Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gezzanet said:
when did you do the yeast dump? I just dumped a baby poo prior to cold crash. Slow to come out but then when the yeast plug was done i had to quickly turn it off. Was going to do another after cold crash to see how it goes.
i have always racked my beers just prior to fg as booker said which used to be obviously transferring from one plastic fermenter to another in my case so I just did the same with the yeast dump after about 5 days! Now I've dry hopped and will probably begin dropping temp tomorrow then dump again just before kegging as I just dropped hop pellets straight in( not sure if that was the greatest idea but I'll see how it goes)

Yep might have left it a little late. In my old fermenters I used to collect the lot post cold crash and sometimes wash it. I'll collect more post cc and compare the before and after.

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a Ss Brewtech Chronical fermenter. Just wanted to get some feedback from you all. My questions are below.

Should I get the 7 or 14 Fermenter - Brewmaster Edition? My brewery is a 20L Braumeister.

Also, I'm looking at purchasing the Ss Brewtech heating and cooling control. How does everyone who owns one control their temperature?
I was thinking of filling a keg of water, and running through the rear outlet of my Kegerator.

Any feedback from you all will be appreciated.

Cheers

Nugg3t

Hi Nugg3t

I bought the Chronical 7. Sometimes thought of getting a 14 but I doubt I could lift the 14 when full. Recently I have thought I would like a 3.5 but they dont do those.

I use a brewpi and an old drinks fridge. The fridge has a glass door and cost about $250 with all the bits for the brewpi and heater etc. I have just bought one of the bluetooth specific gravity things and will combine with the brewpi software so all ends up on same graph which I can see from anywhere on the web. One advantage of fridge is you can put anything in it. With the CTSS it is fixed to the chronical.

I would suggest upgrading the taps on the chronical to butterfly type and go sanitary fittings everywhere.

I love the ease of use of the chronical, cleaning etc it is so much better than plastic.
One of the best things I have ever bought for home brew.

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought the 17 gallon but just the standard version not the brewmaster, I've got a fridge that it fits in and I just put it in empty and fill it in there, I've done one batch in it so far and it was great, so easy but as above I'll be upgrading to the butterfly valves shortly so I can use the sight glass to collect/remove trub and yeast etc

zwitter said:
Hi Nugg3t

I bought the Chronical 7. Sometimes thought of getting a 14 but I doubt I could lift the 14 when full. Recently I have thought I would like a 3.5 but they dont do those.
Hi Zwitter,

Is the Chronicle 7 heavy when full?

Hi Nugg3t

Well the actual Chronical7 is only a couple of kilos but the liquid weighs the same regardless of what it is in. So if I have 26 litres in it it is close to 30kg and a bit awkward but the handles hold up ok. I have temp probes etc hanging off it too.

But twice that would require filling in place or a hoist.

James
Zwitter

zwitter said:
Hi Nugg3t

Well the actual Chronical7 is only a couple of kilos but the liquid weighs the same regardless of what it is in. So if I have 26 litres in it it is close to 30kg and a bit awkward but the handles hold up ok. I have temp probes etc hanging off it too.

But twice that would require filling in place or a hoist.

James
Zwitter

I don't know that I'd lift from the handles, I usually (only had it a few brews so far) get the missus to help lift it via the legs. Only having three legs means it is awkward to do this on my own.

Hi brewers. I'm pretty well sold on getting the SS Brewtech Brewbucket or Brewmaster Bucket in 26L as my entry stainless vessel. I've looked at the olive oil drums and so on, but as a hobby brewer developing some skills the 'by design' system looks like the one for me. I've been reading through the threads with interest. Different strokes for diff folks, but Can I please ask you all; what are:
1. Options to include,
2. Things to avoid doing?
3. The Drawbacks
4. Best place to get a bargain (pricing seems pretty universal everywhere).

Many thanks all
Sam

Brewnicorn said:
Hi brewers. I'm pretty well sold on getting the SS Brewtech Brewbucket or Brewmaster Bucket in 26L as my entry stainless vessel. I've looked at the olive oil drums and so on, but as a hobby brewer developing some skills the 'by design' system looks like the one for me. I've been reading through the threads with interest. Different strokes for diff folks, but Can I please ask you all; what are:
1. Options to include,
2. Things to avoid doing?
3. The Drawbacks
4. Best place to get a bargain (pricing seems pretty universal everywhere).

Many thanks all
Sam
I use Brewbuckets, the Brewmaster, I think is the same, just that it comes with a temp probe.

1. I assume you've got a temperature controller and fermentation fridge, if not, you definitely need to.
You'll need a blow off tube and a large container to catch the krausen, I use a 3 litre milk bottle.

2. Even though it comes with a rotatable racking arm, I'd avoid using it as such, the seals don't seem to cope very well and you could get leakages.

3. Size, 26 litres is a bit on the small side, I believe they have a 35 litre one coming out, but for me the diameter of the big one was an issue.

4. You might save a few bucks on freight if you can pick up from the retailer, but other than that, price is pretty much the same everywhere.
Newera Brewing might be able to do it slightly cheaper.

Hi Brewnicorn

The SS Brewtech fermenters are a good bit of kit. I agree with Black Devil Dog, good temp control is the key. I recently got the 14 chronicle with FTS, but I'm still trying to think how I can pump cool liquid through to cool.

Black Devil Dog said:
I use Brewbuckets, the Brewmaster, I think is the same, just that it comes with a temp probe.
Thanks for the response Black Devil Dog - sorry for diving into the discussion thread. The other threads seemed a bit disused. Sorry to hijack.

Yeah that's the one. I have the temp control sorted to a greater or lesser degree and that's formed part of my thinking here for the new set up. I'm really hoping to ramp things up a bit.

The tips are great. I'd looked at NewEra and Grain and Grape and a handful of others. Local should t be an issue here in Melbourne. Just didn't want to get blindsided in store and have to sell a kidney to pay for it all.

Very grateful thank you.

Nugg3t said:
Hi Brewnicorn

The SS Brewtech fermenters are a good bit of kit. I agree with Black Devil Dog, good temp control is the key. I recently got the 14 chronicle with FTS, but I'm still trying to think how I can pump cool liquid through to cool.
Thanks Nugg3t.

Temp control I'm just going to grab an old fridge off gumtree and an stc- failing that shell out for the keg master fridge from keg king if the brew buckets fit. I'm yet to check that, but the bigger fridge could still be a favoured option. [emoji52]

I've only brewed 2 batches with my brew bucket but I'm very happy with it so far. I just have the 27 lt one. More accurate volume markings on the inside would be nice but no big deal. The brewmaster version didn't seem worth the price for a thermo well and a thermometer that I wouldn't use.

Having said that the only pain I have with it is trying to tape a temp probe to stainless fermenter covered in condensation is a real pain. Once the temp equalises it's ok though. So as Tidal Pete said at the start of the thread I'm looking at putting a well through the lid. I have a bit of beer dip tube I can use.

For the price you pay for it I think the valve is pretty shit but I've taken it apart as much as you can (removing the ball) and then boiled it for 10 minutes so it shouldn't be a problem.

Re using the yeast is the same as any regular plastic fermenter but the cone shape really work wonders for compacting the yeast cake and clearing the beer especially after chilling for a few days.

So if you are going to get a cheap fridge off the net then get a decent size one. You can't chill @ 0 deg for a few days with a bar fridge. A good size fridge gives many options. I'd go a good fridge before a brew bucket. If you have the room.

Edit: condensation wouldn't be a problem if you only brew ales.

Thanks nosco. I reckon the thermowell will be less of an issue in a decent fridge with the stc attached, but I know as I get pickier that kind of thing becomes important.
An elastic jockey strap might do the job to hold your thermometer in place - you might have to electrical tape a flat spot in to hold it but just a thought? I've been using a cube of polystyrene foam with a little well in it that sits flat on the side of the (plastic) fermenter and exposes a thermo probe just to the fermenter wall and nothing outside. Good pick up on the thermometer though. Not sure that justifies the $50-60 price hike jump.
Still... the plastic fermenters are starting to smell like an old bar runner, especially with some hot water and perc in them...

Black Devil Dog said:
3. Size, 26 litres is a bit on the small side, I believe they have a 35 litre one coming out, but for me the diameter of the big one was an issue.
Can I ask a follow up. I've seen the guys on here talking about larger fermenters. And frankly I need to drink more to make that viable. Not a dilemma so much as a lack of days in the week. :)
Why do some folks go so large? Is it to keg a lot more beer, less actual brews for the return? (How long can beer even keep in a keg?) I'm doing the 21-23 partial grains and so on at the moment. AG eventually...

For me, wanting a slightly larger fermenter was to have more head space.

Some brewers like to ferment double batches, so they'd need a fermenter capable of holding that volume.

get yourself a 100mm stainless thermowell and a step drill from Bunning's ($25) and add that to your SS brewbucket like this:

WP_20170316_17_36_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20170316_17_37_25_Pro.jpg

And you may need to upgrade the orings for the thermowell, I use black 3mm ones which compress much better when assembling to the FV

I was thinking of going through the lid because the lid is replaceable. Getting the probe in a long thermowell might be tricky though. Im putting one through the side of my kegmenter so ill see how that goes.

I've recently gotten a 52 lt Chronical.

Has anybody found a place that sells the following:
- 1" NPT to Barb fitting
- 3/4" - 1" ID Silicone Hose

I'm looking to put these onto the output of my dump valve, but don't want to constrict flow by using the smaller 1" to 1/2" reducer I have.

Latest posts

Back