Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read this thread start to finish and searched around, but haven't located an answer so far... Can anyone tell me the precise dimensions of the Brew Bucket 7 with the stopper installed?

The SS brewing website says 20.6" height x 12.5" width. Note that height does NOT include stopper, bubbler, and blow off setup (~53cm x 32cm); but I can't seem to find a measurement of the stopper.

I have a small fridge under my bar that I'd like to use it in... usable space is around 38 (w) x 40 (d) x 61 (h) - will this be too tight?

meathead said:
Thanks for the replies
Unfortunately it's out of warrantee

if purchased in Australia you can refer to the Australian Consumer Guarantee to deal with warranty. I'd consider that to be a major fault which means you are entitled to a replacement, repair or refund.

Hi Meathead

I actually have a spotwelder if you are in Sydney I could have a go at reattaching the handle?
James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fdsaasdf said:
I've read this thread start to finish and searched around, but haven't located an answer so far... Can anyone tell me the precise dimensions of the Brew Bucket 7 with the stopper installed?

The SS brewing website says 20.6" height x 12.5" width. Note that height does NOT include stopper, bubbler, and blow off setup (~53cm x 32cm); but I can't seem to find a measurement of the stopper.

I have a small fridge under my bar that I'd like to use it in... usable space is around 38 (w) x 40 (d) x 61 (h) - will this be too tight?
Do you need the stopper AND airlock height? I'll measure it today, if you provide me with your requirements.

Frankly, you could easily just leave the lid off and use clingo wrap.

Can someone pls show me the link on the cheaper tri clover butterfly valves.

Les the Weizguy said:
Do you need the stopper AND airlock height? I'll measure it today, if you provide me with your requirements.

Frankly, you could easily just leave the lid off and use clingo wrap.
Stopper and airlock height would be very helpful. I do suppose you're correct that I needn't cease using the costco roll of cling wrap just because I am moving on from my plastic fermenter, but I am still keen to know!

Hi 2much2spend
I posted earlier in this thread the place I purchased butterfly valves from in the USA. Not the cheapest though but the dollar was more favorable back then. I did buy sample valve with sanitary/triclover mount from China and elbows and T fittings and they have all been good quality. I can not speak for the China butterfly valves but realistically they probably all come from the same place. I think I spent $350 USD in the US site and probably over $150 in the chinese sellers mainly through ebay.

Some of the bits I purchased I could not find in ebay.
I had a T piece I was not happy with and they sent be another one FOC so I bought more through same seller.

If you can not find whatyou are after I can look up the place I went to but cheap was not my main concern, I went for known quality and a place that would be around to back the product and sell spares.

James
Zwitter

fdsaasdf said:
Stopper and airlock height would be very helpful. I do suppose you're correct that I needn't cease using the costco roll of cling wrap just because I am moving on from my plastic fermenter, but I am still keen to know!
The stopper is the same height as the latch ~ 527 mm, and to the top of the airlock ~ 615 mm.
Pic 1 - stopper and short 3-piece airlock
one.jpg
Pic 2 - entire vessel
two.jpg
Pic 3 - 50 litre Aginox stainless olive oil drum (similar total height for comparison ~ 530 mm)
three.jpg

Those with the sanitary sample valves, any nifty ideas to make the silicone transfer hose fit leak tight on the barb? I've got hose clamps but almost end up snapping the plastic butterfly part tightening up so much given the valve barb is much smaller than the 1/2" silicone hose. I'd like to keep the silicone hose so I can sterilise it better than PVC or other materials. Unsure if there are suppliers of smaller ID silicone hose at brewing shop prices?

Hi DJ_L3thal

Really? I have a sanitary sample valve and 1/2" silicone is a good tight fit no clamps? Admittedly I would not have any great pressure as it is used to do a gravity feed to kegs with about 2-3 psi co2 pressure in the fermenter just to keep the O2 away.

I can photo and measure my valve and hose tonight if that helps.

Silicone hose comes in lots of sizes and thicknesses.
James
Zwitter

Where'd you get your valve? I've got two now from different eBay sellers, I'll measure the valve barb but at a guess it's 6mm so 1/4" not 1/2"?

Yo Deej. Craftbrewer used to sell 10mm ID silicone hose. Assume they still do. Have a few metres in the shed. Works a treat on the brew bucket, the auto-sparge and even the Perlicks as a bottle filler. One of the handiest additions to the brewery.
Anything smaller and you might want to try an aquarium supplier. That's where I got my O2 airstone hose from.

Alright, the beer I've been making today will be my second batch I'm fermenting through my Chronical. First beer I just fermented it as I normally do with a plastic fermenter. Obviously not taking advantage of the ability to dump trub, so my question is about dumping trub. When should I do it? And then just literally open up the bottom valve and let it pour out until I see beer? I assume it's as simple as that!

Hi welly2

Just wondering if you have loaded up a Chronical and then opened the bottom valve?

Ok on mine I have butterfly valves ant it empties in just a handful of seconds!

But what you say is correct just open and flow until clear!

I would suggest a clean container incase you need to put some back in the top.

James
Zwitter

zwitter said:
Hi welly2

Just wondering if you have loaded up a Chronical and then opened the bottom valve?

Ok on mine I have butterfly valves ant it empties in just a handful of seconds!

But what you say is correct just open and flow until clear!

I would suggest a clean container incase you need to put some back in the top.

James
Zwitter

Yeah, butterfly valves will be the next upgrade. Where did you get yours from?

Also found this short article with some useful info: http://byo.com/mead/item/524-cylindroconical-fermenters-advanced-brewing

Hi Welly2

I purchased my butterfly valves same place
https://www.brewershardware.com/TC15VBFVPT.html
They work really well easy enough to strip down and can buy replacement parts.
When they first arrived one of the nuts was missing but an easy bit to replace.
I bought 2 but then actually not used the second as i also got the sample valve.

Am planning to use two and a glass tube sight glass thing to sample the yeast out the bottom ?

Most of the time I just leave the yeast in the bottom but I do not do much racking to anything other than a keg.

The idea of conical is to reduce the surface are of the yeast cake?

I love the conical, it just never stuffs up. Just does what it is meant to do. But I have swapped the valves and added a few extra bits on the top.
James
Zwitter

Latest posts

Back