RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all the ingredients in my stash except for Munich 1. I have Munich 2, would that be much of a problem? Also I am out of 1469 and intend to use s-04.

Bribie, the munich only represents around 12% of the grain bill, I haven't used munich ll myself as I bought a 25Kg bag of munich l as it features in many recipes so I guess the small quantity won't make that much difference. However the major difference will come with subbing the yeast. 1469 is a unusual and special yeast wild and unpredictable, and I farmed mine for future brews.

Cheers

Thought I post a pic of my attempt. followed the good Doctors instructions to the letter.

TTL_Clone_002__640x480_.JPG

very nice beer indeed.

I have all the ingredients in my stash except for Munich 1. I have Munich 2, would that be much of a problem? Also I am out of 1469 and intend to use s-04.

A tad late on this one Bribie, my apologies.

Munich II would be fine and to be honest, i am keen to see how that variation turns out.

Subbing S-04 for 1469?

I think Butters is on his way up to give you a talking to. :lol:

1469 is a must. I've tried 1098, 1187 and 1275 and all are inferior to 1469.

Bwaaahh, I'll need to leave that to Muckey. :p

Interestingly, though, I did a version of this the other week that was a corker. It was a bit of a throw together to get rid of some old grain.
1% carafa s1
1% caraaroma
1.5% JW trad ale, roasted to 120C (roughly to the colour of Munich 2)
the remainder was golden promise.
OG 1038, mash 69, FG 1012. Reduced the 60min to give 0.65 BUGU. 1469@20C. Beautiful.

A tad late on this one Bribie, my apologies.

Munich II would be fine and to be honest, i am keen to see how that variation turns out.

Subbing S-04 for 1469?

yup I've done a Cameron's Strongarm Bitter instead from Graham Wheeler's book with the s-04. What's the go with Muckey, he's supposed to be coming up this way? He's being a bit coy, might PM him and see what his itinerary is so we can ply him with strong liquors.

:p Hi Dr Smurto I have brewed your recipe to the letter and fiddled with it a bit, with odds and sods, got to tell you it definetly is a favourite house beer
Cheers Phil :super:

:p Hi Dr Smurto I have brewed your recipe to the letter and fiddled with it a bit, with odds and sods, got to tell you it definetly is a favourite house beer
Cheers Phil :super:

Nice work Phil :beer:

I have my ringwood version on tap now and whilst not as good as the recipe in the DB its still an easy drinking pint. :chug:

i've got something similar to this with a touch of carared and my lordie does it taste fricken special.

i just made up a big starter to do a 65L batch of this. Couldnt get 1469 so I used WLP002 english ale yeast. Hope it still comes out alright!

Seems to have a comparable attenuation (to 1469) so i reckon you are good to go. Used the Wyeast alternative (or at least the alternative as listed here - Link) and was happy with the results.

how important is it to use the exact brands of grain in recipes?

I have always used JW grains in pretty much everything, and never have given much of a thought to it.

Have I been making a mistake using only JW?

how important is it to use the exact brands of grain in recipes?

I have always used JW grains in pretty much everything, and never have given much of a thought to it.

Have I been making a mistake using only JW?

Couldnt tell you as i have never used JW trad in this recipe and have never used JW Munich in anything.

I have found in other english beers that had JW ale as the base but bulked up with Munich turned out well. But that was Weyermann Munich and i dont know how big a difference there is between the weyerman and JW Munichs.

I wouldnt say its a mistake, a lot of ppl use JW or BB malts as the base in their beers.

For my 2c, JW is a good base for a lot of things, but as DrS mentioned, it really needs bulking out in some things. I often use JW : WeyMunich in a 2:1.

Dr Smurto

Last night at BABBs we had a huge TTL night with a large brew split 25 ways (not necessarily to your recipe) brewed at a microbrewery and each of 25 members did their cube with a different yeast and brought a keg or bottles in for sampling. The differences were amazing. For example DO NOT USE NOTTINGHAM :lol:

I couldn't attend the brewday so missed out.

However the standout IMHO was the yeast "Ringwood". The Ringwood brewery in Hampshire bought the old yeast from the Northern Ales Hull Brewery (Yorkshire) when it closed down and it's a true flocculating Yorkie. The esters and complex flavours were incredible.

I'm going to use it in my next Yorkshire as I've run out of 1469 :( and wondering if you have used this yeast with your TTL ?

how different are Goldings, East Kent and Styrian Goldings?

Have heaps of Styrian here, but dont have any East Kent.. Can go down to the HBS to get some East Kent, but just wondering if I could use all Styrian?

1469 Smacked and bursting at the seams - Dr Smurtos recipe to the letter.

1630 kick off - cant wait.

:beerbang:

RM

Have heaps of Styrian here, but dont have any East Kent.. Can go down to the HBS to get some East Kent, but just wondering if I could use all Styrian?

There is a pretty big difference there - I wouldn't substitute them.

Dr Smurto

Last night at BABBs we had a huge TTL night with a large brew split 25 ways (not necessarily to your recipe) brewed at a microbrewery and each of 25 members did their cube with a different yeast and brought a keg or bottles in for sampling. The differences were amazing. For example DO NOT USE NOTTINGHAM :lol:

I couldn't attend the brewday so missed out.

However the standout IMHO was the yeast "Ringwood". The Ringwood brewery in Hampshire bought the old yeast from the Northern Ales Hull Brewery (Yorkshire) when it closed down and it's a true flocculating Yorkie. The esters and complex flavours were incredible.

I'm going to use it in my next Yorkshire as I've run out of 1469 :( and wondering if you have used this yeast with your TTL ?

Got 1 on tap now Bribie! I dropped the munich and used the TF FM MO. Ended up dropping a styrian plug into the keg. Tasting very nice. Using ringwood meant FG was 2 points higher from memory.

2 very different beasts. The styrian aroma is big but the EKG flavour still comes thru.

That said, a few ppl have made all styrian bitters with great results. It will just be a tad different to this beer.

Latest posts

Back