Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surly some one with 14.1 avg post a day wouldn't have a life.

Holy crap ive goto get my arse into gear when i get home. next weekedn i WILL brew my swap beer. i have soo much brew work todo when i get home, keg a few ales, prep my comp bottles for VICbrew. aie aie aie! Times are tough when you come back from a 3 week long holiday. Flight departs ihn 1 1/2 hours, here's to several Tigers on the flight home!

Likewise 4*. Hopefully I'll get around to brewing a double batch of Alt next Sunday...but before that I need to clean and refurbish a keg so that I can empty a cube so that I have two fermenters free...and as for sheep, the dogs chased them away ;)

Life is tough as a homebrewer :super:

so im wired on coffee from the flight and cannot sleep.

here is the anticipated recipe... yes its simple... very simple. Im hoping it knocks up what i have been dreaming about.

Any constructive notes are appriciated. cheers!

Reunification Express
Standard American, errr Viet Lager

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/09/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 70.0 %
1.00 kg Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 20.0 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
10.00 gm Magnum [12.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 16.0 IBU
10.00 gm Pearle [6.00%] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU
Est Color: 3.1 SRM

Mash Profile
Protein Rest Add 7.50 L of water at 63.3 C 55.0 C 20 min
Saccharification Add 6.50 L of water at 79.5 C 65.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 96.1 C 77.0 C 10 min

im going to have to brew mine after 5 oct.. I've been busy with Wedding plans and work :(

Any constructive notes are appriciated. cheers!

Reunification Express
Standard American, errr Viet Lager
no cat? or essence of cat? looking forward to trying this one 4*. although it strikes me that Vietnam would have difficulties acheiving lager temps? would they be using a cal common hybrid yeast?

I sampled my Aussie Style lager Friday night. Couldnt work out WTF it tastes like POR, I was stumped. then in the morning the drunken haze lifted and I realised.....I used POR. duh me! anyway tasted lovely. should be a cracker, still a few gravity points left to go. not really sure how many. not sure why promash doesnt give an expected FG.

Aussie Gold Digger Lager double batch
Batch Size (L): 42.00 Wort Size (L): 42.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.70
Anticipated OG: 1.069
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 28.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

34.2 4.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
34.2 4.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
17.1 2.00 kg. Rice Solids Generic 1.040 0
5.1 0.60 kg. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
5.1 0.60 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.3 0.50 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

29.99 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 19.1 60 min.
20.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 3.4 15 min.
40.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 5.7 10 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
34/70 German lager

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 50 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp : 63 Time: 60
Saccharification Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp : 78 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Actuals
Volume: 45L
OG 1051
SG 1021

still dont know what to brew for you blokes.

still dont know what to brew for you blokes.
Hey Fents, go for something off-da-wall, just to give a bit of variety. Maybe a cousin-weizen? Although it looks like there are far less APAs in the last few swaps and people are mixing it up a bit.

I've done a summer beer for this (provided it turns out ok) the drinkability of a light lager, the maltiness of a brown, and hopped to DIPA standards, ~2.7% ABV and 207 IBUs. hope you like hops.

no cat? or essence of cat? looking forward to trying this one 4*. although it strikes me that Vietnam would have difficulties acheiving lager temps? would they be using a cal common hybrid yeast?

Sorry, no cat. ;) At louisiane brewhouse where i had my brewday they used Wyeast Bohemian 2124 and chilled with Glycol, small scale but still achievable. If CUB can do it during summmer (40deg+) why cant they i suppose?!? I'd assume the major breweries would also follow suit (they are quite big, i drove past 1 on the way to Halong Bay and it was as big as CUB.) I think alot of their Bia Hoi comes out of these breweries too so i'd also assume lager yeast. The issue with Bia Hoi is they are usually served via hand pump, the beer is awesome fresh or served under CO2. if you hand pump you are pushing air in and staling it rather quickly. The fresh serves i had where really really clean.

Cheers!

Hey Fents, go for something off-da-wall, just to give a bit of variety. Maybe a cousin-weizen? Although it looks like there are far less APAs in the last few swaps and people are mixing it up a bit.

I've done a summer beer for this (provided it turns out ok) the drinkability of a light lager, the maltiness of a brown, and hopped to DIPA standards, ~2.7% ABV and 207 IBUs. hope you like hops.

sorry mate i dont do any sort of weizen's. brewing or drinking.

lager, cream ale, kolsch, pale ale, IPA. Thats pretty much me apart from a helles or a dortmunder but i dont really think i have the lagering time for them or a kolsch.

might just bottle the occy troy, rook and i made.

I think we've only had 1 or 2 cream ales in the past swaps. you could go for that.

I think we've only had 1 or 2 cream ales in the past swaps. you could go for that.

Cream or Blonde Ale... do it! thats my backup plan for my recipe if my 2174 Bohemian yeast doesnt kick off, or i turn to using the cali yeast i have on a slant. Atleast it will be within the same style, just with an ale note. fermented low will seal the deal! ;)

I took a test sample of the "Redcoats" IPA I'm brewing for this last night... It's attentuated about 6 points lower then I was expecting. Aiming at an FG of 1016, and it's down to 1010!! OG was 1070...

I'm very surprised by this. The last IPA I did had a bit of dex thrown in to make the same OG, and it got down to an FG of 1016. This one is all malt - and has attentuated lower! Using the same variety of yeast!

The original got rave reviews from family/friends, only negative being that it was "a little sweet" - so this time I upped the IBU's a fraction to balance that out... And it goes and attentuates like this on me!

Sample tasted delish though... I'm almost sad to be giving most of this one away :)

I'll put the recipe up this weekend, for those who are curious.

do we have a recipe thread for this swap yet? oculdnt see one.

Downloaded Beersmith last night. Designed my recipe and ordered the grain/hops/yeast for pickup on Sat, so all ready to go...

Good idea to start a recipe thread. If nobody else does, I will tonight.

So, whats going to be the plan for the swap Kleiny? Ive just found out/realised some terrible news. Turns out ive got Cricket on the 21st so would have to drive up post-match (Viewbank to Bendigo 2 1/2 hours). Is the bbq planned for lunch but is consumed at midnight like Fents handywork? :lol: It seems like i would probably be arriving 8-9PM~.

Its early i know, but would be good to get an idea of the times outline for the big day. :p

Beers!

I can take any cases of beer from Melb -> Bendigo between now and then for the small fee of a longneck or two.
Would probably prefer it to be dropped off to me on a Sunday in central melb. Might be easier if people are interested to organise a few people on the same sunday when I'll be around.

I've started a Brew Day Wiki - Click here so we can start getting things in concrete for the big day on the 21st of November (that's 7 weeks away, people!)

Have a read, see where you can help out, and update the wiki.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or downright nasty flamings are welcomed.

Four* - it wouldn't be the same if you didn't turn up. Who else is going to criticise Barra about his supposed "sanitation problems"? :)

Latest posts

Back