Ss Brewtech "Chronical" 7 Gallon Conical Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I've posted my build at the other place - do a Google search for "Dry hop airlock for pressurised FV" and you'll find it. The principal is sound, but my experience was that 1.5" butterfly valves have too small an aperture for hop pellets to fall through. 2" or above sounds like it'll work, certainly my 4" version did. Otherwise perhaps a full-bore valve like a ball valve if you're stuck with 1.5".
".....and I was struggling to pay attention at work and started designing brew shit in my head instead""

Lol..Sounds familiar..

So better to use a ball valve at 1.5" then instead of butterfly valve?

I'd certainly give it a go, I think you'd be wasting your time with a 1.5" butterfly (as I did...). There's always issues with sanitisation of ball valves, especially on the cold side, but since you're only likely to be introducing tiny quantities of hop dust to the cavity it shouldn't be too significant a problem. An alternative if you can only use the 1.5" port is a concentric or bowl reducer from 2" to 1.5" and use a 2" butterfly valve and sight glass - husky said he'd used that size successfully. Haven't tried it myself though.

Latest posts

Back