA's

Changed from Mash Out, into the mash-in, to 2 sparges (with 2nd one my mash out). I probably confused everyone with that comment.

you wot twisted? :unsure:

better be at cricket tonight we are 3 down! (3 fill ins coming tho)

you wot twisted? :unsure:

better be at cricket tonight we are 3 down! (3 fill ins coming tho)

Yeah, I'll be there, but 6:10! Might be slightly late. Was gonna bring my swap beer, but haven't labeled them yet.

I'll just be bringing a selection of whatever I have on hand and hoping for feedback.

Bottled by then will be: All Amarillo American Brown, English Brown (was meant to be a porter but it's a little lighter than it should be) English Amber, noble hopped pale ale, Westmalle inspired dubbel and maybe a few bottles of my chimay white clone (recipe courtesy of hoohaman). One of the first 4 will be the case swap beer (have to check each one and pick the best) and I may have a hefeweizen ready by then as well.

I'll also bring a couple of bottles of my screwed up pilsner but that's for diagnostic purposes only (unless something untoward happens and it becomes drinkable in the next week or so).

@ CM2 - make sure you bring along some of that RIS special - sessionability be damned. Sounds good to my palate (yes my palate can hear).

G'day all. As stated on a few pages back, I can transport any cases from melb to bendigo (I live in both melb & bendigo), but the only time I have now is for you to drop off at my place this saturday or sunday (Melbourne, CBD-ish). I promise I won't drink many.

Hopefully I can make it along as a non-swap attendee on swap day :icon_cheers:

Just a curiosity - Is there any contingency in case a brew falls short of the 26? Obviously you get one of your own back so you could get away with 25 but I'm just thinking ahead. Unlikely I'll have an issue but you never know. Would you apologetically sub in a bottle of a different brew for some (un)lucky swapper or just hang your head in shame?

Just a curiosity - Is there any contingency in case a brew falls short of the 26? Obviously you get one of your own back so you could get away with 25 but I'm just thinking ahead. Unlikely I'll have an issue but you never know. Would you apologetically sub in a bottle of a different brew for some (un)lucky swapper or just hang your head in shame?

Sub in what you have and mark it on the bottle

Its been done before

Also i have updated the wiki to show attendees in red so as i can plan the feast.

Kleiny

Sub in what you have and mark it on the bottle

Its been done before

Also i have updated the wiki to show attendees in red so as i can plan the feast.

Kleiny sorry guys cant make it ,we r just to busy in the brewery. with summer coming up we r double batching and bottling like crazy. if anyone is interested in dropping in and having a look you r welcome. just give me a buzz on 0447233637. agian my appoligies. have a great day. :icon_chickcheers:

Fair enough, but you're not piking out of the swap are ya?

Just bottled the Golden Ale.. and sorry guys I had to go buy some coopers PET bottles since I gave away all my longnecks when I started kegging.. (use old JS golden ale stubbies if I want bottling)

I drank all my beer also so might have to bring off the shelf brew for the day. OH!! we'll see if this fat yak clone will be ready... hmmmmmm

anyway.. it'll be a good day I hope..

Just to get you excited... You all know what it is! :icon_drool2:

I did a quick pour to check if its still showing signs of sulfur. Thankfully its non existant! I'm one happy swapper!

reunificationexpress.JPG

good news.... bad news....

Good news - my Galaxy Amber ale is bottled and tasted pretty darn good outta the fermentor. Should be carbed up in time for the case swap, so it should be ready to go.

Bad news - I am going to have to pull out of attending the swap :angry: I am pretty disappointed, but way too much stuff has now come up for that weekend which pretty much just make it impossible for me to make the trip up to Bendigo. Brewmeister will most likely be taking my swaps up with him, so I have that end of things organised at least.

Sorry guys... hope everyone has a blast!!

Cheers,

Brendo

In the "good news/bad news" vein that this thread has become, I will post some "good news/bad news" news.

Entered my swap beer into a hombrew comp at the town I grew up in (Buchan, East Gippsland - famous for caves and rednecks).

Good news: FIRST PRIZE!!!
Bad news: I was the only entrant

LMAO. With all the non-attendees, you made me laugh zebba!

LMAO. With all the non-attendees, you made me laugh zebba!
Well, so far I'm the good news story of the swap. Gone from "definitely not attending" to "holy carp the weekend is now free AND the wife has given me a leave pass!", and I get to present you all with an "award winning" beer!

Now the only issue is whether after the weekend I'll still be on speaking terms with WarmBeer. To quote "I've booked us a double room - you better not snore!". Ummm, about that... :unsure:

Back to more serious discussions though - I'd like to put myself down for a cube from the brew. Happy to do anything I can to help (still @ extract brewing stage ATM, but will do what I can), but don't really have any ingredients to contribute (unless I get word to get something before hand). So what is the dealeo there - who/what organises the ingredients?

Back to more serious discussions though - I'd like to put myself down for a cube from the brew. Happy to do anything I can to help (still @ extract brewing stage ATM, but will do what I can), but don't really have any ingredients to contribute (unless I get word to get something before hand). So what is the dealeo there - who/what organises the ingredients?

Well buy the looks of everything and the marginal donations so far i might have to go and buy all the ingredients and we split the costs associated with the batch on the day. I also don't want to cop the back of $100+ of ingredients alone as it seems im the only one with EKG and Styrian on hand to begin with.

Basically, we are looking at roughly $85 on grain, $20 on hops (if i dont account what i currently have on hand, which aint much) and i'll supply the salt additions free of charge ;)

So in all, it will be around $25 bucks to take a 20L cube home with you if we split the batch between 4 of us. (if we account for trub losses in the kettles), otherwise around $20~ if split between 5. The 5th person has to be aware they are getting this at no reduced cost.

Be aware, we are getting Simpsons Golden Promise, which is the reason for the high malt cost. If you where making this beer in a single batch purchase it would also be roughly $10 more. So you are walking away with a bargain anyway.

Kleiny,
It might be best for you to nut out a recipe based on your system/efficiency. I assume we dont want to end up with a 6% Landlord. ;) (or do we?!?!)

The recipe i came up with can be made as i outlined, or split up as 2 batches (for what the system may only allow). We can also cut the cost slightly by changing the bittering hop to something high alpha/low flavour like magnum and reserve the styrian and EKG for later in the boil? Voice your opinions.

Whatever suits you boys.

Cheers.

I have update the wiki with the estimated costs, (i will find out this/next week the exact) so you all are prepared for the costs involved. I will pop-up a disclaimer now. Note Agree against your name in the brewday articale or scrap your name if you are unwilling to incur the outlined costs associated.

F*

I have brew salts at home so dont bother bringing any up

I will adjust the recipe for my system MLT and gava's MLT

Im happy to pay or call it even depending on food costs

Hope to get the food sorted the week before so keep updated for food costing and attendance

Does anybody have any questions about the day/night?

Kleiny

Latest posts

Back