RecipeDB - Schneider Weisse-style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score

Schneider Weisse-style

Wheat - Weizen/Weissbier
All Grain
* * * * * 12 Votes

Brewer's Notes

As copied from Protz and Wheelers' 'Brew Classic European beers at home'. Great beer, very similar to Schneider Weisse.
Won best Wheat beer at Bitter & Twisted Festival 2007, even though still undercarb'd, with 40 points each from two BJCP-skilled judges.

50°C mash-in, but only for 20 min.
60 minute rest at 63°C.
120 min boil. Bittering hops only added for 30 min. 83% Apparent attenuation -> 5.2% alc/vol

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.77 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
1.07 kg Weyermann Vienna
1.06 kg IMC Pilsner
0.36 kg Weyermann Caramunich I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 30mins)
10 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

2000 ml Wyeast Labs 3638 - Bavarian Wheat

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
26L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 13.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 66%
  • Alcohol 4.67%
  • Colour 14 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 4 days
  • Secondary 4 days
  • Conditioning 3 days

has anyone done this one?

I made it a few weeks ago, and tasted last night. Tastes awful! I dont think its infected, however it does have a slight 'band aid' taste that people compare to infected beers.

Only difference to the recipe is that I used sachet yeast, not the liquid one suggested.

Fermented at 19c, secondary for a week, and has been in the keg for about a week. Anyone have any ideas as to why it tastes crappy?

Yes - Les the WeizGuy. I'm sure his doesn't taste awful.

I made it a few weeks ago, and tasted last night. Tastes awful! I dont think its infected, however it does have a slight 'band aid' taste that people compare to infected beers. Only difference to the recipe is that I used sachet yeast, not the liquid one suggested. Fermented at 19c, secondary for a week, and has been in the keg for about a week. Anyone have any ideas as to why it tastes crappy?

If it has a band aid taste, its infected. Difficult now its kegged, but can you get someone who knows his beer to taste to get a second opinion ?

I currently have this recipe on tap, it's been in the keg for about 3 weeks and it tastes great. My friends rate it also.

I made it a few weeks ago, and tasted last night. Tastes awful! I dont think its infected, however it does have a slight 'band aid' taste that people compare to infected beers.

Only difference to the recipe is that I used sachet yeast, not the liquid one suggested.

Fermented at 19c, secondary for a week, and has been in the keg for about a week. Anyone have any ideas as to why it tastes crappy?
G'day,

My opinion of the beer is absolutely superb. I've had the best feedback of any beer I've made, if that means anything.
It has the right blend of phenolics and esters. It beats the cr@p out of banana-flavoured weizens (of which I was a long-time fan), and it tastes very complex, in a European way.

May I ask which dry yeast you used? It is possible that the slight band-aid flavour is yeast-derived and not a specifically off flavour. It can be a fine line in these beers, but you should always trust your tastebuds.

pm me if you post here, in case I miss your post.

Beerz
Les

FWIW, according to their website, Schneider uses roasted malt to get that darker colour.

Hi Les, what fermentation temp would you recommend?

Tried out this recipe, and it turned out absolutely fantastic! By far the best wheat I've produced!

Perfect balance and body. It's definately on my regular list :) Thanks Les!

The only deviation I made was to use WLP300 (hefeweizen), which has a much more estery profile. I have always struggled with the phenolic type wheat yeasts overpowering the beer.

Fermented at 18C ramping to 21C for 9 days, then kegged and pouring two days later (couldn't wait to taste it based on the great aroma from the fermentor!)

Cheers,
Matt

Tried out this recipe, and it turned out absolutely fantastic! By far the best wheat I've produced!

Perfect balance and body. It's definately on my regular list :) Thanks Les!

The only deviation I made was to use WLP300 (hefeweizen), which has a much more estery profile. I have always struggled with the phenolic type wheat yeasts overpowering the beer.

Fermented at 18C ramping to 21C for 9 days, then kegged and pouring two days later (couldn't wait to taste it based on the great aroma from the fermentor!)

Cheers,
Matt
Cheers to you, Matt, for giving the recipe a run.

I brewed mine at about 16- 17 C. Glad to hear that it works with the WLP300 as well. Apologies for missing the previous post.

Phenolics should not be overpowering or dominant in any beer, even a wheat.

my fermentation fridge smells so god damm nice at the moment, I want to crawl inside :) Will bottle this weekend and give it a crack in a couple of weeks

Hey Les, thanks for the recipe. This one's in primary now with 3068. That yeast is crazy, it goes off with a big bang down to about 1.020, then cruises along for the finish.

This is my first wheat beer, it's tasting fantastic already. The whole brew-day went perfectly too, all the right temps and volumes (including the brief protein rest).

Cheers

Hey Les, thanks for the recipe. This one's in primary now with 3068. That yeast is crazy, it goes off with a big bang down to about 1.020, then cruises along for the finish.

This is my first wheat beer, it's tasting fantastic already. The whole brew-day went perfectly too, all the right temps and volumes (including the brief protein rest).

Cheers
Triple decoction?

Remember to not substitute any hop in the recipe. I recently subbed an addition of NB as the bittering hop. Nein! Nein!

...and it got caned at the NSW comp. B)

keep the feedback comin'. This can be a very respectable beer.

Remember to not substitute any hop in the recipe. I recently subbed an addition of NB as the bittering hop. Nein! Nein!

...and it got caned at the NSW comp

Blast..that is prob what went wrong with my version of a legend beer, I subbed with chinook, all the way, but thats what I had, did not have any wheat malt either so a bought a couple of kilos of wheat extract and added it to the mash..forgot the rice hulls I might normally use and wow what a mistake, worst stuck mash ever..I was so frustrated that I forgot to pitch the yeast, is just pouring it ok??

K
note to self..rice hulls

I noticed the notes with this recipe say />50C mash-in, but only for 20 min.<br />60 minute rest at 63C. Now I have only ever done a single step infusion for my mashes and I go in at 3L/kg

I was thinking I could do a two step infusion the first 1 at 2L/kg for a mash of 50C and then after 20 min add an additional 1L/kg to bring the mash to 63. Is this a valid method. I can't see any issues myself except for the fact my first step will be a much thicker mash than I normally do.

Secondly how essential is the 120 boil in this recipe/style, I can see myself wanting to save some time and go 60-90min

By the way will be using wyeast 3056
Cheers.

Well I put this down on the weekend. Went with my double infusion mash, though i did have a bit of trouble hitting my temp for the second step. Not sure if I made a bad calculation of measurement here, but if all things were correct I was 7degree out after my second infusion. Anyway i managed to sort that out. It was a long day ran out of gas with 20min to go, but got around that with a portable bbq (no the cylinder does not fit my high pressure reg,)

I made a few other mistakes along the way but anyway lets just wait and see now.

Using wyeast 3056 which has blowin through the airlock, with my fermeter at 23l full I would have expected enough head space. Fingers crossed for no infections.

Note to anyone thinking of making this recipe to a lower OG: It doesn't taste right. I tried this about a month ago and all I can say is that it needs the extra sweetness IMHO. Practically no hops in it already, so dropping the IBUs wouldn't help much.

Hi all,
Les, do you know anyone who's tried to do this one via BIAB? I'm giving my first all grain a go with it and was too impatient to wait till I had a lauter tun. :icon_drunk:
Anyways - advice would be greatly appreciated...

Well, I tried brewing this via BIAB and I can say that the results are good (this was my first ever all grain brew).

Good, not great - because I have no idea about Mash PH yet (still learning!!) and I think that the relatively neutral Sydney water has given it a very mellow flavour. That said though I'm gathering my kit to do a full mash in an 47L esky setup!

I gotta say that it tastes a lot to me like a "redback original" is this the correct flavour profile?? The only mistake I made was to add a bit too much top-up water in the end, so thus the flavours are probably thinned out a little (though not too much).

Thanks Les for sharing - If youre ever in East Sydney mate, pop in to see me for a few brews as payment, hopefully I'll have my home bar setup by then.

All in all I think this one will go down as a regular!! :icon_cheers:

My lhbs doesnt have hallertau, but they do have hallertau pacific or hallertau hersbruker. Would either of these do? Or should I try get something like tettnang or mt hood? I also have some chez saaz in the freezer at the moment.

Latest posts

Back