VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my 180L that I was trying to offload on here.

However, it needs a frame made up, and a valve to fit the 1" outlet.. anyone have a 1" to 1/2" bushing?

Are Vic swaps now at a point where we make a formal association, with a commitee. If so we could then as a group fund equipment purchases. $50 each would get us a decent 800-1000L tank. Further aside from swap days there are a few guys around the Melboune area that do collab brew days, and clubs, we could hire the kit out, to allow for further equipment purchases.

A lot of us spent more than $50 in fuel attending the last swap and will do so again to get to future swaps. I'd happily fork over some dough even if I was still on the reserve list.

As it currently stands equipment has fallen on the shoulders of a few, I'm sure they know it's appreciated. Maybe it's time we as a group take on some of that burden.

I can lend my Mongolian burner and stand. Also got my 45kg gas bottle full of cheap gas if you want that too. Probably not gunna make it to the swap but will throw it in with Martin or drop it off myself if needed. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477954258.436440.jpg

technobabble66 said:
News Flash:
Apparently Wayne can't attend due to real life reasons/lameness, so ...
Can anyone else bring a large-ish kettle that we could do a reduction boil on?

Also, for the Brewers attending that 2015 kinglake shenanigans:, who supplied the mash tuns, etc?
If Wayne supplied any of it (apart from the kettle) we need to ensure other parts are covered.
Essentially we're repeating a similar brewing schedule to the Wee Heavy, so I'm working on the framework of what was done in kinglake (aside from the 4*C ambient).
We usually use Waynes MLT too.

Does Cocko have instant hot water?

Mick, I am happy to source fittings for your pot. Please sms me photos of outlet and diamensions of it/tank. I can also weld up a frame for it.

We also probably need to look at a back up recipe Stu. This is an ambitious recipe for ghetto and unknown gear.

Maybe something with candi so that Martin doesn't have a cardiac arrest.

Yeah, I've been thinking

malt junkie said:
Are Vic swaps now at a point where we make a formal association, with a commitee. If so we could then as a group fund equipment purchases. $50 each would get us a decent 800-1000L tank. Further aside from swap days there are a few guys around the Melboune area that do collab brew days, and clubs, we could hire the kit out, to allow for further equipment purchases.

A lot of us spent more than $50 in fuel attending the last swap and will do so again to get to future swaps. I'd happily fork over some dough even if I was still on the reserve list.

As it currently stands equipment has fallen on the shoulders of a few, I'm sure they know it's appreciated. Maybe it's time we as a group take on some of that burden.
I've long thought we should make up a dual HEX that could handle up to one 500L mash tun each. I'd be happy to make them, but just can't foot the bill for all the copper and the vessels. I probably have all the fittings needed. Any plumbers here who can get/give mates rates on annealed copper?

Well the freight for the kettle posted above is over $500, that aint going to fly. If I hadn't pranged the car I'd be packing for a trip to my old stomping grounds to pick that kettle up, nice bit of kit!

idzy said:
We also probably need to look at a back up recipe Stu. This is an ambitious recipe for ghetto and unknown gear.

I'm having minor fibrillations now..... The Dingemanns Pils & Pale Ale malts have already been ordered. Please don't go changing things now.. :eek:

I found these 1000 litres tanks , I think they are asian made from 304 ssteel
the mob selling them can weld fittings & also make a stand for them etc etc
perfect for swap days

price was about $1k from memory .... this would certainly expand the cubing list.

the possibilities seem endless..... we could actually also start a barreling program with something like this ....hmmmm

24 x swappers and or cubist = $1200 .... $50 per head

just saying !

micbrew

tank.jpg

MartinOC said:
I'm having minor fibrillations now..... The Dingemanns Pils & Pale Ale malts have already been ordered. Please don't go changing things now.. :eek:
Whatever backup recipe has to use the same malt! And swappers buy the extra bags. I'll take one of each ;0)

malt junkie said:

I think we could probably go ahead with the committee.
It's pretty consistent with some of the main contributors, and the experience/IP of those who've organised the different elements is a massive aid to each one.
Might need to look at an incorporated club, or some such. The Merri Mashers have fairly recently formed, utilising a good system/structure, so it might be best to look at how that was done and replicate it. Just an idea.

----------------------
I'm not sure about the $$ contribution to group gear simply because it presents 2 problems:
1) where are we going to store the stuff?
Can it be used in between Case Swaps? then there's issues with some that paid would get enormous benefit from it, others won't, wear & tear, etc.

2) how do we sort out access to the cubes/brew days compared to those who contribute?
some people attend every one, some attend every 2nd one, some only make the occasional one. Not everyone who attends can get their name down for a cube, etc. Another part of this is, if the gear is to be used for years, how do we account for this cost over a time period - is it all just one big cost up front, or do we defray it over a few case swaps? Maybe each swap the contribution pays for 1 major piece of gear, and we continue to fill whatever gaps with private gear until we have the full set in a few years.

I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't or can't do it, more just flagging some issues that need to be resolved before embarking on that part of the plan. I'm also partly flagging these concerns as i'm unfortunately tight for cash - i appreciate others might be less stressed about $50 and this might seem like overcomplicating things.

Just my 2c B)

idzy said:
We usually use Waynes MLT too.

Does Cocko have instant hot water?

Mick, I am happy to source fittings for your pot. Please sms me photos of outlet and diamensions of it/tank. I can also weld up a frame for it.

MartinOC said:
The recipe is hopefully going to replicate the Wee Heavy brew day up at Kinglake.
So i'm hoping that if we replicate the gear from there, or very close to it, it *should* replicate the result - only this will be paler, use different hops, be boosted/darkened by the Candi Syrup from CB (to be added at home), and use Belgian yeasts.
Basically the targeted OG is very similar and essentially what i'm basing my assumptions on, that we simply need to replicate the Kinglake effort.
The Wee Heavy OG was ~1.088. The Westy12 clone should be ~1.078, with the syrup added to boost it to ~1.094. I think we're also using a little more malt than required (~6kg) to make it simpler, and might help with a little extra "efficiency"

I'm also working on the assumption that if it either goes tits up on the day and the OG is lower, or gear constraints etc mean we have to aim smaller, that the recipe being used should essentially still "work." The addition of the Candi syrup can either be lessened or increased, dropped, altered, etc to compensate one way or the other. That's part of the beauty of the Westy12 clone - the syrup provides a safety net variable to either compensate for Mr Cock-Up, or simply alter the wort to produce whatever other beer you want. Furthermore, the recipe is basically just Pale & Pilsner, plus a whisker of Melanoiden. So it's a fairly workable blank canvas even in a worst case scenario (i hope!! :lol: ). So i believe either way, we will make use of the ingredients Martin has lined up for it.

Ideally we'll also draw off roughly 150L to do a side-boil to reduce and caramelise while the main boil is starting/going, to be added in towards the end of the boil. This isn't absolutely necessary, but still pretty important. It's what Wayne's kettle was going to be used for - i believe we used his at Kinglake for this. So his absence shouldn't be too hard to fill on this front - whether it's done in a single or 2 smaller vessels it should be fine.

The real testicle kicker is whether we can cover his MLT. Was that a 200L?
We need to determine how to cover for that, most importantly.

Another issue that springs to mind is the slim chance we'll be able to do a lesser Westy12 batch as well. Again, similar to the Wee Heavy - i believe for that brew the sparge run-off at the end was still so high some of the guys collected wort for a second beer (?). Again, if we can pull that off, i'm not sure how we div'y it up, but probably best for everyone who might be interested to bring a second cube, and maybe some hops to cube, etc. Again, i need to converse with the brewers from Kinglake to check how they did the 2nd batch.

Latest posts

Back