Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first wort hopping is just that. you throw them in when the first runnings are transferred into the kettle. or chuck it in as part of a 90min boil

first wort hopping is just that. you throw them in when the first runnings are transferred into the kettle. or chuck it in as part of a 90min boil
You will get two different outcomes from a 90min hop addition and a FWH

Boil hop additions are obviously added at above 100C and the flavor and aroma are obviously lost to the boil.

FWH is done during the first runnings so generally in the area of 68C -78C dependant on mash out or not.

What the recent papers are saying is that FWH allows the hop oils to bind with glucose and be protected from the boil. Then allowing them to add flavor and aroma to the beer once the yeast releases them from the glucose. The papers also add this this is beneficial in lighter flavored beers and gets lost in dark and heavy flavored beers.

Just some general info (dont know why i added it really)

So the likes of cascade on the lighter end of pale ale's would add something to the beer but in an IPA it may go unnoticed (2IPA's however you are trying to get hops in where ever you can, so they add them at every stage including the mash)

Kleiny

sorry kleiny. i was keeping it simple. it wont make too much differance esp not a noticable diff since it would be his first AG

Hey 4*, CM2, Maple and others if you have to many swap cases to bring i can grab some off you at the BJCP course before hand and make some more room in your cars.

Somebody will be able to drop your car back at the quest before the party heats up.

I might bring a couple of boxes on the 17th Kleiny. Jut to make the ride a litte lighter. Then i might be able to help somone else out! I'm planning on stealing my oldies little ford festiva for the trip up for the swap as I'm scared of my transmission falling out 1/2 way up on the trip! :ph34r:

What the recent papers are saying is that FWH allows the hop oils to bind with glucose and be protected from the boil. Then allowing them to add flavor and aroma to the beer once the yeast releases them from the glucose. The papers also add this this is beneficial in lighter flavored beers and gets lost in dark and heavy flavored beers.

For as long as i can remember doing AG ive done FWH. I dont know why but i just love it. I always have an awesome hop flavour in my beers that require it and the lower hopped beers (even a helles) have been top notch with a subdued hop character even when it was FWH.

It just magical!

sorry kleiny. i was keeping it simple. it wont make too much differance esp not a noticable diff since it would be his first AG

No need for sorry mate i just had a random blurt

For as long as i can remember doing AG ive done FWH. I dont know why but i just love it. I always have an awesome hop flavour in my beers that require it and the lower hopped beers (even a helles) have been top notch with a subdued hop character even when it was FWH.

It just magical!

As far as my history knowledge goes FWH was a technique used by german brewers in those exact styles Munich helles to gain flavor and aroma profile.

I pretty much do it in all my hop forward beers and my lighter styles but dont really bother in my Bock's and Stouts.

I pretty much do it in all my hop forward beers and my lighter styles but dont really bother in my Bock's and Stouts.

As aprt of my standard process it just happens for me now. anything between FWH and 30min addditions just doesnt exist for me anymore.

What where the negative effects for the dark/big beers Kleiny?

I'd just like to say that I'm partially responsible for WarmBeer thinking of popping his AG cherry with a RIS.

I scored some sweet champers bottles with lightning stoppers from Reg, and am keen to fill them with a RIS and/or Barleywine and forget about 'em for a while. 'Cause I'm still a few months off moving to AG myself (wife thinks I spend too much on this brewing biz, even though the only thing I've actually paid for so far is a hydrometer and bench capper!), I'm pressuring WarmBeer to go halvies with me - I provide the bottles, he provides the gear, and we both make a day of it...

Don't cave to mainstream pressure WarmBeer - go the RIS (or barleywine)... go the RIS (or barleywine)... You know you wanna.

What where the negative effects for the dark/big beers Kleiny?
I wouldn't say there was any negative effects just no noticeable effect so now i just save the hops and use the right amount at 60min

Don't cave to mainstream pressure WarmBeer - go the RIS (or barleywine)... go the RIS (or barleywine)... You know you wanna.

Its ok, we can always throw him to the hillbillies at the swap!
God damn you play a mean banjo!

deliverance.jpg

Ha! Love it!

I wouldn't say there was any negative effects just no noticeable effect so now i just save the hops and use the right amount at 60min

Oh, ok. So why swap back to 60 min then? Any positives?

Oh, ok. So why swap back to 60 min then? Any positives?

I was doing FWH and a 60min addition so know i only do the 60min addition and have not found any noticable difference positive or negative. (but then maybe if i had of done it i could have got an extra .5 at vicbrew and got 3rd outright for my Trad bock <_< not that i think about it often :( )

I just save the hops from the FWH and make the 60min addition for the IBU required.

I was doing FWH and a 60min addition so know i only do the 60min addition and have not found any noticable difference positive or negative. (but then maybe if i had of done it i could have got an extra .5 at vicbrew and got 3rd outright for my Trad bock <_< not that i think about it often :( )

Bummer... If only you did the FWH huh! :beerbang:

I just save the hops from the FWH and make the 60min addition for the IBU required.

Hey Kleiny, I tried your Bock beer last night and it is bloody fantastic, i believe it has improved heaps since i tried it a few months ago at your place

Rook

So 4*, I'm brewing my APA tonight, and will have 40gms of Chinook and 40gms Cascade to play with (pellets). If i give FWH a shot on this, what kind of hopping schedule would you recommend?

Cheers SJ

Hi all,

I finally got my beer bottled the other night!! Was getting worried! But bloody hell, I HATE BOTTLING!!!! Got right near the end, and thought, "Why the hell didn't I just keg it and fill from there!"... Next time.

It's an APA. 1054 down to 1013, 5.8%. Was hoping it'd get down to 1010, but then again, it would have been a little strong on alc. Got some kegs gassing up atm, so will try it in the next few days. Hopefully it's a good one. Just upgraded to a 100litre pot, so still working out the new system. But I have been getting much better extraction rates. Changed from Mash Out, into the mash-in, to 2 sparges (with 2nd one my mash out). I probably confused everyone with that comment.

Anyway, will update the recipe thread when I get home.

4*, my beers are ready and waiting (after I label them...). I will get them to Fents soon.

Have fun all attendee's!!

Dingo

So 4*, I'm brewing my APA tonight, and will have 40gms of Chinook and 40gms Cascade to play with (pellets). If i give FWH a shot on this, what kind of hopping schedule would you recommend?

Cheers SJ

Crap, i dont have beersmith on hand to write some stuff up but i basically shoot for around 50-60% of my IBU's in the FWH. This can also dpened on the beer style in question and vary slightly. For this beer, i'd keep it cloer to 50% or less for a BIG late hop flavour addition. I'd also use chinook for FWH! :icon_cheers:

Then add the rest of the IBU in a flavour addtion somwhere! Do a flameout addition with a minimum of 1g/l of your final volume if you can.

Aweeeesome! :icon_drool2:

At the end of the day its your personal preference. Just slap em in and see what happens!

Anybody got a VB Raw recipe? If I'm making the move to AG, I want to at least make something good ;)

Thanks 4* will punch a few options into BS when i get home and see what looks good.

Cheers SJ

Cheers SJ
you don't have enough hops there mate... but given what you have, I'd be inclined to mix them together 80g total, add 20 FWH, then from 60 min onwards 1g per minute. and chill fast at 0 minutes. will work beautifully - this is my 'special' hopping regime to give heaps of layering of the hops, but only ever done it with 3 varieties or more. give it a whirl, if you're so inclined.

Back