VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.006??? :O Epic. Did you measure the OG again? Guessing at that ALC% it wouldn't feel thin in the mouth at all being so low on FG?

Yeah it's a nice yeast. Same one I used in my tripel I brewed for the swap. It just quietly chugs away. I think the biggest the krausen got was 40mm.
Didn't measure OG and not sure exactly how my candy syrup went in either. Got most of the D2 we got from the swap out of the containers but the third lot was is a foil bag and left a bit more behind so maybe 1.3kg all up. It will be over 11% anyways.

TheWiggman said:
Oh word of warning - 3787/530 goes off like a wheat yeast so with a 1.076 beer it'll necessitate some blowoff consideration. In the case of 3787, it settles all creamy-like when finished and doesn't really drop unless chilled.
Wiggs, took your advice. Although instead of the blowoff I used my 60L fermenter.

1/2 a cake from a previous batch, revived 10hrs in the westy wort starting around 12pm y'day. Pitched 10pm. It's now down to 1.040(ish - hard to tell, hydro sample fermenting away crazily), ~10L krausen and airlock going off like diarrhoea after bad tacos.

So freakin' hard to keep the temps down on this one (esp since the inside of the shed is seeing temps in the low 40s). Half dozen frozen PET bottles in the fridge compartment to help with the temp, but still fermenting away at 20 - 21 instead of 18 - 19. Blahg.

Will candy sugar bomb it tomorrow.

Ran the second runnings beer with WLP545, added 500g amber candy chewed down to 1005. Weirdly hydro samples taste like banana bread just not as sweet. Cold crashing now, not sure if I'll bottle half or just keg the lot.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483835618.597183.jpg

Kegged the WLP-566 Saison from half a cube of the Partigyle batch. (seems pretty darn tasty!)

Drained the extra 10L cube of the Westy12 i snaffled onto the yeast cake & discovered some slimy stuff in amongst the wort. Wort seems sort of OK, but maybe a slight sulfury solvent aroma - after research might be Mercaptan, from a Megasphaera cerevisiae infection in the cube.
Un Faaaaarkin Believable!!!!
Particularly as i'm currently nuking my other FV after the other half of the Partigyle got an Aceto/Lacto infection in it.
So ******* annoyed right now!!!!!
(I don't even care if i'm using too many exclamation marks)

Might as well ferment this one for a little bit and see if it is an infection (99% sure it is) or maybe I'm wrong (99% sure i'm not).
FAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKK!!!!
:angry: :angry2:

Jeez, feel for you Stu! Was the cleanliness of the cube in question to start? Or should we who have not yet pitched this brew be concerned??

Thanks, Deej.

Cube might've been questionable.

I think, vaguely from memory, one of my 2 10Ls had a whisker of mold in the lid - maybe the one i grabbed in the heat of the moment (& the darkness) was the dodgy one. I'm not really sure, TBH. All the regular cubes should be fine, i believe/hope.

Got home a little while ago - the Saison yeast has taken off like a rocket. Krausen within 3hrs. Not sure if that makes me more annoyed or not.
FWIW, i realised it initially smelt similar to old yeast stocks of mine - a kinda solventy/estery, sulfury, yeasty aroma. Don't think it's a good thing.

Either way, i'm so damn annoyed i could punch a puppy.
So. *******. Sick. Of. Infections.

Update on the mini side-batch of Dubbel that i pitched a few days ago (i know you're all keen to hear what's happened to it ;) )
Strangely enough, after 4 days there's no sign of anything nasty or off in the hydro samples.
The WLP-566 has munched it's way through the wort, nice big 2" krausen on top. Dropped from 1.045 to 1.012 in 3 days (first 2 at 19°C, 3rd day at 22°C),
So i threw in 500g Amber Syrup & 90g D2 Syrup yesterday, bumping it back up to 1.022, and held at 22°C.
Today down to 1.010, and because it was too light in colour, threw another 185g D2 into it. Hydro sample looks a bit better now with a mid-to-dark amber hue.
Absolutely no indication in the flavour or aroma of anything bad from the wort/cube.

So basically, no idea what's happened, but i'm happy to shrug my shoulders and quietly line up some bottles to fill B)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485335448.922692.jpg
Opened a stubbie after 3 and a half weeks in the bottle. Probably needs another 3 to be fully carbed.
Tastes very sweet considering how low the FG was but this will be amazing in a few months when everything balances out a bit more.
Nice dark red colour.

Hey guys, regarding the previous discussion about equipment, I was at Keg King the other day and they now sell a 3/4" inlet/outlet pump. Looks like their other pumps, just bigger. Polysulfone head. They only just got it in. Didn't ask about SS head availability.

Mardoo said:
Hey guys, regarding the previous discussion about equipment, I was at Keg King the other day and they now sell a 3/4" inlet/outlet pump. Looks like their other pumps, just bigger. Polysulfone head. They only just got it in. Didn't ask about SS head availability.
Wonder which pump it is. Could be anything from an MP20 through to MP70, It'd be great if they came out with a SS head on a higher flow pump, the MP15 (their current version with SS head) lacks the get up and go for larger batch sizes.

Latest posts

Back