Ss Brewtech "Chronical" 7 Gallon Conical Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, so the trub loss shouldn't change though right? As that is the finished yeast, hops and other break material that's made it through. Size of vessel shouldn't change that should it?

On the dead space I guess with the pickup tube there is a minimum lower level you can rotate that arm to. Does anyone know what volume is left in the fermenter below that point?

If one was to dump the yeast/trub before cold crashing the brew, that would increase the losses if using the pickup tube as there would be beer in the conical section with no yeast/trub cake below it?

Hmm maybe I'm better off with a 26L....

FWIW, I use my 64L to make singles. These singles usually are 23 to 30L. No perceived problems on my end. I have been thinking about putting some CO2 on top just in case. Every time I get to that stage I get a case of the CBFs.

I love the Chronical. So easy to use. So easy to clean. So damn sexy.

There's always the 49 lt version, the Chronical 14.

If you're looking to just fill 2 x 19 lt kegs, it's kind of an ideal size.

booker_h said:
FWIW, I use my 64L to make singles. These singles usually are 23 to 30L. No perceived problems on my end. I have been thinking about putting some CO2 on top just in case. Every time I get to that stage I get a case of the CBFs.

I love the Chronical. So easy to use. So easy to clean. So damn sexy.
Thanks for the feedback mate.
Well some data I saw suggests you get 300L CO2 produced for a typical single 5gallon batch of brew, so should mean your headspace is totally purged out even for a single in a 64L chronical.

WarmerBeer said:
There's always the 49 lt version, the Chronical 14.

If you're looking to just fill 2 x 19 lt kegs, it's kind of an ideal size.
From what I can gather that size is no longer available at site sponsors. Only the 26L and 64L? But I agree it would probably be the best of both worlds for me.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Interesting, so the trub loss shouldn't change though right? As that is the finished yeast, hops and other break material that's made it through. Size of vessel shouldn't change that should it?

On the dead space I guess with the pickup tube there is a minimum lower level you can rotate that arm to. Does anyone know what volume is left in the fermenter below that point?

If one was to dump the yeast/trub before cold crashing the brew, that would increase the losses if using the pickup tube as there would be beer in the conical section with no yeast/trub cake below it?

Hmm maybe I'm better off with a 26L....
I'm just talking comparatively, or rather as a percentage of the total batch size. But yeah, the actual volume amount does not change.

Anyone know for sure if the Chronical 14 (49L) version is still part of the lineup and likely to be stocked by local sellers next influx? Convinced now that the 64L would be too large for my needs and become annoying, so either the 7 or the 14 are perfect, both of which I can't find in stock atm.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Anyone know for sure if the Chronical 14 (49L) version is still part of the lineup and likely to be stocked by local sellers next influx? Convinced now that the 64L would be too large for my needs and become annoying, so either the 7 or the 14 are perfect, both of which I can't find in stock atm.
I've got the 14gal ss brewtech which is actually 53l plus a litre of head space in the lid. Got it from cheaky peak around 3mths ago.

Fermented any single size batches in it and had any grief or gripes?

I've asked around and there are no 14gal actually in stock anywhere at the moment. Happy to be patient if it means I get the best size for my needs [emoji3]

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I've asked around and there are no 14gal actually in stock anywhere at the moment. Happy to be patient if it means I get the best size for my needs [emoji3]
Only 1 single of 25l and I didn't notice any ill effects and kegged and bottled approx 21l.

I looked at the 64l but decided the 54l would be best as I aim for 46-50l and wanted to do the odd single batch as well.

Best of luck with finding whats best for your needs I know the 54l suits me to a T.

Cheers

I pussy footed around for a bit. Umming and arrrr-ing between the 54L and the 64L. In the end I thought that it's easier to under fill rather than over fill. I went the 64L.

Brownsworthy said:
Only 1 single of 25l and I didn't notice any ill effects and kegged and bottled approx 21l.

I looked at the 64l but decided the 54l would be best as I aim for 46-50l and wanted to do the odd single batch as well.

Best of luck with finding whats best for your needs I know the 54l suits me to a T.

Cheers
I've got the 14 gal version as well and it is the perfect size for filling two 19l kegs. Have done anything from 25l-40l batches in it without issue.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any size Chronical. They are a great bit of kit.

forshoa said:
I've got the 14 gal version as well and it is the perfect size for filling two 19l kegs. Have done anything from 25l-40l batches in it without issue.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any size Chronical. They are a great bit of kit.
so how did you go with the passivation? Did you use the TSP cleaner?

2much2spend said:
so how did you go with the passivation? Did you use the TSP cleaner?
Yep....used the TSP as has been outlined in previous discussion threads.

Despite how clean it looked when unboxed, the TSP solution was grey after I stripped it all down for a good scrub and soak.

Followed that with a passivation soak in a strong Star San solution.

I've had it in service for about 18 months now, say 15 brews, and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Grainer said:
Think Clever brewing is getting them in

DJ_L3ThAL said:

I have it on good authority from that smartarsed prick..erm.... "Clever Brewing Bloke" that the 14Gal. ones are still being produced & Clever Brewing is expecting 6 of them to be delivered in one massive shipment (anyone need 27 Brewmaster buckets??), but it's likely to be a few months away if you're willing to wait.

Shoot them a support email about it & you'll go on a "priority-contact-list" for when they're in stock. ;)

forshoa said:
Yep....used the TSP as has been outlined in previous discussion threads.

Despite how clean it looked when unboxed, the TSP solution was grey after I stripped it all down for a good scrub and soak.

Followed that with a passivation soak in a strong Star San solution.

I've had it in service for about 18 months now, say 15 brews, and it hasn't skipped a beat.
can I ask where you got the tsp from?

I'm looking into buying one of the beauties at the moment, I've been brewing in plastic for years and thought it was about time to treat myself to some shiny kit, just a couple of Q's as I'm looking at the 17G/64L I'll be spending $1000+ so 1st question is it worth it/ are they that good? Also if you were to remove the yeast cake before cold crashing would there be any reason you couldn't transfer to the keg etc from the bottom tap as to avoid loss or would you have to make a longer racking tube?
Last one, how many of you that have them use co2 to transfer from it and were the parts for that easy to aquire?
Cheers
Leigh

Hi
I have the Chronical7. Paid around $500 odd some time back and then probably another 400 upgrading valves to butterfly and the T piece on top sample valve glass yiew port on top and glass sight tube on the bottom. Oh and then there was the fridge and brewpi for more.

Well over a grand all up.

Is there better, probably but at the time it made a good 50th birthday present to myself.

It is just soo very much better than the plastic fermenters. I love the conical bottom and the sanitary fittings. But the ball taps are rubbish as like all ball valves they have voids so would need stripping every time and are still an infection risk.

I also bought the sanitary version of the racking arm.

On the positive it is a breeze to clean just a wipe and is clean. A real pleasure to use with no infection or tainting from previous brews.

I will never go back to plastic.

Was thinking of getting a second or a bigger one but reduced my drinking a bit so at this time will stick with what I have.

I do use CO2 to transfer to keg but also gravity as these are not pressure vessels and any more than 1 or 2 psi will warp the lid and leak. I have never over pressured mine and it is still good seal.

I use a blow off in a jug of starsan but am still planning improvements with low pressure purge type regulator and some other things like a camera down the top sight tube and other plumbing changes. I am building up my sanitary fitting collection. Many bits out of China and some out of the USA.

James
Zwitter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back