RecipeDB - Schneider Weisse-style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just like to say i brewed this about 4 months ago, so good will have to brew again. Thinking a double batch one on a bed of rasberries after primary fermentation.

THis beer is in the Keg ATM and all i can say is :icon_drool2: , I used 3333 instead which gives a very subtle profile to this beer but i will be doing it with the 3638, just needed to build up some 3333 for a weizenbock. Definately give it a crack I love a good Hef in summer, Thanks Lez :beer:

I am currently drinking this one.

I have to say, it's good. But not great. I brewed it with 3068, I hit my numbers bang on target and mashed as per Les's schedule...but it tastes a little bland. Almost like drinking Soda water. Great on a hot day, but compared to other weizens ive made in the past it's not my best. Im not sure if it's my failure at step mashing, the yeast or is it supposed to be fairly subtle like that?

Im in Sydney and added 10g Calcium suphate + 8g 5.2 stabilizer.

I have a sneaking feeling there might be a tiny bit of smoked malt in the real thing after the bottle I had last night...

so how much with a no-starter ???

200ml ???

regards
i have brewed this with a single smack-pack pitched directly to the fermentor, with great results.

The flavour should not be bland or soda-like. It should be complex malt, caramel, dark toastiness with tropical fruits blended in. Outstanding!

This is a beer that really works in my brewery.

Warner ( German Wheat Beer - Classic Beer style Series book) advises that wheat beer does not need water adjustment unless your water has extreme hardness (Calcium).

Les mashing now for this 1 mate, stepping up for sacc now,been a while since I did this beer the Herms is it a easy peasy brew.Come home early because of floods cant run out of beer.

sava

Brewed this when the temperature was supposed to be a cooler, around xmas/new year.
Well I got that wrong.

Had fermenter wrapped up with ice blocks but temp got a bit higher than I expected. Bubbled away at a mental rate for a couple of days then calmed right down.

Result is still good.
Really really smokey taste with great texture.
Mates tried it last week and decided it would be perfect for a winters night eating spicy sausages with no need for cigars :D

Will try it again in the winter and see what difference that makes.
Still drinking, can't be that much left.

Brewing this one soon, but with (White Labs #WLP351) and Pilsner (Weyermann)...

Looking forward to it,,,thx

Hopefully brewing this today, if it dosnt rain. I'm using (White Labs #WLP300) now cos LHBS didnt have 351. I also read about throwing rice hulls in there as well, but I dont have any...Hopefully be ok, its only a 5.5kg grain bill...

Well I'm brewin this beer. I'm just killin time while it mashes for an hour. In the meantime, I'm drinkin some Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen, nice... And I'm listnin to Joe Satriani... awesome

Here's what I come up with,,,forgot take an OG,,, doh

Schneider Weisse-style,

I brewed this on 7.11.11...

I changed the grain bill...a little, lol

WeizenWeizen/Weissbier<h3 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1px;"> </h3>
Type: All Grain

Date: 30/10/2011Batch Size: 23.00 L

Brewer: ShaneBoil Size: 26.33 LAsst Brewer: JoBoil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00Taste Notes:
Ingredients

AmountItemType% or IBU3.00 kgWheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)Grain54.55 %1.00 kgPilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)Grain18.18 %1.00 kgVienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)Grain18.18 %0.50 kgCaramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM)Grain9.09 %30.00 gmHallertauer [4.80 %] (30 min)Hops11.1 IBU15.00 gmHallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min)Hops3.6 IBU0.50 itemsWhirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)Misc1 PkgsHefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300)Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG

Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.014 SGMeasured Final Gravity: 1.005 SGEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.51 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %Bitterness: 14.7 IBUCalories: 90 cal/lEst Color: 8.7 SRMColor: Color
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch SpargeTotal Grain Weight: 5.50 kgSparge Water: 18.49 LGrain Temperature: 22.2 CSparge Temperature: 75.6 CTunTemperature: 22.2 CAdjust Temp for Equipment: FALSEMash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch SpargeStep TimeNameDescriptionStep Temp60 minMash InAdd 14.34 L of water at 74.4 C67.8 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2)Volumes of CO2: 2.4Pressure/Weight: 149.5 KPACarbonation Used: -Keg/Bottling Temperature: 15.6 CAge for: 28.0 daysStorage Temperature: 11.1 C

Hi,

Well i finally got the chance to try this beer. I put a whole kilo of Caramunich 1 in and a added 5gm's extra of the hops, so 30gm's @ 30 mins and 15gm's @ 15 mins, just too even out my 90gm pack of hops, now i have 45gm's left for my next brew.

It tastes ok. Ive made a few allgrains now and this one has been my best.
You can see how dark it is from all that Cara and i think i threw in a whole kilo of vienna as well, lol.

Heres a pic

006.JPG

Going to brew this for a comp. Thinking a double decoction will be the go to emphasis the malt . I assume the original only calls for a double step?

Plan on using Tettnanger in place of Hallerau and 3036 for the yeast.

Not sure if this beer needs a decoction to emphasize maltiness. Maybe make one with decoction and another soon without it.

I get enough malt character from the yeast and malt/caramunich. Very close to a Schneider original. if you've ever had one.

Tettnanger will add it's own flavours to the beer, and I have not made this beer with Tett. I have made other weizen recipes with Tett or Spalt or Saaz. All turned out well, as hops is a minor player in the flavours in this style.

How long until the comp?

captaincleanoff said:
has anyone done this one?

I made it a few weeks ago, and tasted last night. Tastes awful! I dont think its infected, however it does have a slight 'band aid' taste that people compare to infected beers.

Only difference to the recipe is that I used sachet yeast, not the liquid one suggested.

Fermented at 19c, secondary for a week, and has been in the keg for about a week. Anyone have any ideas as to why it tastes crappy?
Do you de-chlorinate your wasser? You probably should... for e.g. 0.5-1g of ascorbic acid. It will be particularly obvious in a style like this (or a light lager) where it may have been previously more subtle with pale ales, stouts, etc.

This beer is on my things to do. Very interested to try it.

Might make mum a nice Schneider Wiesse for mothers day... And some nice flowers... POR.... Mmm, nice.. But might go with the carnations instead.

Latest posts

Back