Vic Xmas Case Swap 2011: Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i might check on mine and if swolen as much as noted, vent some co2 from it before chilling.

The saison looks like she is about to blow, cap is bulging and the bottom is all swollen out wont stand up of its own accord.
Mine was the same, cracked the cap and put it in the fridge, will try it tomorrow night.

Bottle labeled 'B', pretty sure it's Charst's and while un-named I assume it's a Black IPA so ..
5 - Charst -Black IPA
Hops hops and more hops!
Well balanced dark malt backbone.
Very enjoyable.

Came back from holiday to find two blown up bottles in my shed. One was a cider bottle (rest seem fine and I tried one last night - way low carb so I'm not sure what happened - my first since my kit days).

The other was in the swap box. Whose bottle had SW on the top (cap in the bottom of the box was labelled thus so I assume this was the beer)? No label, looked like a thinner type of longneck (CUB/XXXX style).

Whoever it is, I have no review as all I got from the beer was a million shards of glass. I'd suggest others wrap their glass bottles tightly in Glad wrap for safety.

Came back from holiday to find two blown up bottles in my shed. One was a cider bottle (rest seem fine and I tried one last night - way low carb so I'm not sure what happened - my first since my kit days).

The other was in the swap box. Whose bottle had SW on the top (cap in the bottom of the box was labelled thus so I assume this was the beer)? No label, looked like a thinner type of longneck (CUB/XXXX style).

Whoever it is, I have no review as all I got from the beer was a million shards of glass. I'd suggest others wrap their glass bottles tightly in Glad wrap for safety.

Just finished maneuvering the rest of the swaps into the fridge, the only one i have encountered so far with letters was charst with the " B " on it, maybe you picked up a random that was kicking around that night? there were plenty...

14: beer4U: ESB

Pours clear amber, thick, tight white head that slolwy dissipates. Some remains, light lacing.
Aroma of fruit spice, a touch of carob (earthy fuggles hops maybe?).

Low carb, medium body.

Initial sweet flavour, hint of caramel and fruit spice, some raisin, slightly dry minerally finish, hint of lingering bitterness.

A nice rich and complex UK bitter. Any criticism would be based purely on personal taste rather than picking out actual faults. Cheers

Just finished maneuvering the rest of the swaps into the fridge, the only one i have encountered so far with letters was charst with the " B " on it, maybe you picked up a random that was kicking around that night? there were plenty...

Cracking grain for today's brew, I noticed a 23 cap nearby. The exploding bottle really shattered with bits of glass about the shed floor and there is no 23 in my crate. All other beers either drunk or accounted for.

Caution might be handy with this beer.

14: beer4U: ESB

Pours clear amber, thick, tight white head that slolwy dissipates. Some remains, light lacing.
Aroma of fruit spice, a touch of carob (earthy fuggles hops maybe?).

Low carb, medium body.

Initial sweet flavour, hint of caramel and fruit spice, some raisin, slightly dry minerally finish, hint of lingering bitterness.

A nice rich and complex UK bitter. Any criticism would be based purely on personal taste rather than picking out actual faults. Cheers

Thanks for the feedback :icon_cheers:

Cracking grain for today's brew, I noticed a 23 cap nearby. The exploding bottle really shattered with bits of glass about the shed floor and there is no 23 in my crate. All other beers either drunk or accounted for.

Thats scary, when i was moving everything to the fridge i held 23 up to light cause it looked nice and clear :blink:

Thats scary, when i was moving everything to the fridge i held 23 up to light cause it looked nice and clear :blink:

Looks like its a one off explosion (unless it wasnt bulk primed) due to a dicky bottle i suspect. Sipping it now, quite tasty!

I cracked Vitalstatistix Saison but had the same results as razz upon pouring so ive left it uncapped in the frige until i finish this bad boy.

Adolfo, thanks for the beer, its delicious!

:blink: :eek: B)

shit... wasnt expecting that... RTD was mid jan!!

Cheers mate
near enough to mid January for me Yob!

Slaughterhouse APA.
I love the sound of opening a well carbed bottle, a nice firm pffffft. Low hop aroma. Pours great into a headmaster schooner, nice colour and a slight haze, good lace. Lovely soft mouthfeel leads into mild hop flavour and bitterness. Not much malt in support but I think it's a nice ale, a good one to have a session on. I'll have to check the other thread for the recipe. Thanks yob. :drinks:

VERY glad to hear it, I was worried about this one... I felt that (at the time) my AG's were not good enough to swap and this was my only backup..

Cough.. Kits and bits man... Hops were Hallertau Citra and Galaxy from memory without checking the notes..

I do however promise that the next one I swap will be AG and a marked improvement on all those already supped in the last 2 swaps... a few recent tastings have widened my eyes and there is no going back now.. :icon_drunk:

is it time to retire that can opener? No need to respond to that!! :rolleyes:

:icon_offtopic: I thought Id sneak in another brew tonight, mashed in and then realised I dont have a spare cube.. :unsure: ... Im rapidly washing some yeast as I figure I can ditch the contents into an empty FV and pitch the yeast after I finish with this brew... whoops... going to be a long evening!!

Again, thanks for the comments

Back from holidays. Great beer and hop farms in New Zealand!
Sorry to hear that Manticle, I kept a few for myself and I have had no issues so far. Lets hope is a one off case.

Cracked Vitalstatstix's Saison last night (#17) and once I finally managed to correct the head to beer ratio it was a rather tasty drop indeed. The Sorachi Ace hops gave a nice citrus tang to the spicey hop notes... most enjoyable.

Cheers,

Brendo

15. Fents - English APA

Clear deep amber, pours with a moderate off white head, good retention.

Very appealing and complex aroma that lasts , floral, sweet spiced fruits, marmalade and toffee.

Taste, more sweet spiced fruits, caramal biscuit, warm toast, smooth and creamy bitterness that lingers slightly.
Finishes dry , medium body , low carb, quite easy drinking for such a flavoursome beer.
:icon_cheers:

13 - Bullsneck - APA

1.JPG

Stirling effort

Pours with a large bubble head which settles and laces dreamily, dark amber and very nice on the nose, finishes slightly sweet for my taste but I suspect thats just my preference for a drier beer.

The nose is also well pleased with this beer and I find myself being very happy there is another one in the cellar but dissapointed Ive not got it in the fridge already... Will have to look up the recipe for sure.

I find this to be a very well ballenced beer and an absolute pleasure to drink... shit the galss has almost gone

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

4 Headbanging Bogans out of a moshpit (5)

an effing nice beer

Yob

17 - Vitalstatistix - Saison
Overcarbonated.
Tart with spicy, tangyness.
Alcoholy taste too.

Finished all my swap beers lastnight. Not a bad beer amougest them. looking forward to the next swap guys.

#3: Wolfman: Golden ale

Pours clear golden, tight white head, good retention.

Aroma of amarillo hops, slight malt.

Mouthfeel, body and carb all moderate.

Flavour of malt and a hit of amarillo with some bitterness mixed with astringency.

Really nice beer but would be better without the astringency. Differs from the bitter as I can feel it at the front of my tongue like a cup of tea that's been steeped too strong and too long.

Close to spot on without this and still a great drop.

16. Manticle - English IPA

Rich gold colour, pours with thick white head that slowly dissipates, great retention.

Lovely delicate aroma that persists, sweet grass, herbal, hints of marmalade and rich
toffee.

Plenty of malt upfront, rich biscuit and toffee, plenty of hop flavour to back it up
more delicate sweet herbal/ slightly earthy.
Prominent cleansing bitterness that lingers, clean finish, great aftertaste / complex.

A quintessential example of an English IPA

Thanks

Back