Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did want that profile but I also didn't want to tip 25 litres away.

I've only done a couple of extract lagers previously (both of which turned out well) so I'm not insanely experienced and I've never used a liquid lager yeast.

I know one strain is meant to dominate but assuming that takes time to occur and esters etc are produced early, wouldn't I still get some of the 2278 profile?

Well Rook,

Ive taken inspiration from my surroundings and have decided to produce a Viet style rice lager. If you are up for the challenge, read on below.

Can be anything from a Bia Hoi, which is a light low alc 3-4% lager, malty sweet, yet finishes dry and spritzy(probably due to the carbonation). A really refreshing midstrength lager. One for the Peasants or a qick lager on the sidewalk before the sweaty ride home.

The other option is a higher alc 'premium' regional lager such as Huda Beer, Saigon, 333 or Bia Ha Noi. These premium lagers focus on an ABV of around 4.2 -5%. The malt flavour varies from being like Bia hoi or a light spritzy hoppy $uro Lager. The only catch with all of these beers, it must have rice in it. None of the ingredient lists have left rice out, its either noted as rice or 'cereal' in english.

General Gist:
- Bia Hoi is much like a lagered Cream/Blonde/Helles Style with rice.
- Viet Premium Lagers are more so a Standard Lager/Pilsner variety with rice.

Some hints:
- They use shorgrain rice for food here predominantly.
- Some breweries have German, Czech and Danish influence/equiptment.
- Beer is either pils/malty sweet or really dry, nothing really balanced in between.
- Focus is on the refreshment, not so much the malt profile or a slap you in the face hop aroma/flavour but it can linger (the bia hoi is very pils sweet in the finish.)

Take the Challenge, if you dare! ;)

Beers! (time for another Huda, im sweating my arse off in the foyer of the hotel im staying at in Hue as i type this.) :icon_drunk:

My pilsner is hanging out around 10 degrees and is progressing very, very slowly. Started 1060 (aforementioned 1065 was due to an elementary error that I should have already known about). Nearly 2 weeks later it's 1040. I guess this is a good thing - lager ferment slow and patient manticle, slow and patient.

We shall see. You all might be getting something else but we shall see.

That's the way Manticle. Stick with it. As for me, patience isn't a virtue I possess, so I'm thinking something quick and hoppy. Looking forward to you wares!

Munich Helles is kegged getting ready to be bottled in a holding pattern at 2C so can probably stay in the kegs for another week and then its bottleing time.

The good thing about brewing early is if its no good i will have to do another lager.

i have to put a brew down soon! for this... busy theses days three weeks until my wedding.. got bucks today...

Munich Helles is kegged getting ready to be bottled in a holding pattern at 2C so can probably stay in the kegs for another week and then its bottleing time.
The good thing about brewing early is if its no good i will have to do another lager.

Sounds the goods Kleiny! I can't wait to get my lips around it! Ive been trying to formulate a killer recipe for this swap in-line with the rice lagers ive been having along this trip. Unfortunately all of my rice lagers have been lacking the special flavour that i get over here. I don't know if its the terrior or what but something is missing. Maybe im just over complicating things and a simple 70% Malt 30% Rice grist, hopped to 25IBU will be in order for a killer Brau! I'll sleep on it for the nest few weeks until the big brew day. Maybe something will click.

Sounds the goods Kleiny! I can't wait to get my lips around it! Ive been trying to formulate a killer recipe for this swap in-line with the rice lagers ive been having along this trip. Unfortunately all of my rice lagers have been lacking the special flavour that i get over here. I don't know if its the terrior or what but something is missing. Maybe im just over complicating things and a simple 70% Malt 30% Rice grist, hopped to 25IBU will be in order for a killer Brau! I'll sleep on it for the nest few weeks until the big brew day. Maybe something will click.

How much terrior do they use in the beers over their. I don't have any terrior in stock, can I sub dalmation or I can probably get my hands on an annoying chihuahua or two. Do you add it in the mash or the boil? Please help as I'd love to master making this interesting beer.

:p

4* make a light dig beer, I mean Vietnam beer. Not enough good light beers around. I recon my Aussie style lager will be a go-er for the swap. It's fermenting away nicely @ 10c and smelling great.

post_4362_1248911400_thumb.jpg
found a game that would look right at home at the next caseswap. first one out looses!

View attachment 29298

:icon_offtopic: My mate is leaving to set up a saw mill in africa.

Me and the boys reckon he'll end up in one of those with a few veggies

Well, guess I'm too late for the case swap but I'd love to be there anyhows.

Might just bring a case of something brewed and brown in case all the reserves drop out.
Not like it's going to go to waste.

Mark me down for the gig, but don't expect me to enjoy the banjos.

Oh yes, and if anyone needs a drop off point in the SE subs assuming there's no better option - I could do that too.
I will be attending.

Home is Frankston North - work is Moorabbin.

Yep definitely show up Bod, the more the merrior

Usually everybody brings along some of there finest to share around.

There will be plenty of keg space, (i have 4 taps and space for 6 kegs in one keezer and 3 kegs in another keezer).

Kleiny

I have to pull out of the Vic Crate Swap (#23) unfortunately as SWMBO and myself are on the move to Penshurst.
I will still be an avid viewer of AHB and hope all goes well with the crate swap. Spewing I will miss it but things have to be done...

No probs, Yeastie.

I'll shuffle Hutch into your place on the list, he's first on the Reserves list.

Best of luck with the move.

No probs, Yeastie.

I'll shuffle Hutch into your place on the list, he's first on the Reserves list.

Best of luck with the move.
Woohoo!
Hmmmm, what can I poison you with this time?.....

Unfortunately i wont be going into the swap but will be attending so i have moved lucas into my position and moved up the reserves list

Rook

Bugger,

Just drank your "Three Shades of Shout" last night Rook, and man, I'm in love...

Will have to resort to plagiarising the recipe now.

Unfortunately i wont be going into the swap but will be attending so i have moved lucas into my position and moved up the reserves list

Rook

Latest posts

Back