RecipeDB - Schneider Weisse-style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
Not sure if this beer needs a decoction to emphasize maltiness. Maybe make one with decoction and another soon without it.

I get enough malt character from the yeast and malt/caramunich. Very close to a Schneider original. if you've ever had one.

Tettnanger will add it's own flavours to the beer, and I have not made this beer with Tett. I have made other weizen recipes with Tett or Spalt or Saaz. All turned out well, as hops is a minor player in the flavours in this style.

How long until the comp?
Thanks mate. Comp is in about 4 weeks. Might go without the decoction this time as Im doing 2 beers today and havent done a decoction before so might wait for a single brew day.

Droopy Brew said:
Thanks mate. Comp is in about 4 weeks. Might go without the decoction this time as Im doing 2 beers today and havent done a decoction before so might wait for a single brew day.
Good idea, best to tackle a decoction on a day of it's own.

After 30 hours in the fermenter I have krausen overflow. 21L in 30L fermenter and the krausen is pissing out. I should have listened when people suggested a blow off tube for 3068. I deliberately underpitched with just the single smack pack which was 2 months old too. Beastie yeasties. Smells fantastic but.

Cleaned up the wheat beer category. Speaking to the judges it was a stand out iWeizzen. Thanks for the recipe Les- Ill definitely be doing this one again.

Latest posts

Back