Show Me Your Bottom.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again.
I thought about trying to improve on the old rubbermaid square esky and stainless braid, but couldn't go past the flase bottom.
The stainless inner used to be my HLT! So for todays brew I will use my old Mash Tun as the new HLT! And my Old HLT as the new Mash tun! :huh:
Cheers
Juddy

:)
Well I have finally finished my new mash tun. The esky and stainless braid are no longer! That is assuming that the new one works! The mash tun consists of a stainless inner clad in pine decking with an expanding foam insulation layer. The lid is two sheets of sealed ply with a foam sandwich. A mashmaster thermometer shows the temp, and a brass gate valve regulateds the flow too and from the vessel.

Mash-tun1.gif
Mash-tun-2.gif

Inside a stainless false bottom is conected to the out let via flexible hose that should make cleaning a breeze.
Now once the fumes from the finishing oil have subsided I will give it a test run.
Fingers crossed...
Juddy

Great job Juddy , Ok for you young blokes, I have a job lifting my tun for cleaning , my back you see playing second row for the Boys brigade RFC as a lad :)

Pumpy

Thanks Pumpy
You're not wrong! She's a weighty little unit. When I build the brew frame will have to put some serious thought into the cleaning and moving side of things!
Cheers
Juddy

Thanks Pumpy
You're not wrong! She's a weighty little unit. When I build the brew frame will have to put some serious thought into the cleaning and moving side of things!
Cheers
Juddy
You might think about hinging your mashtun similar what Sqyre's done here: Sqyre's Brewstand

That looks great. Looks like it could double as a sauna!

Yeah the hinge idea is a good one, but will take some clever design on a portable system. I can picture the whole thing toppling over! Now to the drawing board...
Juddy

Love that timber look...makes the old Stairway look cheap...Nice one Juddy

You might think about hinging your mashtun similar what Sqyre's done here: Sqyre's Brewstand

For legal reasons i must state that i stole the idea from Tony... :D

And it works awesome...

And to compliment the tipper heres a niffty bit of gear i got from Bunnings for $30...

Perfect for dumping the spent grain into and never spill a husk...well almost never

Heres the trolley/ bucket thingy...

Grain_Trolley.jpg

Its got wheels at the back for an easy stroll down to the compost heap...its also water tight and i've chucked hot grain / water in there and it hasn't bothered it at all..

Sqyre... ;)

EDIT: And dont even think about mentioning the K+K can on the bench in the background....we all have skeletons in our closets... :ph34r:

Top work Juddy, looks awesome mate - I just love wood clad brewing setups :super:

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross
Now that the Mash Tun and False bottom are complete, its time to move onto the filtering setup. Standby for the next order! Just got to sell it to the other half!
Juddy

Ps Off topic I know, but how do I post pictures with the click to enlarge banner like everyone else?

For legal reasons i must state that i stole the idea from Tony... :D

And it works awesome...

And to compliment the tipper heres a niffty bit of gear i got from Bunnings for $30...

Perfect for dumping the spent grain into and never spill a husk...well almost never

:p

how much grain will your bunnings bucket thing hold mate? I usually have 12 KG in the tun.

here is mine while it was being built

cheers

IMG_0834__Medium_.JPG

IMG_0836__Medium_.JPG

:p

how much grain will your bunnings bucket thing hold mate? I usually have 12 KG in the tun.

here is mine while it was being built

cheers

Tony, to the best of my knoledge that photo should be a 8 - 10kg of grain bill (before water absorbtion)

i know its never come too close to being full and i've done a heap of recipe's with 10kg plus of grain..

And i always use it to catch the water when i wash out the Tun... so it should hold your 12kg no worries..

The high back is awesome for stopping the pour out of grain from missing the bucket...

Sqyre... ;)
EDIT: from memory i think its a 40 litre tub...

EDIT EDIT: Just had a look and that 25 litre "fermenter" fits inside all the way up to the bottom of the lid. Plus i'm pretty sure i saw some even bigger versions last time i was at Bunnings..

But i reckon 12kg would be fine with the one i have..

I managed to pick up this 40?L water jacketed urn at the scrap yard for $15. It is powered by 2x 1500w elements. I usually heat my mash water up in this, add the grain and switch off the power. The tun maintains pefect temp over the full couse of the mash.

mash_tun.jpgmash_tun2.jpgfalse_bottom.jpg

You lucky son of a...

Last Saturday, I set off to Bunnings to pick up what I needed to build a mash tun. I currently only do fairly large partial mashes (2-3 kg of grain), but I have plans to go all grain in the very near future. I had two eskies laying around, a 55 litre one, and a 15 litre one - the 15 litre esky is just perfect for partial mashes. I wanted to make a modular manifold + drainage system that could fit both eskies in order to minimise cost when I go to all grain. For the time being, I am just going to use the 15L esky for convenience and better temperature stability.

I haven't used it yet, but I checked flow rates, and temperature stability by doing a 'pretend mash' with crushed whole wheat and all have been really good.

Manifold is simple drilled copper tubing, still have plenty left for the 55L manifold.

000_1392.jpg

000_1391.jpg

000_1388.jpg

Love the gate valve. But I love mashing in the car even more!!! :beerbang:

Inge,

Point the holes downwards for the best results :) hopefuly they won't clog, if they do, try sawing slots.

Cheers Ross

Inge,

Point the holes downwards for the best results :) hopefuly they won't clog, if they do, try sawing slots.

Cheers Ross

Ross,

Holes were only facing up for the photoshoot :p Didn't have any trouble with clogging with the pretend mash, but will keep it in mind.

Thanks dude!

New falsie. No manifold underneath, just a piece of silicone hose underneath it to somewhere near the centre of the tun

False_bottom.jpg

Back