Test Tube Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
hey guys, im just putting this one out here. im looking at doing a test tube bulk by. im currently looking at this range
http://www.labdirect.com.au/product.aspx?pid=641
myself and a couple of others are interested in the 50ml free standing, but have yet to make a decision on the size and shape.
if your interested in this ether reply on this google spread sheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tlg...744BGhb002qkhag
or directly to me.
note this is only still in the planning stage so no price has been set, minimum order will be 50 units once this gets off the ground.
also anyone who has a better source feel free to put it forward.
cheers barls

hey guys, im just putting this one out here. im looking at doing a test tube bulk by. im currently looking at this range
http://www.labdirect.com.au/product.aspx?pid=641
myself and a couple of others are interested in the 50ml free standing, but have yet to make a decision on the size and shape.
if your interested in this ether reply on this google spread sheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tlg...744BGhb002qkhag
or directly to me.
note this is only still in the planning stage so no price has been set, minimum order will be 50 units once this gets off the ground.
also anyone who has a better source feel free to put it forward.
cheers barls

I'm not sure whether this new fangled google thing saved my update. If not, put me down for 50 of the freestanding tubes. Not sure about size... 15ml would be better for slants but 50 could be used for slants and other things as well...

One question as well... I couldn't see it on the link provided - Are they autoclaveable?

Cheers
Dave

Does this mean I shouldn't buy any more re: my other thread (second round of sales)?

Ie, are people going to just go in on the bulk buy instead of buying off me? (i'm not fussed either way, just dont want mountains of tubes at my house :D)

Edit: actually, if you're going to bulkbuy the plastic ones only, I'm still happy to sell the pyrex ones?

Hey guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you using them for? I have already asked myself that question when I saw Sera's previous thread.

Thanks,
Florian

People store yeast in test tubes, either under water as a suspension, or on yeast slants. (edit: yeast slants mean you store them on a solid medium such as agar or a gel)

It's a good way to save money (you can grow out a batch of store-bought yeast, and save some, which if you're careful, you probably never need to buy again).

Alternatively if you reuse your yeast a bit, the yeast mutates over generations and gives different flavour profiles and attenuation, so you can effectively take a "snapshot" of yeast at a particular time, and generate a beer using that generation's yeast. It's one way new yeasts are found/discovered/coerced into existence.

sera not intending to step on anyones toes, i prefer the plastic as they dont break when i drop them.

airgead and raven, you have both been added as saved.

barls, yeah, no worries, that's not even on the cards at the moment, I was just curious to see if people who were going to go glass will now go plastic, is all :)

I'll take 50, would prefer the 15, but dont care

hey sinkas keep an eye on this might be dropping the minimum order at a later stage.

Hi Sera, thanks for explaining, I kinda thought it was for yeast at first, but then thought they would be too small, seeing a lot of people use bottles.

If (or better: once) I get into that I am pretty sure I would prefer glass over plastic, for no obvious reason, maybe for a bit of that old school chemistry lab feel...
I just trust glass more than plastic.

np florian. okay i guess ill get some glass ones in and flog them off here. btw, my next lot of test tubes is probably a month away, so it will have no impact on this bulk buy .. i ain't mowin nobody's turf :p

also people use bigger bottles sometimes for other reasons, if they culture a lot of yeast storing it in a schott bottle helps sometimes, and also the larger bottles/flasks you see are for making starter cultures (usually you go test tube --> small flask --> bigger flask --> fermentor) such that you dont stress the yeast by throwing it in an environment its not used to.

anyway enough off-topicness from me!

I'll add a bit more off topic - if anyone goes for an erlenmeyer (preferably glass) bulk buy I'd be in.

I would think about jumping in here for a few more but I prefer glass.

ok ive just spent the last hour updating the spreadsheet.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tlg...744BGhb002qkhag
it now has a price once you put in the amount of units, i havent put in postage yet as i need to figure out how im going to pack them and if they will fit in a 5kg express post bag.

i need everyone to go back and check their order as atm we are at two carton but but could get the third if needed, also the freight is just an estimate at this stage on two or three cartons.
although we can get rid of this if we pick up from Wetherill Park.
do any members involved work or live near there??

thanks to whoever it was that reorder the sheet, im going to have to redo all the calculations

I would probably buy a smaller amount also if it were available. Maybe you want an extra 25 Barls?

I don't know if anyone is interested in other stuff from that site but I would be keen to pick up a 2L flask and maybe a couple bottles and a glass funnel.
Maybe I will do that separately.

id happly split you 25 out of mine mate,
btw its all working again sorry about the hissy fit, its just annoying after spending 2 hours working out all the calculations and making the formula work together.

Latest posts

Back