Throw Out Your Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the symtoms for botulism, its good to know I had a bout of it on the weekend and it had nothing to do with the 7 pints I had.

http://www.medicinenet.com/botulism/page4.htm
What are the symptoms of botulism?
The classic symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness. Constipation may occur. The doctor's examination may reveal that the gag reflex and the deep tendon reflexes like the knee-jerk reflex are decreased or absent.

just brew high grav beer and let the alc kill it. tactical nuclear penguins all round!

sorry for the OT

and im flying in the face of botulism and no chilled again.

looking at the symtoms for botulism, its good to know I had a bout of it on the weekend and it had nothing to do with the 7 pints I had.

http://www.medicinenet.com/botulism/page4.htm
What are the symptoms of botulism?
The classic symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness. Constipation may occur. The doctor's examination may reveal that the gag reflex and the deep tendon reflexes like the knee-jerk reflex are decreased or absent.

just brew high grav beer and let the alc kill it. tactical nuclear penguins all round!

sorry for the OT

and im flying in the face of botulism and no chilled again.

Every time I drink my no chilled beer I get blurred vision, slurred speach
and lose muscle control, here I was putting it down to alcohol, how foolish, it must be botulism.

Is there any chance of getting Botulism from no chilling into old cubes?

Don't all cubes have botulism in them?

SJW- If you store your cubes full of napisan for awhile it should clean them up real nice. I always store my cubes full of napisan, means they're clean when i want them.

i knew posting that prison link would be some ammo for tnd.

i wonder if dumping a footy boot full of botulosm containing soil into the fermenter after high krausen will result in botulism poisoning. i'd call it dry botching.

botulism seems to enhance the effects of alcohol. This could be a way to increase bang for your buck whilst also keeping under the limit.

botulism seems to enhance the effects of alcohol. This could be a way to increase bang for your buck whilst also keeping under the limit.
The new party drug u recon

I'll grab a Red dog and botulism please

Entrepreneur of the year

I have done about 5 batches now with my immersion chiller, but i did a batch of Altbier with a cube the other day. Cos i was feeling lazy.

You may find yourself pissing from the left side of your willy only due to paralysis.

Most brewers don't even notice it.

Unfortunately I regularly go to patients that claim they have had their drinks spiked when I know they have just drunk more than they can handle.

Lately I have been telling the really annoying ones that, with the symptoms they are displaying, I can't rule out botulism. Makes them freak out a little and makes my night go a bit quicker. B)

Bottulism is the new Brett.

Wyeast authentic no-chill cube culture 666

Am currently working up a recipe for a dry botched IPA that I may do for the club dinner later this year. Where would I find the most reliable source of the botch? - D'you reckon I could just take samples of the potato salad from a local salad bar or should I go to a kebab place in Nicholson street?

For the authentic italian botulism dry meat a pound of ground up salami for 3 months into the fermenter once fermentation is complete.

Edit: make sure it is nitrite free or this may effect the bott

Unfortunately I regularly go to patients that claim they have had their drinks spiked when I know they have just drunk more than they can handle.

Lately I have been telling the really annoying ones that, with the symptoms they are displaying, I can't rule out botulism. Makes them freak out a little and makes my night go a bit quicker. B)

"the really annoying ones" - 98% strike rate.

14 ga canula achieves the same result.

Tell their friends they really just need a slappin' and watch them help out.

:icon_cheers:
Martin

Thanks for posting that RobW! Very interesting.
I wonder what SG/OG you need to get an AW of <0.94 then?

So it's down to the hop Beta acids then.

Maybe the hop acids or low pH in geneal, maybe C. botulinum is just an unlikely contaminant of the brewing process.

Maybe it can survive in wort but the fermentation process and resultant alcohol denatures the vegetative forms and toxins.

There also seems to be disagreement about the AW values required for inhibition:
Microorganism InhibitedawClostridium botulinum A, B.97Clostridium botulinum E.97
If we accept these figures it makes more sense.

Latest posts

Back