Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always brew double batches too and that's why the bigger Brewbucket appeals to me, but it would be a pretty tight fit in my fermenting fridge and the weight of it when full is my other issue.

Lethaldog said:
Just about to buy the SS 17G conical, getting pretty excited!
Who's got them? Are they as good as they look? Pros, cons?
Ive been considering this too. New Era Brewing have them for $900 at the moment.

I've just ordered one through them, Gary was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with, just have to pay the funds today when they clear and my new shiny kit will be on its way [emoji41]

I have Chronical 7 and love it
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love the look of these Chronical numbers. The reasons for them is pretty obvious but I'm tempted by the Mangrove Jacks as an entry-level stainless start.

Hot tip- ALDI dolleys currently on sale $15, the round type are PERFECT size for the 7 gal...

My glass door fridge that houses my 20Gal stout conical is on wheels, I just wheel the the whole thing over, fill, wheel it back, plug it in. Put better casters on the ferment fridge.

ED: punctuation

malt junkie said:
My glass door fridge that houses my 20Gal stout conical is on wheels, I just wheel the the whole thing over, fill, wheel it back, plug it in. Put better casters on the ferment fridge.

ED: punctuation
Looking for a glass door fridge. Got a picture for some ideas. Cheers

Just got finished cleaning and passivating my new chronical for the first time and noticed on the outside of it that it looks a bit streaky almost like that slicky look you get when there is oil on the road and it gets wet if that makes sense, is it anything to worry about?

Probably not. I remember there was quite a bit of dirty liquid coming off mine when I did my Brewbuckets a couple of years ago. I passivated them 2-3 times just to be sure.

Starsan, I did exactly by the book but on the outside I just sprayed it on and left it to dry and now the outside has that oil slick look but the insides fine as far as I can tell, maybe I should have just left the outside but I didn't think it would be a problem!

The streakiness will clean off and doing the outside is good. I'd just do it again and if you want to be extra certain, do it a 3rd time.

Better to spend a bit more time cleaning it than dump a batch of beer by rushing.

Just re cleaned and it's a bit better but still there, hopefully it will be all good

Make sure you pull apart and clean the ball valves. I did mine and they had lots of soluble oil in them from manufacturing

Yep I did all that, my only concern is the streaky discoloration of the outside, almost looks like the starsan has reacted with it[emoji35] I'll keep cleaning but I may just have to live with it now!

Those ball valves!

Every time you turn them you let the liquid into the "dead zones" and they then grow nasties in them. I chose to replace with a butterfly valve on the bottom and a sample tap on the side. The ball valves are ok to use but clean and lube after every batch!

I clean everything every time any way.

The outside of mine looked a bit dodgy to but the thing performs soo very well I do clean the outside but the looks are not important.

James
Zwitter

zwitter said:
Those ball valves!

Every time you turn them you let the liquid into the "dead zones" and they then grow nasties in them. I chose to replace with a butterfly valve on the bottom and a sample tap on the side. The ball valves are ok to use but clean and lube after every batch!

I clean everything every time any way.

The outside of mine looked a bit dodgy to but the thing performs soo very well I do clean the outside but the looks are not important.

James
Zwitter

yeah I always planned on upgrading to the butterfly valves but they were not in the budget just yet so soon hopefully!

How do you go dry hopping? Do you use a bag or something or just chuck em in to swim free?

Latest posts

Back