Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zwitter said:
The outside of mine looked a bit dodgy to but the thing performs soo very well I do clean the outside but the looks are not important.
Just get the neoprene jacket and forget about it. Simples! :D

Brewnicorn said:
I love the look of these Chronical numbers. The reasons for them is pretty obvious but I'm tempted by the Mangrove Jacks as an entry-level stainless start.
I overlooked the Mangrove Jack's item, based on the availability of the larger olive oil drums. (There was a BB at the time. Thanks, Yob).

gezzanet said:
Looking for a glass door fridge. Got a picture for some ideas. Cheers
If there was meant to be a question mark after the ''ídeas'', I can help out with a catalogue of pics/sizes, if desired... or you find one yourself online. I searched for Quirk's fridges, as that's the brand of mine, fwiw.

Black Devil Dog said:
Probably not. I remember there was quite a bit of dirty liquid coming off mine when I did my Brewbuckets a couple of years ago. I passivated them 2-3 times just to be sure.
Gee, I hope you cleaned the vessel with Tricleanium/ sugar soap and disassembled the valves and cleansed them thoroughly too. I thought it was specified in the directions (Before Use). There was a bit of muck in my brew bucket and ball valve, as well as my (other branded) SS conical and valves.

Les the Weizguy said:
Gee, I hope you cleaned the vessel with Tricleanium/ sugar soap and disassembled the valves and cleansed them thoroughly too. I thought it was specified in the directions (Before Use). There was a bit of muck in my brew bucket and ball valve, as well as my (other branded) SS conical and valves.
Ahh yes, I remembered cleaning and passivating the bejeezus out of them, I forgot about the sugar soap though.

Les the Weizguy said:
I overlooked the Mangrove Jack's item, based on the availability of the larger olive oil drums. (There was a BB at the time. Thanks, Yob).
Yeah good call. I like the stainless taps on these units too. The conical styles also make good sense, but the price difference is pretty significant for the home brewer.

If there was meant to be a question mark after the ''ídeas'', I can help out with a catalogue of pics/sizes, if desired... or you find one yourself online. I searched for Quirk's fridges, as that's the brand of mine, fwiw.

Yep thanks I'll have a search

Brewnicorn said:
I'm tempted by the Mangrove Jacks as an entry-level stainless start.
I have one. No complaints.

I'm thinking about getting another. Mainly due to price, and the fact I'm restricted by what my fridge will fit inside it.

I'm strongly considering a Chronical, and shot an email off today to confirm the dimensions (might be a go/no go with my fridge for the 17 gal - 44.8cm fridge gap and 45.7cm spec diameter, which just might include the extra diameter from the legs.)

But, if I do this, it would mean I most likely wouldnt crash chill in the fermenter, as my fermenting fridge is pretty big and I crash in another one, which it wouldnt fit in to.

I contemplate that I will ferment and decant yeast etc, then transfer to keg (or maybe secondary, but not too keen on the extra contamination risk) and crash in that.

Any thoughts? I reckon I could get a fair bit of yeast drop out in the kegs, though not really sure how much that might be or what effect it might have on the beer. Probably a fair bit and not much......

I could do another step to transfer from keg to keg, but really that would just be too much stuffing around.... probably...

Validation of my thinking or otherwise?

Hi Mr B

I do add hops during the boil and used to just chuck them in but had issues blocking things up. So now I use a small hop bag and put them in that. I use the same kind of bag in kegs to dry hop after ferment as well.

I run a filter in my rig as I also have a plate heat exchanger and dont want to block it or fill with crud. I had major issues to start with as the pressure would just bend the top plate and extrude grain out the top and into the pump. I tried several things and eventually took the fine 1mm screen out of the top and just left a plate with 3 or 4mm holes. But the biggest trick and the solution was to use rice hulls (gulls) about 250g in a batch of 6Kg of grain. I do a lot of brews with wheat that gums up more than barley.

I have the filter in line with the heat exchanger and I run the brew through it at the end of the boil and back into the pot until temp comes down. I use water from our rain water tank to cool it and back into the tank. The last few brews have been a pleasure and getting shorter time wise as well. First brew in the rig took about 13 hours as I fixed lots of issues along the way. Still fermented and drank the beer though.

The filter is an all stainless thing with sanitary fittings both ends and a big sanitary fitting to split it to clean. It has a stainless steel mesh inside as well. It used to just jam up but these days it stays together the whole way and gets cleaned at the end.

I also have a set of scales in my rig so I can zero at the start and monitor the fluid volume from start to finish realtime.

The whole rig is mounted in an old 19" rack so bolting bits on is easy.

I need a mistress, I am sure that would be cheaper and take up less time!!!! Maybe should just give the rig a name?

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sugar Soaps ain't Sugar Soaps.
Brands such as Selleys took the Trisodium Phosphate out of it years ago to avoid algal blooms in the waterways, whatever. If you want the good stuff, Bunnings sell Tricleanium. I guess the very limited use of it in the real world isn't too harmful as opposed to the old school sugar soap from supermarkets that got splashed around with gay abandon.

Also no need to fill with Starsan solution, just a good spray a few times. The SS only "knows" about the layer of Starsan it's in contact with.
Might repassivate today actually, thanks for reminders. Comp season on the way. woot.

Mr B said:
I'm strongly considering a Chronical, and shot an email off today to confirm the dimensions (might be a go/no go with my fridge for the 17 gal - 44.8cm fridge gap and 45.7cm spec diameter, which just might include the extra diameter from the legs.)

But, if I do this, it would mean I most likely wouldnt crash chill in the fermenter, as my fermenting fridge is pretty big and I crash in another one, which it wouldnt fit in to.

I contemplate that I will ferment and decant yeast etc, then transfer to keg (or maybe secondary, but not too keen on the extra contamination risk) and crash in that.

Any thoughts? I reckon I could get a fair bit of yeast drop out in the kegs, though not really sure how much that might be or what effect it might have on the beer. Probably a fair bit and not much......

I could do another step to transfer from keg to keg, but really that would just be too much stuffing around.... probably...

Validation of my thinking or otherwise?
Your problem isn't really to do with the Chronical as such. Drawing off the yeast then cold conditioning in the SS would be the best. However your problem (as I had for many years) is basically lack of fridge space.
Eventually I bit the bullet and shelled out for an extra fridge.
Would a Chronical 7 fit into a Keg King Kegmate?
That would be my pick, the series 4 can be dialled to any temp you want. $500 will soon "amortise" itself over a few months of brewing compared to Dans.

Loving my Brew Bucket with FTSS and my two brew bucket minis. I have drilled an extra hole in my kegerator for the FTSS hoses and have a corny keg as my chill water source. Have run two brews through it so far during the current heat wave in NSW and it held Ale temps fine for both brews. Unfortunately this setup means I can't cold crash or lager (at least in summer), but I can live with that for the short term. My old fermentation fridge is now 100% devoted to sours, funky brews and mead.

Longer term I do want to do lagers and cold crash with more than one bucket at a time possibly at different stages of fermentation. So I was wondering what people thought of using the Keg King Icemaster G40 to house the FTSS pumps as a devoted glycol chiller? My thinking is it is designed for rapid chilling so should better handle the job compared to a keg of water in a fridge. The other option is waiting for the ssbrewtech glycol chiller but I imagine it won't compete on price, but may be a far superior product for the task?

Thoughts.

Edit - Just to clarify before people jump on about just using a ferm fridge. Ultimately I want 4 buckets to and ferment one to two weeks apart so each is at a different stage of fermentation, that will likely require 4 fridges and all the space that will take up, not to mention the plugs required. Or one glycol chiller and 4 buckets stacked 2x2 each with FTSS in a much smaller space. Also bling factor.

Thanks all ;)

zwitter said:
Hi Mr B

I do add hops during the boil and used to just chuck them in but had issues blocking things up. So now I use a small hop bag and put them in that. I use the same kind of bag in kegs to dry hop after ferment as well.

I run a filter in my rig as I also have a plate heat exchanger and dont want to block it or fill with crud. I had major issues to start with as the pressure would just bend the top plate and extrude grain out the top and into the pump. I tried several things and eventually took the fine 1mm screen out of the top and just left a plate with 3 or 4mm holes. But the biggest trick and the solution was to use rice hulls (gulls) about 250g in a batch of 6Kg of grain. I do a lot of brews with wheat that gums up more than barley.

I have the filter in line with the heat exchanger and I run the brew through it at the end of the boil and back into the pot until temp comes down. I use water from our rain water tank to cool it and back into the tank. The last few brews have been a pleasure and getting shorter time wise as well. First brew in the rig took about 13 hours as I fixed lots of issues along the way. Still fermented and drank the beer though.

The filter is an all stainless thing with sanitary fittings both ends and a big sanitary fitting to split it to clean. It has a stainless steel mesh inside as well. It used to just jam up but these days it stays together the whole way and gets cleaned at the end.

I also have a set of scales in my rig so I can zero at the start and monitor the fluid volume from start to finish realtime.

The whole rig is mounted in an old 19" rack so bolting bits on is easy.

I need a mistress, I am sure that would be cheaper and take up less time!!!! Maybe should just give the rig a name?

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Oooh thats a thought, I generally no chill and cube hop. Will have to see how that goes and maybe deal with it.

Bribie G said:
Your problem isn't really to do with the Chronical as such. Drawing off the yeast then cold conditioning in the SS would be the best. However your problem (as I had for many years) is basically lack of fridge space.
Eventually I bit the bullet and shelled out for an extra fridge.
Would a Chronical 7 fit into a Keg King Kegmate?
That would be my pick, the series 4 can be dialled to any temp you want. $500 will soon "amortise" itself over a few months of brewing compared to Dans.
Yeah, I already have a big double door fermenting fridge and a crashing/hops storing fridge/freezer. Too many is never enough. Perhaps a rethink is in order.

I have changed to approx 45l batches, so perhaps the 14 G would do the job, but means I couldnt do the odd triple. And a leeetle bit more gets a lot more space. Gotta think bigger Bribie, the 17 is where its at!

paulyman said:
Loving my Brew Bucket with FTSS and my two brew bucket minis. I have drilled an extra hole in my kegerator for the FTSS hoses and have a corny keg as my chill water source. Have run two brews through it so far during the current heat wave in NSW and it held Ale temps fine for both brews. Unfortunately this setup means I can't cold crash or lager (at least in summer), but I can live with that for the short term. My old fermentation fridge is now 100% devoted to sours, funky brews and mead.

Longer term I do want to do lagers and cold crash with more than one bucket at a time possibly at different stages of fermentation. So I was wondering what people thought of using the Keg King Icemaster G40 to house the FTSS pumps as a devoted glycol chiller? My thinking is it is designed for rapid chilling so should better handle the job compared to a keg of water in a fridge. The other option is waiting for the ssbrewtech glycol chiller but I imagine it won't compete on price, but may be a far superior product for the task?

Thoughts.

Edit - Just to clarify before people jump on about just using a ferm fridge. Ultimately I want 4 buckets to and ferment one to two weeks apart so each is at a different stage of fermentation, that will likely require 4 fridges and all the space that will take up, not to mention the plugs required. Or one glycol chiller and 4 buckets stacked 2x2 each with FTSS in a much smaller space. Also bling factor.
Perhaps a fridge gives you more flexibility? I assume the glycol doesnt heat in winter? You will be tied to one temp for all buckets as well. I like a dedicated fermenting fridge, then put diff fermentors in other one to crash. Space dependent of course.... Cant knock the bling though.

Mr B said:
Thanks all ;)

Perhaps a fridge gives you more flexibility? I assume the glycol doesnt heat in winter?.
The FTSS controls a pump which runs glycol through coils in the fermenter when the temp rises too high then shuts it off once it gets to temp. Since each FTSS is independent each fermenter can be set at a different temperature and theoretically be maintained there all from the same chill source. You can update the controller to also control a heat pad around the cone of the bucket.

So theoretically if the chill source was up to the task (and apparently the ssbrewtech chiller is), you could have one fermenter at Ale temp, one at lager temp, one rising to diaceytl rest then dropping to cold crash and even one long term lagering all from the same small footprint chill source! Also since the buckets stack this could all be housed in the same volume as one fridge!

Since posting it has been brought to my attention on the ssbrewtech users group on FB that maybe the pumps won't fit in the kegking unit, hadn't even thought about that one. I guess I have some homework to do.

paulyman said:
The FTSS controls a pump which runs glycol through coils in the fermenter when the temp rises too high then shuts it off once it gets to temp. Since each FTSS is independent each fermenter can be set at a different temperature and theoretically be maintained there all from the same chill source. You can update the controller to also control a heat pad around the cone of the bucket.

So theoretically if the chill source was up to the task (and apparently the ssbrewtech chiller is), you could have one fermenter at Ale temp, one at lager temp, one rising to diaceytl rest then dropping to cold crash and even one long term lagering all from the same small footprint chill source! Also since the buckets stack this could all be housed in the same volume as one fridge!

Since posting it has been brought to my attention on the ssbrewtech users group on FB that maybe the pumps won't fit in the kegking unit, hadn't even thought about that one. I guess I have some homework to do.

Egad!

Bugger the fridge then!

paulyman said:
I can confirm the pumps wouldn't fit in the reservoir, but there is another option I think. The is 4 separate immersion coils that are in addition to the glycol circuit. You use this to recirculate via four external pumps through the FV immersion coils and return to a common external reservoir and then switch the pumps as needed. Maybe an external esky with four pumps in it?

Posting from my tablet so sorry if it isn't clear what I mean.

You do see ex commercial chillers pop up every now and then that are much bigger, I have my doubts the KK one setup as stated above would hold 4 buckets to even ale temps in the current weather(36°c+) over days. I'm sure many are using the backyard shed as their brew house and like me it ain't air conditioned or lined. As for fridges well they're made to meet the conditions we see here and offer their own layer of insulation.

5c

Just did my very first yeast dump out of my new shiny, lots of firsts lately, looking forward to tasting the end result!

Lethaldog said:
Just did my very first yeast dump out of my new shiny, lots of firsts lately, looking forward to tasting the end result!
when did you do the yeast dump? I just dumped a baby poo prior to cold crash. Slow to come out but then when the yeast plug was done i had to quickly turn it off. Was going to do another after cold crash to see how it goes.

Best time to yeast dump is just prior to FG in my experience. YMMV.

Back