Throw Out Your Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Chillin is all where it is at ... for all you fly mothers ... get out and chill ...

But seriously ...

I use cubes and I did not vote for Aunty Julia :)

no but you drank everyones beer you mug

no but you drank everyones beer you mug

No I still have the beer for JYO .... but .... oops I did it .. I drank yours :-( ... but on an up shot it was really good and I will / have said to JYO ... I am a penis .. and a really big one !!!

Don't pick on the deaf guy ...

I feel bad :p

thats cool mate. next time. :) at least your not this bloke

5270641_std.jpg

thats cool mate. next time. :) at least your not this bloke

5270641_std.jpg

You got a good touch up by the lady at Big Als ... nice little brew shop .. heaps of bargains .. walked out with the keg .. gonna make a nice tun ... for my small batches ...

Matt

BTW ... your beer was awesome ... I want that recipe ... it was tops

wait you walked out with a buffer keg??

yeap i'll post the recipe up now.

want it ???

for a few $ its yours ... gonna make a great TUN !!!!

na its yours mate. i got some otehr leads to follow

Is this that Bookface all the kiddies are talking about?

Jeez, just logged on to AHB to soak up some time waiting for a plane - but after reading this I think I'll go back to staring out the window... :blink:

Oh thank you all for proving I'm not doing anything dangerous by no chilling!

I love proof, reminds me of this quote:

"The book points out that the Babel fish could not possibly have developed naturally, and therefore both proves and disproves the existence of God:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing".
"But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing." HHGTTG

depends on how much botulism is in that wheel barrow, been carting around dirt just before hand?

I feel like stirring that pot....

So, all those comments about chucking out swollen cubes, if the beta acids in your wort de-activate the spores, then how is a swollen cube related to botulism?

Anybody care to explain?

The government should subsidise hops, in the interest of safety.

I have NFI what relationship PPM (of the CB inhibiting acid) to IBU's is, however I read somewhere in last couple of pages that the effective minimum concentration was below the human taste threshold. I read elsewhere, with regard to IBU's, that to most people, 5 IBU's is the minimum amount where a change in bitterness is tasted. Ie. most of us wouldn't taste any difference between 22 and 25 IBU's, but we would taste a difference between 22 and 27 IBU's. That would suggest to me that the threshold for tasting IBS's would be <5.

Of course, this may be completely wrong. :)

The government should subsidise hops, in the interest of safety.

I have NFI what relationship PPM (of the CB inhibiting acid) to IBU's is

Isn't IBU = ppm of alpha acids? That would make the ppm of beta acids in wort dependent on the ratio of alpha:beta acids in the type(s) of hops you are using. I guess it is possible if you were making a hefeweizen or maybe a lager and used 20 ibu of a hop with a low ratio of beta to alpha there is a small chance you could be under 5ppm beta acids?

*I just googled most of this so might have it backwards.

;)

*Big assumption that alpha and beta acids are extracted at similar rates during the boil?

so - you're all sure, on the basis of one patent application, the basic science of which no can seem to find - that its all fine and dandy now?

any of you blokes wanna buy a used car??

FFS, only one of you seems to have any bloody idea what hop beta acids even are, but you're all sure they're a silver bullet. Smells hoppy so it must be alright - jeezus

No-chill was never a threat for botulism. Dr K said it in his first post and no one with a modicum of sense has posted anything that suggests it is a problem. The hurdles to infection are just too many - I've mentioned most of them, all of them have been talked about (even if they do seem to be misunderstood too) - to make the chance of a CB infection anything other than stupidly remote.

BUT - Darren reminded us, that its only a little bit away from being a problem, a really serious one. And if people, as people inevitably do, take shortcuts, dont do things properly, use half instead of a whole solution, or misunderstand the risk - then someone could die.

No-Chill is not inherrently risk free - it can be made more than acceptably safe and the general practise does that. But to refuse to admit that there is a risk potential in the first place?? foolish. To drink a cube that you know is infected when there exists even the remotest chance that the infection could harm you? idiotic.

Back