Throw Out Your Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less than two weeks ago (and more than 350 posts ago) when I started this, what was to become an, opus:
I followed with a series of points made about no-chill, none of which said no chill was bad, in fact quite the opposite, and proposed a simple, cheap , well proven method as an alternative. Now some may say I posted with cynical intent, but, frankly influenced somewhat by a recent re-reading of Umberto Eco's collection of essays "Travels in Hyperreality" I posted with semiotic intent.
But back to the point of the post: It would appear that after much discussion and even some brave poster putting his hand up to experiment with biotoxins (now that is silly),...drumroll... brewing of beer does not cause botulism!!!
All this science I don't understand. Observation I do understand, whilst all science is in the first instance based on observation, Science does not hold a monopoly on observation.
I hope that others have enjoyed this, and gained as much out of this as I have, but I think this threads time has come.
So long and thanks for all the AD Hope references.

K

Irrespective of your literary influences, you started a thread that was inevitably going to cause a shit storm and are now surprised it has become one?

I think people have enjoyed it, yes (and thankyou, in spite of the fact you may not have intended so). I'm also glad one of the main detractors of the method, who in the main, asserts his criticisms with not so subtle barbs, balloon pricking and general mud throwing, is happy to attempt a slightly more impartial test, possibly in collaboration with some people who have vehemently disagreed with him and his posting methods on a number of occasions. It's a nice shift in my, possibly worthless, opinion.

Science as a basic idea might be considered a quantifying of observation and as such, I don't think those who seek to do so are claiming a monopoly on observation. The scientists who do become one eyed and dogmatic.

Not sure why I bothered posting and I'm not really sure why you did either, Umberto notwithstanding.

## It causes no more reported cases of botulism that conventional chilling.

This statement does not make sense. I observed this within your first post and I observed this when you referenced your quote.

Does it mean I can come out now?

daily_issue_image_2011_07_28_nw_20110727_8719.jpg

I didn't know you were gay?

Of course you can come out whenever you like.

We're all friends here (except for the bastards, pricks and arseholes).

Oh thank you all for proving I'm not doing anything dangerous by no chilling! Thanks a million. Now I have to find something else that is risky!

I thought you came out years ago............Well thats what Sean said. :lol:

edit. beaten by manticle

What about the Clostridium botulinum?

Oh thank you all for proving I'm not doing anything dangerous by no chilling! Thanks a million. Now I have to find something else that is risky!

You could join a SE Queensland swap.

Tip your spent grain in a pile on your garden and finish brewing then cube, 2 days later stick your hands to the centre of the the grain pile for 2 minutes then rub your hands into your cleaned and sterile fermenter and pour your cube into the fermenter trying not to introduce much oxygen. Let the beer ferment, then bottle or keg. When you are ready to try the beer get drK over to observe (he likes to watch). He can then pass on the results.

Cheers

Sorry guys, Ive been a bit busy.

Can someone give me a quick run down on whats been going on here? :rolleyes:

Mattrass
No chilling is OK - so is chilling apparently so relax...
but now someone said something about asbestos and mesothilioma .... what happens if a fibre gets in my cube - am I f^&ked ?
I'm freaking out now
Cheers
BBB

but now someone said something about asbestos and mesothilioma .... what happens if a fibre gets in my cube - am I f^&ked ?
I'm freaking out now
Cheers
BBB

Asbestos is a real threat and has been proven to cause health issues unlike CB in no chilling. Dont worry if a fibre gets into your cube because you can ingest but not inhale asbestos fibres. It wont be the ingested fibre that causes the health issue but if you are in the same environment that caused an asbestos particulate to fall into your cube then you have almost certainly inhaled the fibres in multiple and may not see the effects for 30+ years. Also depends on the grade of asbestos fibre that you have inhaled.

Asbestos is a real threat and has been proven to cause health issues unlike CB in no chilling. Dont worry if a fibre gets into your cube because you can ingest but not inhale asbestos fibres. It wont be the ingested fibre that causes the health issue but if you are in the same environment that caused an asbestos particulate to fall into your cube then you have almost certainly inhaled the fibres in multiple and may not see the effects for 30+ years. Also depends on the grade of asbestos fibre that you have inhaled.
Also depends on how much you breathe in...but we're not supposed to talk about that.

Back