Show Me Your Bottom.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received the 12 inch fakse bottom from grain and grape and I cannot seem to get it within the keg though my opening I cut out on the top.

I don't want to cut it anymore as the lid I have just fits as it is.

What should I do? I'm probably only 1 cm around not fitting. Could I bend it then try and bend it back within the keg? Or should I maybe try and cut the false bottom?
I had exactly the same problem I cut a couple slots in the top to mail the fale bottom into the keg.

I used to be a bucket in bucket masher but I had a lot of slack space under my false bottom. I have just finished my first mash with my new braid system, not sure on the efficiency but with the new ball valve I have much better control over flow rates and I am getting less solids in the boiler.

braid.jpg
enlargebraid.jpg

Here is mine, the common stainless domed false bottom which fits very snugly in the bottom of a well insulated bucket:
FB1.JPG

FB2.JPG

I was tinkering with the idea of extending the brass elbow with some more hose to get closer to the bottom so as to draw out more wort, but found that as the plastic tubing is slightly loose where it enters the tap body, so you can in fact just tilt the bucket and remaining wort will find it's way out leaving very little (read: bugger all) behind :)

The whole tun setup came from Steve on this forum when he upgraded and I'll be forever grateful. Also included was a plastic FB which I'd planned on giving away to someone who might need it but couldn't afford a SS one...problem is I've now lost it somewhere inside this mess I live in! :huh:

PZ.

No worries.....and yes I also forgot to tell you to tip the mashtun to get the last few drops of wort out. Glad you figured it out.
Cheers
Steve

Below is a picture of my mesh screen "tube manifold". Is this long enough? Will I benefit from making it the length of the esky?

View attachment 10260
I used your manifold as inspiration to make this one. I made one up using the SS mesh from a cover used over the frying pan to catch spitting fat. My wife never used it, I better replace it anyway ;) I tested it and it worked well.

Attachments

• SS_pipe.JPG
    SS_pipe.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 71
22mm copper slotted bottom in 30L cool box
slotted%20bottom.JPG

It's been cleaned since then :)

Matt

i like the pivoting idea, my s/s false is a bugger to get the grain out from underneath.

36L Keepcold Cooler (from BCF), 10" SS Phil's false bottom (from G&G), 1/2" Nickel plated brass ball valve (from "The Irrigation Shop" Moss St, Underwood), plastic bulkhead fitting (Also from Irrigation shop), copper tube ...

http://www.michaelmowbray.net/***/20061231-2%20004.jpg

much the same as xtrabyte's, mine is from a fying pan splash screen:

P1061327.JPG

i'm going to replace the rubber washer with a silicone one, does anybody know of any ill effects from using a rubber washer in the mash tun? i haven't noticed any off flavours, just curious though....

Hughman: Careful with those frying pan splash screens. I opened my mash tun this morning to find my splash screen tube rusting, after leaving it soaking overnight. Had a spare one sitting around and made a makeshift one for the mash.

So yeah, don't leave them soaking, especially if you only paid $1.50 for them! :)

Edit: I've had no problem with rubber washers in either my kettle or mash tun.

36L Keepcold Cooler (from BCF), 10" SS Phil's false bottom (from G&G), 1/2" Nickel plated brass ball valve (from "The Irrigation Shop" Moss St, Underwood), plastic bulkhead fitting (Also from Irrigation shop), copper tube ...

http://www.michaelmowbray.net/***/20061231-2%20004.jpg

Have just bought a 36ltr Keep Cold. How happy are you with its insulation properties? Just asking because the rubbermaid "seems" to be all the rage. Interesting to see the various manifold set-ups.

Edit: I've had no problem with rubber washers in either my kettle or mash tun.

Neither have I. If I find one in there, I just pick it out with some tongs. :ph34r:

Mabye this should be a new topic? ...but, I'll throw it out here and see what happens!!

I've been Brewing in a Bag BIAB for a while now ...and enjoying the results immensly!
However, I'm looking to maximise my output and "double batch" ...to produce around 45L of wort.

I already have a 55L vessel, which I use for my single batch BIAB, and I'm about to purchase a 120L vessel to upgrademy system.

What I want to know is if my "grain bag" (which completely lines the 55L vessel) could be used as the false bottom of I make the 55L my mash tun?

The "bag" is made from fine nylon voille (cutain material) and allows no grain/husks/bits to escape to the wort.
I'd be batch sparging, BTW.

So ....what do you reckon? I'll probably give it a go anyway, but, I'd like the "experts" opinion.

Mine works a treat in my 45 litre coleman cooler. Stainless braid and copper fittings.

20060417_%20057.jpg

Hey Lucas, may be worrying about nothing, but the way the braid lies in your tun, it goes pretty close to the edges. It may be possible for the water to channel down the sides and bypass the grain. One to watch out for if your efficiency goes to the dogs.

thanks for the tip mika, I'll try it out first and see if it's a problem.

I tried trimming the end of that braid to neaten it up a bit but the stuff is tuff, much thicker than normal braid. not sure that I've got anything that would allow me to cut it to shorten it enough to keep it away from the sides

if you batch sparge, not a problem.
Channelling is a problem if you fly sparge though.

Hey Lucas, may be worrying about nothing, but the way the braid lies in your tun, it goes pretty close to the edges. It may be possible for the water to channel down the sides and bypass the grain. One to watch out for if your efficiency goes to the dogs.

Mine is the same Lucas,been using it for years without a problem.
I batch sparge and as tangent says it'll be fine

Batz

Back