VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D-180 (I'm assuming that's a typo above [emoji57]) will be fantastic, Martin!
It's a bit exxy considering what it costs in the U.S., but the quality is far greater than cheaper/homemade options, and freight adds up [emoji53] Seems a decent price.
Out of interest, what was the deal with BB options? Volume, namely, and price (to us, that is). Maybe PM me if you prefer. I'm asking mainly out of curiosity as it sounds too much hassle to follow up on. Fwiw, I also read on the CSI site that once their packs are opened they should be used within 30 days, so that might put an additional limit on any BB plans. (& also makes me wonder about quality of the Candi syrup grain&grape repackage).

When I got some in myself a few years ago, it was very close to the same price. It's exxy stuff to import, and most of that is shipping. There are no cheap shipping options any more from the US to Oz. We used to be able to do sea freight, but that's been eliminated.

Ahh that makes a bit more sense, mardoo. The descriptions sound like they intend Simplicity to be for the paler beers.
Mind you, Golden sounds pretty damn good.
And D-45
And D-90 [emoji1]

Man, I wish I knew how to make this stuff!!
I'd even consider a new career and see if the Aussie craft Brewers might start delving deeper into Belgian styles

Yep. Already saw and noted that [emoji6]
Already purchased both hard and syrup date sugar [emoji41]
Lining up a few more test batches, then onto the date sugarz!!

Their rep made reference to pressure vessels in their production facility when we had a conversation around distributing. And skilfully evaded my further questions…

Thanks, Big M! - *that* i didn't know.
I suspected there might've been some tricksy stuff being used in their process like pressure vessels - but i'd never know.

I'd guess they use pressure vessels to get the high temp points without needing to wait for the water to boil off sufficiently to allow the syrup to naturally hit them. All the fun happens ~115-135°C, which is pretty easy for pressure vessels to achieve. It'd most likely avoid some of the scorching issues also, as the liquid is much less viscous.
And i'd assume they've got spiffy kettles where they can hold certain temps perfectly & indefinitely - basically like an STC controlled kettle ... hmmm ... i wonder if i could get an Induction plate from Aldi, plus a stovetop pressure cooker, plus an STC ... hmmm ...

I believe the Belgians do their processing over up-to-3-days. I wonder if CSI does likewise?

Pity they were dodging any other info, though thanks for trying to delve! Unfortunately, it's the main reason they're so successful - they've spent a lot of time researching the best methods with great resources/equipment. If their process was known to others, anyone could open a competing business ASAP. Hell, i know i would! So they've got to be all secret squirrel about everything in their process. Man, i'd love to know even just the temp points they use! After extensive researching, it's pretty obvious everything on the internets is all just guesswork, unfortunately.

This discussion needs to move to the candy thread where I'll be able to find it when I start playin with sugars.

Martin are you going to start a buy thread for the Candy your getting definitely interested!

I might do it a bit closer to the date, depending on how many we can get & time between ordering & receiving.

MartinOC, if we can arrange someone who is willing to coordinate the split, we could do it as a bulk buy. I know i would be interested in a couple KG.

Edit: Split to be done a couple of weeks (at least) prior to swap.

So, with approximately 89% of all brewers preferring to brew a Westy 12 clone instead of a DIPA* we'll go ahead with the Westy 12 clone recipe.

The next issue is whether we can source the ingredients.

First up, we need Pilsner malt (~95kg) and Ale malt (~49kg). Preferably belgian (dingemanns) if possible.
I think it's best to go with some Melandoiden (~3.65kg) as well, to compensate for a probably lack of a decoction, or at least a large volume decoction.

Next is the hops.
680g each of Brewer's Gold, Hallertau Mittlefrau, and Styrians Goldings.

Finally the Dark Candi Syrup
24kg of D-180
-------------------------------
Now is anyone willing to donate any of their supplies? If not, we'll see if we can source it from CleverBrewing, and possibly hopdealz for the hops.

This obviously will all tally up to a "per-cube" cost, similar to previous case-swap-brews. The probable target here is to get a committed list of cubers, possibly to get the cash transferred before the swap (namely, i'm broke, so i can't afford to fork out for any more than my share in this). I'll iron out further details with CB as to how best to go about this. FWIW, those that donate offset their "per-cube cost", again similar to the previous CSB's

CB seem likely to be able to supply the D-180, so we also need to assess how many are keen to go with the D-180 - whether it's everyone or if some would prefer to avoid it and do something else with their cube.
Hopefully CB can also supply any shortfall (or all) of the malts.
I actually might be able to supply the Melanoiden myself.
------------------------

We also need to start confirming who can supply gear. Hopefully Adam & Wayne are definites for gear, as that might solve 90% of the needs right there.
------------------------

Any thoughts/suggestions (or commitments :D )?

* Maybe not be completely accurate

Whoops! A bit tardy on my part! 'Thought I'd already replied to this.

I've asked the Boss to add 100Kg of Dingemans Pils & 50Kg Dingemans Pale & 60L of D2 Candi to the next CB order from Cryer.

Confirmation is yet TBA. Probably OK, 'though.

Melanoidin - Possibly.

Stu, please adjust your recipe according to the nice round numbers... ;)

News Flash:
Apparently Wayne can't attend due to real life reasons/lameness, so ...
Can anyone else bring a large-ish kettle that we could do a reduction boil on?

Also, for the Brewers attending that 2015 kinglake shenanigans:, who supplied the mash tuns, etc?
If Wayne supplied any of it (apart from the kettle) we need to ensure other parts are covered.
Essentially we're repeating a similar brewing schedule to the Wee Heavy, so I'm working on the framework of what was done in kinglake (aside from the 4*C ambient).

Latest posts

Back