Alternative to cooling coil. Dual Temperature Vest.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
Enlarging on the cooling coil cleaning here is a sneak preview of the Dual Temperature Vest. Something that is by far more efficient and best of all no immersing into the wort necessary. Of course the thermal jacket goes over the top while cooling or heating. The vest is 1,180 mm long.

Jacketed fermenters are brewing industry standard equipment found in practically every modern brewery installation.
By creating a double wall on the fermenter body, the entire tank shell can then be flooded with temperature controlling glycol solution so the brewers can get the entire tank to hold their desired temperatures, warm, cold or even freezing, all without coming into direct contact with the fermenting beverage.
The Keg King Dual Temp Vest is far more effective than messy coil based temperature controlling systems that rely upon a relatively small contact area of stainless steel tubing immersed within the liquid inside the fermenter to do the job of temperature control.
Our Dual Temp Vest surrounds your fermenter, embracing the walls with a larger surface area than coil based temperature control, providing a generous layer held right against your tank, emanating your desired temperature directly through the fermenter walls.
Clean up is a breeze! With Dual Temp Vest, there isn’t any need to clean the jacket after fermentation because, unlike coils, there is no direct contact with the beverage.
You can also use our Dual Temp Vest on other tanks and vessels , not just fermenters.
Use it on kegs or any vessels that you want to either keep warm or chill down and serve without a fridge or the need to buy bags of ice!

The Keg King Dual Temp Vest provides a cleaner, larger surface contact area that's perfect for all your temperature control requirements.

IMG_0237 - Copy.JPG

Dressed to chill.

IMG_0236 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0235 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0235 - Copy.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Been keen to kick cooling coils for a while now but for the price of a jacketed ss fermenter none have impressed me. Have KK done any testing done on stainless fermenters/kegmenters? I've only seen the video where the managed to freeze a PET fermenter.

When are they releasing these and what will the cost be?

I assume the idea is to run glycol through this? What are the fittings?
An additional insulation jacket over the outside is this would be a good idea if not already created.

Been keen to kick cooling coils for a while now but for the price of a jacketed ss fermenter none have impressed me. Have KK done any testing done on stainless fermenters/kegmenters? I've only seen the video where the managed to freeze a PET fermenter.

When are they releasing these and what will the cost be?
If they can cool a PET fermenter effectively then wouldn’t you get a better temp transfer through the stainless steel. So I would say yes that they work quite well on a stainless fermenter. (They also say that they can be used on kegs so……)

If they can cool a PET fermenter effectively then wouldn’t you get a better temp transfer through the stainless steel. So I would say yes that they work quite well on a stainless fermenter. (They also say that they can be used on kegs so……)
I mean I'm also questioning it's ability to cool the PET fermenter too, it could have been thrown in a chest freezer for all we know.

I'd like to see the data vs a coil. There have been jackets like this in the past and always understood they didn't go well because they weren't very efficient.

From my memory the main reason is because you end up with air pockets between the PVC jacket and the stainless body which hinders cooling ability. The cooling from the glycol has to move through the PVC then through the air then through the stainless.

I'll likely still get a couple for kegs and fermenter that don't have the ability to take a coil easily.

I mean I'm also questioning it's ability to cool the PET fermenter too, it could have been thrown in a chest freezer for all we know.

I'd like to see the data vs a coil. There have been jackets like this in the past and always understood they didn't go well because they weren't very efficient.

From my memory the main reason is because you end up with air pockets between the PVC jacket and the stainless body which hinders cooling ability. The cooling from the glycol has to move through the PVC then through the air then through the stainless.

I'll likely still get a couple for kegs and fermenter that don't have the ability to take a coil easily.
I'm with you. My engineering mind would go with a coil being much more efficient.... but in saying that WEAL has stated the benefits on being on the outside. Efficiency matters when large amounts of power are required but not really something we need to worry about with homebrewing.

Most PET fermenters have some sort of jacket that you can buy for them. Alternatively, you could always use the box and packaging your fermenter comes in to make a cheap, easy, and light weight option for additional insulation. Old nonworking fridges or freezers would also work. Looks like a fantastic product and the more options we have for temp control the better.

These are very very cool. Probably talking about a 6/8kg ice bank plus the jacket plus some glycol?

I noticed it and then tried to find it on their website :) Thats good though, will keep it even more afforable.

I really like it. I have a number of different size fermenters I've accumulated over the years and it could easily be adopted for keg dispensing.

Latest posts

Back