Alternative to cooling coil. Dual Temperature Vest.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s the coil not the glycol unit. The glycol unit won’t come into the web page for about another 3 weeks

I popped over to Keg King today and got some photos. I did check the temperature setting and it was on minus 6C, so presuming it hasn't been changed from the video. The water glycol wouldn't be much more than a litre as it is cooled by counterflow.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0250 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0250 - Copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I popped over to Keg King today and got some photos. I did check the temperature setting and it was on minus 6C, so presuming it hasn't been changed from the video. The water glycol wouldn't be much more than a litre as it is cooled by counterflow.

View attachment 123837

View attachment 123838
What are they using for connections to the jacket? Would the jacket need to come off everytime you need to move the fermenter?

What are they using for connections to the jacket? Would the jacket need to come off everytime you need to move the fermenter?
Do you move the fermenter when it’s full?
Once you have cold crashed and emptied the fermenter do you clean in place? Or move it to clean? Either way once the jacket has warmed up it would then be pliable enough to remove it and store until it’s put back onto the fermenter
I use a glycol chiller through a coil with the glycol lines connected via qc connectors. It’s bit of a pain with the (even small) amount of liquid that leaks when you disconnect the qc’s
I’d rather leave the glycol lines permanently attached to the jacket

Do you move the fermenter when it’s full?
Once you have cold crashed and emptied the fermenter do you clean in place? Or move it to clean? Either way once the jacket has warmed up it would then be pliable enough to remove it and store until it’s put back onto the fermenter
I use a glycol chiller through a coil with the glycol lines connected via qc connectors. It’s bit of a pain with the (even small) amount of liquid that leaks when you disconnect the qc’s
I’d rather leave the glycol lines permanently attached to the jacket
That's great, how are you going to attach the lines?

That's great, how are you going to attach the lines?
I’d use either dripless connectors (male and female from AliExpress if you really wanted to separate them or use hose barb joiners and clamp the hoses

I’d use either dripless connectors (male and female from AliExpress if you really wanted to separate them or use hose barb joiners and clamp the hoses
I think you are missing my main point. I'm asking about the connection to the jacket itself. The only pictures so far have only shown 4 fairly wide black holes.

Fair point. It looks t a bit like the jacket comes with the hoses attached and with a purpose built plug on the end to go into the glycol unit (but I could be wrong)
I’ve got a couple of the cool zone jackets (from America and cost twice as much and are shorter). They came with short hoses attached

So the Dual temperature vests are in stock, got myself a vest and a Junior jacket with some silicone tube to fit the barbs. I don't need the Kegmaster Chilli Unit. I will be using the Thermentor King Max, not looking to go to low a temperature so suits my needs just fine.
As an aside there is a garage sale taking place at Keg King where there are some Thermentor Kings on sale for half price plus kegerators and plenty of other brewing gear. A week on Saturday is the great event the 7th October. If anyone manages to score a Thermentor King the Flow and Tell is a must, just to makes sure that liquid is moving through the cooler.
IMG_0287 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

Apologies if this is a bit of a simple question - but where does the probe of the STC (temperature controller) come from? The glychol in solution?

Mate think about it. What temp will the temp probe control?
What device do you want the STC to turn on and off and when?

Apologies if this is a bit of a simple question - but where does the probe of the STC (temperature controller) come from? The glychol in solution?
Well if you mean where does the probe plug in, it is the hole at the side of the STC, but using the Max with a junior keg then the business end of the probe will have to be taped to the outside of the keg. So it will be right against the vest, the source heating/cooling so I will have set the STC by trial and error to get the pouring temperature I want. Using it with the Apollo isn't a problem with the thermowell.

Latest posts

Back