Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarmerBeer said:
I've recently gotten a 52 lt Chronical.

Has anybody found a place that sells the following:
- 1" NPT to Barb fitting
- 3/4" - 1" ID Silicone Hose

I'm looking to put these onto the output of my dump valve, but don't want to constrict flow by using the smaller 1" to 1/2" reducer I have.
Craftbrewer have most of the stuff you will need!

I just saw this on FB. A belgian quad bent the lid. Maybe there is something to be said for extra head space

1490079539764.jpg

nosco said:
I just saw this on FB. A belgian quad bent the lid. Maybe there is something to be said for extra head space [emoji16]
Holy ****! Wow I would not have tipped that to happen. Thought the tap seals would be first.

1 in a million id say. Its reasonably thick ss.
Im not sure how the blow off tube didnt go though. I should have read the whole post.

The tube looks to have liquid in it at the lids base in that image? Could be wrong. The side of the fridge may have been damaged already but it *looks* like it exploded. Gnarly outcome all the same.

It would take a bit to bend those lids, maybe they froze the brew and there was no else where for the expansion to go.

It seems either the blow off got blocked or using an airlock to fit the blow off tube made the hole to small. Peolpe suggesyed 1/2" silicone hose, which fits perfectly or a 90° adapter. I might try the silicone hose next brew. Sounds like an easy cleanup.

Hi Brewnicorn

As said before I have chronical 7 but the taps are similar. The ball valves should be stripped and cleaned after every brew!

I went the chronical because of the sanitary fittings and never used the ball valves, upgraded to butterflys.

I use a brewpi to control the fridge for ferment and it was surprisingly cheap. The chronical came with a thermowell and i just fitted the temp probe into that and it works a treat. Fridge is easier than the FTS and can also be a kegerator or a fridge!

I use blow off tube and have had lots of yeasty mess come out and never bent the lid.

I just reduced the size of my brews to increse headspace.
I would actually like a smaller one.

Zwitter
James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Silicon tube directly into the hole in the lid, works a treat.

I find it hard to believe the cause of the lid bending like that would be because of the hole size being reduced.

It would take some real force. Maybe the tube got blocked.

Whatever the cause, that is a very impressive **** up. :lol:

What size tubing do I need to transfer beer out of the tap?

(I attempted to use my usual transfer tubing (which is set up to fit plastic taps) and it was obviously too big and oxygen was getting sucked in despite a clamp keeping the tubing attached to the tap).

8 x 5 mm nylon hose from bunnings is a nice snug fit.

You are talking about the Brew Bucket?

I can confirm the pumps wouldn't fit in the reservoir, but there is another option I think. The is 4 separate immersion coils that are in addition to the glycol circuit. You use this to recirculate via four external pumps through the FV immersion coils and return to a common external reservoir and then switch the pumps as needed. Maybe an external esky with four pumps in it?

Posting from my tablet so sorry if it isn't clear what I mean.

I dont suppose you know if it's possible to either a) remove the product lines to make room for the pumps, or alternatively b) unscrew the service panel the pump/impeller is attached to, stick the pumps down the hole and route the power cables back up the outside of the product coils? It looks from photos that the latter should be possible, but it'd be nice to have confirmation...

My thinking was I'd add some hose-barbs to the service lid, same way as SS appear to do it for their own unit (so, a length of hose running to each pump outlet from one set, and some short hose from the others for return)

They just sent out an email announcing they're doing half-barrel and 14gallon versions of the unitank from later this year, exact same specs as the 1BBL unitank. Timing is epic, since she who must be obeyed just approved the purchase of a half-barrel BME and a glycol system of some description ~ january next year :D. Fair sure I can upgrade that to the unitank

They just sent out an email announcing they're doing half-barrel and 14gallon versions of the unitank from later this year, exact same specs as the 1BBL unitank. Timing is epic, since she who must be obeyed just approved the purchase of a half-barrel BME and a glycol system of some description ~ january next year :D. Fair sure I can upgrade that to the unitank
Thanks for the heads-up. If some dreams/stars align in the next year I'd be pretty keen on a 1/2BBL unitank.

Does she have a sister?

Re: 6 gal Brewbucket. I have some trouble with the racking arm.

When I rotate the racking arm counter-clockwise, the thread loosens off the nut inside and detaches the outlet barb from the arm inside. If I really screw that nut down tight, I warp the o-ring so much that it doesn't seal and the BB leaks wort.

Any ideas on how to solve?

I had this problem originally. It helps if you put some food grade lube around the o-rings. Tighten by hand when it's empty then it should spin freely without grabbing on the stainless wall.

I have a SS Unitank. The sampling tap got quite tight the other day, so during preparation for next brew, I dissembled it (never done before), then cleaned it.
There's was a lot of gunk in there. (> 10 brews)

After pressure testing using soapy water technique, I found that the tap was leaking using.
Did some web research and found that because there are no o-rings in the tap, you need to lube the tap, I used food grade silicone lube.
Doesn't leak anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back