Throw Out Your Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[EDIT: dangerous misinformation removed in light of correction given below. Apologies to anyone who had already read the offending post.]

Thanks bradbrew - I'm fucked then <_< . Carry on

I have been know to inhale beer ..... I deny inhaling any leafy green substance though (the Bill Clinton defence)

Yes, really. That "one fibre is as dangerous as a hundred"-bullshit everyone spouts is bullshit.

Actually it is the fact that if you have been in an environment that has seen you inhale one fibre, you have most likely inhaled multiple fibres.

Actually it is the fact that if you have been in an environment that has seen you inhale one fibre, you have most likely inhaled multiple fibres.
When I was getting my class B non-friable asbestos removal ticket we were told that the exposure must be overwhelming (i.e. need to cough). I'm not pretending this is much of a qualification (it isn't) but I'd expect the contents of Worksafe accredited training programs to largely be correct.

[EDIT: erm...corrected the name of the ticket]

When I was getting my class B non-friable asbestos ticket we were told that the exposure must be overwhelming (i.e. need to cough). I'm not pretending this is much of a qualification (it isn't) but I'd expect the contents of Worksafe accredited training programs to largely be correct.
Really they told you that? WOW. How many times do you need to cough? When my trainers deliver this course to people we are more informative. That was bad advice perhaps you shoukld go back to the RTO and argue to get your money back.

Edit . The course may be accredited but has it been audited by Worksafe.

Eh, I'm out of the game now and the reason we had to do the training was a company we contracted to panicking rather than us actually having any real reason to work with asbestos. I'll happily accept your correction and offer my apologies. I'll go back and edit out the part in question so as not to mislead anyone in such a dangerous fashion.

Asbestos scares me, that I have have worked with more than most of you guys.
Batz

I was just taking the piss re asbestos - didnt mean to derail this interesting thread.
Cheers
BBB

Eh, I'm out of the game now and the reason we had to do the training was a company we contracted to panicking rather than us actually having any real reason to work with asbestos. I'll happily accept your correction and offer my apologies. I'll go back and edit out the part in question so as not to mislead anyone in such a dangerous fashion.

No worries Bum. It's a scary product and my company has put alot of work into developing a product to inform workers and the public of its dangers. So much so that we actually got acredited within parliment for our qualification and everyone who works within QLD government contracts has to complete the course we developed.

Still can't believe, well actually I can, that there are trainers out there who offer this advice to people who come for advice.

Cheers

I was just taking the piss re asbestos - didnt mean to derail this interesting thread.
Cheers
BBB

Yeah your right triple B. But at least its not just dribble.

I would still like to see the results of a CB vs no chill experiment.

Sounds like everybody's pretty certain that their post-boil worts have >5ppm beta acids. :)

I've enjoyed digging around the problem at least I know a lot more about.

FWIW, Jon Herskovits from Five Star got back to me.. and none of their Sanitation of Brew cleaning products are active against C.b. spores. However:
"Jon Herskovits" said:
we make a product that is used as a decon for weapons of Mass descruction (Both Chemicals and Biological). We even have kill against Anthrax. However, I don't sell that product to Homebrewers.

:)

OK so botulism is off the table.. how about cyanide poisoning in cherry beer?

I forgot what I was about to post so I'll let it be.

Asbestos scares me, that I have have worked with more than most of you guys.
Batz

How do you think I feel, I used to work for James Hardie for a time FFS... :(

Isn't IBU = ppm of alpha acids? That would make the ppm of beta acids in wort dependent on the ratio of alpha:beta acids in the type(s) of hops you are using. I guess it is possible if you were making a hefeweizen or maybe a lager and used 20 ibu of a hop with a low ratio of beta to alpha there is a small chance you could be under 5ppm beta acids?

*I just googled most of this so might have it backwards.

Thanks bradbrew - I'm fucked then <_< . Carry on

I have been know to inhale beer ..... I deny inhaling any leafy green substance though (the Bill Clinton defence)
Guilty BBB ,Sails a boat down from Indo, why , because ...........
I like looking at the horizon . What about all that hash that washed up on the beach about the same time ?
Nev

Latest posts

Back