Turning Japanese.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Why wouldn't ya?
Cheap drinkies isn't the only reason we visit, far from it, but its a very nice perk.
As is the fact you can step out of a decent restaurant well fed and watered for around $60 Aussie. Family of four mind you.
Arigato Gozaimasu indeed.

Read' Em and weep.
Yes, thats $23.72 AU for a liter of Makers Mark.

P41bFxS.jpg

A scrape over $13 for a sixer of delicious Kirin in the correctly sized 500ml cans.

BD64M9n.jpg

And if you just want to get the job done and use up all those 100 Yen coins jangling around in your pocket, Strong Zero packs a fortifying 9% abv at .99c a pop.
My fist dance with these was way back in 2018 in the midst of that awful heatwave. You'd see the odd salaryman standing by a ubiquitous alcohol dispensing vending machine (another marvel of Japanese society) for a quick ciggy and a sup of this mysterious lemon drink. I reasoned this was the done thing.

In the 40 deg heat an eleventy billion percent humidity, a couple of those and I was even more useless at helping navigate the Tokyo rail system.

5frgDGl.jpg

I love Japan.

I also love free beer.

(Well, of course its not technically free as I'm sure its baked into the cost of accommodation. But the illusion is strong..)
Spent a few nights at Ginzano onsen where the handle is yours to pull from 11am to 11pm daily.

Of course, you know how it goes when a bunch of 'amateurs' have a crack a pulling a beer.
There were more than a few foamy pours and giggles.

It may have been impolite to offer unsolicited advice, especially given the language barrier. So I just stood by and went 'Oooh, haha!'

Still, the urge chime in with 'Mate, you gotta hold it up and tilt the glass, tilt the glass, like this' or 'No, no, no, don't hold it half open, its either on or off!' was almost overwhelming.

Its a thing of beauty.

pgE1y3G.jpg

Back