Show Me Your Bottom.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone use PVC as a manifold?

Rook

Tried one in the past chasing a problem with poor eff, tried brade, copper and food grade PVC (forget the number, but it's the high pressure stuff). All worked equally as well IMO, changed to SS FB when I changed to a SS mash tun.

Yep - thats where I brought mine from

Superb Piece of Kit - just way better than braid IMHO - worth every penny.

RM

PICT0021.JPGPICT0022.JPG

errrr yea...beerbelly thats what i meant..err

Roger what sort of eff do you get with it? and how much was it? edit $60

From post #94

I've been Brewing in a Bag BIAB for a while now ...and enjoying the results immensly!
However, I'm looking to maximise my output and "double batch" ...to produce around 45L of wort.

I already have a 55L vessel, which I use for my single batch BIAB, and I'm about to purchase a 120L vessel to upgrademy system.

What I want to know is if my "grain bag" (which completely lines the 55L vessel) could be used as the false bottom of I make the 55L my mash tun?

The "bag" is made from fine nylon voille (cutain material) and allows no grain/husks/bits to escape to the wort.
I'd be batch sparging, BTW.

So ....what do you reckon? I'll probably give it a go anyway, but, I'd like the "experts" opinion.

Hey Jimmy...

did you ever get an answer on this?

i used to get 60% eff with bucket in bucket. no big deal, just use slightly more malt.
I'd hardly call 70% shithouse efficiency.
$60 buy a lot of malt.

i used to get 60% eff with bucket in bucket. no big deal, just use slightly more malt.
I'd hardly call 70% shithouse efficiency.
$60 buy a lot of malt.

when people i know are getting 80%+ (more like 83%) with the same crush and im just breaking 70% i'd call it shithouse. And yea i'd add more malt but my buckets already full with 6kgs and 18litres of water.

errrr yea...beerbelly thats what i meant..err

Roger what sort of eff do you get with it? and how much was it? edit $60

First time I used it was on an APA - got about 86% - although my volume measurement sux a bit and I never quite know what to believe in Beersmith - the 3 efficiency calc methods never agree - well above 80 anyway.

TBH I dont chase efficiency that much - the mashing part of my brewday revolves around stuck sparge avoidance - and on that front she scores 11/10 (so far... ahem)

RM

Here is mine, Just made it hope it works well.
Oh and i've since cleaned the mash tun.

Image034.jpg

Hi all,
Just did my first batch since Nov 06, been busy moving house etc. I ended up with a poor efficiency of 65%.
I reckon the way my SS FB was sitting on the bottom of my keep cool esky allowed for the sparge water to channel down the sides of the mashtun and under the FB as I don't have a snug fit.
I have fitted a peice of split food grade plastic hose around edge of the FB. Hopefully this will provide a better seal and prevent the sparge water from sneaking round the sides.

P7230097.JPG

Any one notice that an election is looming?
We have had Howard andd Rudd in town in the last week. A lot of attention for a town of only 3500 people!!

Cheers
Chris

I mentioned to my wife i was gonna show you guys a picture of my bottom, if she'd only take the time to ask before assuming the worse!!

I converted this from an a plate out of an old pad filter i have laying about, fits so snug into the bottom of my old 10 gallon keg i use as a mash tun, efficiency a good as well, we thought the holes were a little small (top and bottom) but in the time i've been using it i haven't really had a stuck sparge.....here guys, check out my bottom....

bottom.JPG

I was attempting to explain my setup to a couple of guys at the QLD case swap over the weekend... so i decided it would be easier to take a few pics and show them instead..

My tun has its tap in the bottom center..
outlet.jpg

Here is my Mash tun its hinged for easy spent grain dumping..
brewrigtipsidesmall2.jpg

i made up a manifold that also supports the false bottom.
There are three arms off the centerpoint of the manifold that have holes drilled on the underside... and the base ring also has tiny holes all the way around so it drains completly and there is no "deadspace" at all...
Manifold from the top and from underneath
manifold_top.jpgmanifold_underside.jpg

manifold with the false bottom attached.
false_bottom_and_manifold.jpg

Tun with with manifold and FB removed
mashtun_empty.jpg

Tun with Manifold only..
mashtun_manifold.jpg

Sqyre... ;)

I was attempting to explain my setup to a couple of guys at the QLD case swap over the weekend... so i decided it would be easier to take a few pics and show them instead..

My tun has its tap in the bottom center..
View attachment 14022
Here is my Mash tun its hinged for easy spent grain dumping..
View attachment 14021

i made up a manifold that also supports the false bottom.
There are three arms off the centerpoint of the manifold that have holes drilled on the underside... and the base ring also has tiny holes all the way around so it drains completly and there is no "deadspace" at all...
Manifold from the top and from underneath
View attachment 14017View attachment 14018

manifold with the false bottom attached.
View attachment 14019

Tun with with manifold and FB removed
View attachment 14020

Tun with Manifold only..
View attachment 14023
Sqyre... ;)

Now I see what you meant Bruce
Idea.gif

Well I have finally finished my new mash tun. The esky and stainless braid are no longer! That is assuming that the new one works! The mash tun consists of a stainless inner clad in pine decking with an expanding foam insulation layer. The lid is two sheets of sealed ply with a foam sandwich. A mashmaster thermometer shows the temp, and a brass gate valve regulateds the flow too and from the vessel.

Mash-tun1.gif
Mash-tun-2.gif

Inside a stainless false bottom is conected to the out let via flexible hose that should make cleaning a breeze.
Now once the fumes from the finishing oil have subsided I will give it a test run.
Fingers crossed...
Juddy

juddy that is bloody beautiful. wow what a work of art
great work mate

Thanks mate. I'm rapt with how it looks but looks aren't everything! Tomorrow i'll see how it works!
Cheers
Juddy

that looks beautifull juddy

wonder what my willow would look like with some wood on it.... :D

-Phill

Latest posts

Back