VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY got hold of some 3787 fresh off the boat. I made a 2.8l starter in a 3l flask and that was a mistake - it went completely bezerk and I had to clean the mess up about 4 times (hated seeing that creamy yeast go straight down the drain would have been at least 30ml).
Pitched today. Drum roll please...
I'm doing one with some D2. It'll be interesting to see if this lends a difference. Geez it tasted ballsy in the hydro sample though, bold and almost burnt, bitter as all hell.

Attenuated like a mo'fo', got to 1.005. One of the finest smelling brews in a fermenter, nay one of the finest smelling brews. I got heaps of that D2 splendour and it had quite a dank burnt biscuit character which I'd attribute to the reduction. Taste-wise, oh man. I sucked down some froth from the hose used to bulk prime and didn't get any harsh bitterness, it was flavour country.
To be honest I was of the opinion that these swap day brews would be a bit of a hack job. I'm pretty pedantic about process and control etc with my system and thought this would be a fun attempt at knocking up a beer. Wrong, this has all the calling cards of a competition beer and I can't wait to try the finished product. Good job lads.

Out of interest, are you staggering the Candi additions or adding them in a bulk lot? Also, when? I assume fairly close to FG.

Edit - grammar

Not sure what everyone is actually doing but in theory it's better to add the ~1kg of syrup in two 500g additions split a few days apart.
So after ~70-80% of the SG points are chewed through I'd add the first lot, and when the SG drops back down to the same level I'd add the second lot. And then maybe start raising the temp slightly at this (2nd) point to help the yeast finish it all off.
Conveniently, Martin split our D2 into ~500g tubs, so it should be easy for us to split it into 2 additions.

Did you actually do this Stu? I bought mine locally and tipped it all in at 1.015 or thereabouts. I have read the practice is to introduce it over a few days but I had a single 1kg pouch so would prefer not to open the fermenter more than once.

Nope, not done yet. I've had a few infection issues so most of summer has been taken up trying to re-sanitize everything [emoji30]
Will start the starter batch for the WLP-530 cake v soon!
Then intend to do as I described above.

I tasted the second runnings beer from the swap last night. I'd brewed it with WLP-545, and half a kilo of Amber. I don't think it has peaked just yet but initial tasting was superb, this may well be comp worthy in a few months.

Mike

TheWiggman said:
... Drum roll please...
Same.
OG=1.069.

Pitched today onto a (slightly small) WLP-530 yeast cake. Pitched at 23-24°C, slowly letting it drop to 19°C over the next 12-24hrs. hopefully it'll cope ok with that and not go to sleep.
Just to annoy MHB et al, i used a drop of olive oil and some H2O2 along with some vigorous stirring/frothing to hopefully optimise the oxygenation/preparation of the yeasties (given i don't have O2).

Smell and taste of the hydro sample was fantastic. Bit sad the OG is a little low, but i'm hoping the few grav points short won't be a biggie.
Fingers crossed it'll stay infection-free ;)

Don't forget it's got 1kg to go of that sweet sweet Candi, still makes for a strong drop thanks to the insanely long rest around 60°C during the 'ramp'.
Crossing my fingers it doesn't end up as a Westy Barnyard.

Yeah, it's meant to hit 1.076 from the straight grain. I actually couldn't remember if it was 1.079 or 1.069, but pretty sure it was '69 (, dude) given yours was also.
Krausen was formed & 1" thick within 3 hrs. Dropped it down to 20*C overnight and it still managed to fill the 8L headspace and had pushed on the glad wrap some time during the night. Came back to it an hour ago and it was back to pushing on the glad wrap and starting to blow through.
So I've dropped it to 19*c to see if that'll subdue it a little.
******* yeast.
SG down to 1.054 already. That's 15 points in ~15 hrs after pitching. Not bad!
Must be the H2O2 [emoji185]

Question! Looking at bottling later this week. Thought crossed my mind, could candy syrup be used for carbonation. If so, has anyone done this? And at what rate? Beerperiment??

malt junkie said:
Question! Looking at bottling later this week. Thought crossed my mind, could candy syrup be used for carbonation. If so, has anyone done this? And at what rate? Beerperiment??
Can definitely do.
I think CandiSyrup inc have information on the website for this.

FG?

Yes, I've carbed a few times with candi syrup, and yes, as TB66 noted, the Candisyrup Inc website gives guidelines.

I'd add, just as a side-note, as it's not so applicable to this beer, that using sugars with flavour for bottle-conditioning seems to extend the time needed for bottle-conditioning. This is my opinion based on my experience, but after about 20 batches worth of experimentation, it really seems the flavours need more conditioning time to integrate than the same beer bottles with dex.

CG(current gravity)1010, gave it a a second hit of fresh yeast Friday just gone was @1014 I'll give it a rouse tomorrow see if it moves any further hoping to bottle Saturday.

malt junkie said:
CG(current gravity)1010, gave it a a second hit of fresh yeast Friday just gone was @1014 I'll give it a rouse tomorrow see if it moves any further hoping to bottle Saturday.
Just put in one of those big shiny silver bottles.. Job done

Yob said:
Just put in one of those big shiny silver bottles.. Job done
Not a bad idea, and I do need to finish that keezer collar, I also hate bottling. :huh: ........hmmmm

Ot Yob still no Nelson?

Back