RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1469 Smacked and bursting at the seams - Dr Smurtos recipe to the letter.

1630 kick off - cant wait.

:beerbang:

RM

I week has passed - that 1469 still has a monster head on it - dropping 1 point a day for the last 2 days - now at 1.011 - so crash chill she goes.

I have upped the temp to 21 Deg C over the last 3 days as well - the SG samples taste absolutely awesome.

Hopefully Filter and Keg tomorrow - Picture and review to follow but all looks superb so far.

Question for Dr Smurto - have you every keg hopped this one? edit - DUH - I just read the previous post. Thats what I was thinking - a Styrian Plug.

Cheers

RM

I week has passed - that 1469 still has a monster head on it - dropping 1 point a day for the last 2 days - now at 1.011 - so crash chill she goes.

I have upped the temp to 21 Deg C over the last 3 days as well - the SG samples taste absolutely awesome.

Hopefully Filter and Keg tomorrow - Picture and review to follow but all looks superb so far.

Question for Dr Smurto - have you every keg hopped this one? edit - DUH - I just read the previous post. Thats what I was thinking - a Styrian Plug.

Cheers

RM

I know, I know - not a bitter glass - probably overcarbonated - but importantly a really flavoursome ale.

I used 70gms of Chocolate (tare malfunction on my scales) hence it is a smidge darker than others I have seen - but the lovely vanilla spice aroma and the earthy vege characters from the EKG are there.

A very chuggable beer. Definitely a recipe to keep.

Cheers Smurto.

RM

PICT0277.jpg
PICT0278.jpg

I know, I know - not a bitter glass - probably overcarbonated - but importantly a really flavoursome ale.

I used 70gms of Chocolate (tare malfunction on my scales) hence it is a smidge darker than others I have seen - but the lovely vanilla spice aroma and the earthy vege characters from the EKG are there.

A very chuggable beer. Definitely a recipe to keep.

Cheers Smurto.

RM

View attachment 26821
View attachment 26822

Looks good RM but stop teasing me. Have mine fermenting at the moment, down to 1.018

Cheers
Rob

Looks good RM but stop teasing me. Have mine fermenting at the moment, down to 1.018

Cheers
Rob

This yeast is good stuff - make sure you harvest some .

I dont see this keg lasting long.

:beer:

RM

Damn it Roger, barely gone 9am and i want a beer!

Looks very nice despite the glass :p

I like this beer so much - it has settled down in the keg nicely - drinking superbly - I am going to do another this weekend.

With a bit of luck the Low Low Level Trip wont have sounded on the first keg so I can do a comparison.

There will be a couple of changes - This one will use TFMO - only 50gms of Chocolate and I am going to try 1187 this time.

And I will buy a proper glass before I taste it - maybe a PhAT.

Beers

RM

I've got an 1187 in the fridge waiting to go but I'll be attempting Ringwood's forty niner this time, then save yeast and go the TTL next time.

Doing my spin on this next week, but thinking of using golden promise over marris otter. Anyone used GP in this recipe before? I've got both on hand, so I can use MO if it is hands-down better.

Doing my spin on this next week, but thinking of using golden promise over marris otter. Anyone used GP in this recipe before? I've got both on hand, so I can use MO if it is hands-down better.

Timothy Taylor use 100% Golden Promise in Landlord, so should be fine mate!

When I finally get around to the TTL I'll be using Golden Promise, it's a low nitrogen barley from the Scottish Lowlands, would suggest the TF Floor malted variety, they are just down the road from Timothy Taylor and no doubt that's the one the brewery uses.

I've got a 100% TF GP bitter I'm drinking at the moment. with Fuggles, EKG & Styrian goldings.

This has been discussed many times about TTL, but I did one last year with Bairds GP and boiled down 10L of the 1st runnings into a syrup as an experiment because the Bairds GP was so insipid and lacking in colour and flavour, I then added it back and boiled as normal. It made a very nice beer with WY 1318 London ale 2, but was still very pale and lacking the malt flavour of a TTL.

This current batch with TF and West York ale yeast was done exactly the same way and the overall colour and malt flavour is much improved, but still nowhere near TTL.

As many have said before TTL maybe 100% GP but there's something else their not giving away.

Cheers,
BB

Dennis Wheeler in his real ale book suggests 4250g of base malt, but doc's Munich would take up any slack there. He also goes for a 90 min mash and 90 min boil, don't know if that would make a heck of a lot of difference although that's what I'll be doing with my version as I go 90 / 90 for everything nowadays.

As many have said before TTL maybe 100% GP but there's something else their not giving away.

BB I've always had a hunch that being a larger than normal brewery they probably have their GP kilned to a darker spec.

Warren -

BB I've always had a hunch that being a larger than normal brewery they probably have their GP kilned to a darker spec.

Warren -

Could well be, Marstons Pedigree is supposedly 100% Maris Otter but a home brewer can't replicate anything like it without putting in some darker malts.

Warren -

Many brewery's have their malt kilned to their exact specs by the maltsters, so I'd agree with Warren that this is probably the case here.
Next trip to the UK I'll make a point of seeing if I can find out.

cheers Ross

Warren -

Yeah Warren I suspect so, particularly the amount of malt flavour from what is in the end only a 4.1% alc beer.

The only other possibility could be "Brewers caramel" which Graham wheeler implies in "BYO British Ale at Home" some British breweries use, though He suggests mainly for colour rather than any flavour contribution.

I'm going to try doing exactly the same method as what I've done previously except with some munich as Dr Smurto has done, probably Munich II for extra malt and colour and see what happens.

Cheers,
BB

Could well be, Marstons Pedigree is supposedly 100% Maris Otter but a home brewer can't replicate anything like it without putting in some darker malts.

Bribie Pedigree also has a percentage of sugar. I'm only guessing but this is where the brewers in question probably fudge the facts a bit. I'm guessing it's not plain old white sugar. Maybe some brewer's caramel or coloured invert as well?

Ross let's hope they're forthcoming with the info. They always seem to be a rather secretive lot.

Warren -

Some darker beers like my beloved Camerons Strongarm are definitely coloured with caramel, according to a couple of UK forums I drop in on.

Looking forward to some more info Ross.

FWIW, am just finishing off the last of the TF FM MO batch with a touch of choc and ringwood. I think its one of murphys law that as the keg is about to blow, the beer peaks..... <_<

Next batch will be caraaroma instead of choc (cheers Ross!) and back to 1469.

BB - keen to sample your TTL. Swap ya!

Back