Ss Brewtech "Chronical" 7 Gallon Conical Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok asking over here due to it being a dedicated Chronical thread. Anyone know what pressure these will be able to hold? I know it states 5psi for transfer but what about fermenting?

Same, 5psi. Doesn't matter if you're transferring or fermenting, 5psi is the rated pressure for the vessel.

Now, there is a chance that the fermenter is able to hold more pressure but I would not recommend to try this.

So what's the go for actually using one of these things?

I've got a nice American Amber fermenting away in mine, after a couple of years of glad wrapping it's nice to hear the blow off bloop blooping away!e ferment is good to

So, when do I need to drop the yeast? From what I've been reading, about 4 days into the ferment is a good start, and then every couple of days there after.

How does one deal with dry hopping? 5-7- whatever days then drop?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

FB

So I dropped the trub tonight... came out quite easily through the 1.5" butterfly valve I have fitted along with a 1" hose barb. Yeast still seemed quite active 4 days in, although I'm sure I could see a definate point where the cleaan dropped yeast came out after the cold break and assorted crap that got in from the boil. was about 0.75l from a total of 21 odd litres into the fermenter.Sound about right?

Fat ******* said:
So what's the go for actually using one of these things?

I've got a nice American Amber fermenting away in mine, after a couple of years of glad wrapping it's nice to hear the blow off bloop blooping away!e ferment is good to

So, when do I need to drop the yeast? From what I've been reading, about 4 days into the ferment is a good start, and then every couple of days there after.

How does one deal with dry hopping? 5-7- whatever days then drop?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

FB
Being that it's hard to see what's happening without lifting the lid, you could go with gravity or pH readings, to know where your ferment is at, if you want to be technical.

Listening to the "bloop bloop" or knowing how that particular yeast generally rolls, if you don't want to be technical.

those amounts sound about right, Fat *******. since I no chilled in the fermenter I dumped the trub before pitching yeast and got about 2 large waterglasses full. after a week or so I dumped yeast and got the same amount. continued dropping yeast during crash chilling.

since I now have the sight glass attached before the butterfly valve it should be even easier to see what's there to dump and when to close the valve.

i think pics are in the other thread, will get onto one of the mods and see if we can merge/split the threads, one brewbucket and one chronical.

Yeah, new toy arrived today!

IMG_20160531_211058.jpg

Looks smart as a carrot. I'm very pleased. And more pleased that it fits in my new fermenting fridge, so that's a bonus.

Question I have is about pressure transfer from fermenter to key. Does anyone have a video or instructions on how to do this?

Cheers!

welly2 said:
Yeah, new toy arrived today!

attachicon.gif
IMG_20160531_211058.jpg

Looks smart as a carrot. I'm very pleased. And more pleased that it fits in my new fermenting fridge, so that's a bonus.

Question I have is about pressure transfer from fermenter to key. Does anyone have a video or instructions on how to do this?

Cheers!
I don't pressure transfer, however I do gravity transfer.

I have changed the valves on my fermentor to butterfly valves with triclover fittings to enable me to put one of these on it for the transfer.

http://www.newerabrewing.com.au/ss-brewtech-pressurized-transfer-conection/

That goes on the valve on the front of the fermentor and I've put a length of hose and a liquid disconnect on it. The beer goes straight from fermentor to keg, down the liquid post. You will notice the fitting linked above has a pressure release poppet type thing on it. That is held down by a small spring and I've found the pressure from the beer isn't enough to open it (let beer leak on the floor). If you were applying co2 pressure through the top of the fermentor, I'm not sure this fitting would be the best choice. You may be able to work around it by taping down that pressure release poppet thingo though. It is not the most ideal fitting for the job, but all that I could find and it works fine for my purpose. All that is required is the fermentor to be above the top of your keg and it will drain in with no exposure to oxygen (if you purge the keg and line prior).

Smart. I like that idea and might well have to pick up one of those myself. Cheers!

So I've got my first Chronical fermented beer on the go. Question. Actually two questions.

Firstly, how long into the fermentation process do I want to dump the trub? I understand a few days is good?

Secondly, I don't have a lot of headroom in my fermentation fridge and was planning on putting a sheet of wood under the fermenter so the legs are a bit more stable. This would probably mean that the airlock isn't going to fit. Is there another option rather than using the airlock or can you get low profile airlocks or could I just cling film/saran wrap the top of the fermenter as I do with my plastic fermenter?

Cheers!

I've just kegged my first beer from my 14gal conical. I only dumpped trub on day 2 and only had about 1L before it cleared up. I ended up pulling another 3L of trub/yeast (prob 2L of trub) when I kegged it. I suspect a lot of trub came from the 2 week cold crash. Would be interested to know how often others dump the trub as well. I'm thinking of buying a sight glass to run under the bottom butterfly to see when it needs emptying (like the Williams Warn setup).

Homicidal Teddybear said:
Just throw a barbed elbow on there and run a blow off tube
Oh there's an idea. Blow off tube into a jar of starsan would work?

I'm keenly eyeing off the 64L Chronical. My question is, is it too big for single and double batches? I mostly brew singles, the odd double and maybe once a year I'd fill her right up to aim for 3x kegs for a party etc.

Looking at the amount of CO2 generated by fermentation being well above the headspace volume I'd have in the 64L with a single batch I think there is no risk of residual oxygen with a healthy ferment.

So my concern is more around physical handling, size of vessel to clean etc. or are they a good size even if mostly only doing single batches? Hoping they are and the extra buffer to be able to ferment large batches is simply an added bonus? Thoughts from those who own a 64L and mostly ferment singles/doubles would be much appreciated!

What are your thoughts on the size now you have it in your possession, singles be fine and not annoying or cumbersome?

Its much smaller than I thought it would be!! I will probably put a 30L batch threw it initially.. but i am overseas for 3-4 weeks now.. also waiting for a bucket load of triclover fittings to arrive from China

I sould actually see if it would have fit in the freezer.. my guess is not.. regardless the freezer is for sale when I get back from Overseas

I do doubles in mine all the time... no singles tho, If I'm doing a single I'll usually just use a better bottle or something.

the deadspace/trub loss is a bit large for a single I reckon.

Latest posts

Back