RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score

DrSmurto's Landlord

Ale - English Best (Special) Bitter
All Grain
* * * * * 55 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Mash at 65-66C for 90 min, mash out 78C. 90 min boil

Aim for an OG of 1.043, FG 1.012. ABV 4.1%

Adjust 60 min addition so total IBU is 30.

Yeast = Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.15 kg TF Dark Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
30 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 0mins)
20 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 20mins)
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.045 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 31.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.01%
  • Colour 19 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 7 days

Looks good Doc, I might try it myself.
Cheers,
Jake

What yeast did you use for this??? Definatly making this one!!

KHB

Finished editing it now. All the details are there except the yeast which is the west yorkshire VSS strain - 1469 (not in the database?)

I currently have 2 x 20L fermenting but didnt have 1469 ready so am doing a direct comparison between ringwood (1187) and thames valley (1275).

Seems to have gone down well with the SA case swappers. :chug:

Finished editing it now. All the details are there except the yeast which is the west yorkshire VSS strain - 1469 (not in the database)

Doc, I've been trying to clone TTL. I understand that it is all Golden Promise, no other grains or adjuncts, and they use caramel for colour. You list Marris Otter in the recipe, is this what you use?

So, I understand that you add choc malt for a bit of colour, but why the munich malt? Is it more important to replicate the flavour or the colour (I assume that you drink Timothy Taylor cause you like the taste, not because you like the colour, so my money is on the authentic flavour!).

I've got 1469 yeast on order and as long as I get it in the next week then a Landlord (either yours or TT's) will be my next brew.

Hazard

Doc, I've been trying to clone TTL. I understand that it is all Golden Promise, no other grains or adjuncts, and they use caramel for colour. You list Marris Otter in the recipe, is this what you use?

So, I understand that you add choc malt for a bit of colour, but why the munich malt? Is it more important to replicate the flavour or the colour (I assume that you drink Timothy Taylor cause you like the taste, not because you like the colour, so my money is on the authentic flavour!).

I've got 1469 yeast on order and as long as I get it in the next week then a Landlord (either yours or TT's) will be my next brew.

Hazard

The Munich addition is there after a few chats on the old Grumpys forum with Wessmith regarding malt selection. Without the choc addition the colour is still under so i started adding very small amount of choc. Aside from the fact this brings the colour into the right range i like the subtle flavour addition it adds as well. (i also love adding munich to just about every beer i make)

MO is what i have been using as up until recently golden promise (and in particular the floor malted version) hasnt been available here.

My 2 x 20L batch is actually also a test run for Thomas Fawcetts Floor malted MO without a munich addition.

i will one day try GP.

The recipe i put in the DB is the one i have made 3 times unchanged (so i am very happy with it) and also was my contribution to the case swap so it allows those who have tasted it to provide some unbiased feedback.

Cheers
DrSmurto

I've been doing a similar Yorkie with 5 kg of Maris Otter, fuggles (NZ 5.7 AA) EKG and styrian goldings and the 1469 yeast. I'm interested in the choc malt, as I've been using crystal. Of course the crystal gives a distinct flavour which I like, but I'll definitely give the choc a whirl in my next Yorkshire Bitter and see if it provides a more commercial taste.

The Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter is made at Castleford, West Yorkshire, although at the opposite end of the county from Keighley (pron: keeth - lee), home of Timothy Taylors, and would be an authentic choice for Tadcaster style ales - Castleford is just down the road from Taddie - but TF MO would be certainly appropriate for any Yorkshire bitters.

I've found using just Caraaroma for colour with just straight floor malted, you get the correct flavour profile for TTL - This was discovered on a recent side by side judging session. The beer I did was not a TTL clone, but the grain bill will be the basis for my next clone attempt.

cheers Ross

I've been doing a similar Yorkie with 5 kg of Maris Otter, fuggles (NZ 5.7 AA) EKG and styrian goldings and the 1469 yeast. I'm interested in the choc malt, as I've been using crystal. Of course the crystal gives a distinct flavour which I like, but I'll definitely give the choc a whirl in my next Yorkshire Bitter and see if it provides a more commercial taste.

The Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter is made at Castleford, West Yorkshire, although at the opposite end of the county from Keighley (pron: keeth - lee), home of Timothy Taylors, and would be an authentic choice for Tadcaster style ales - Castleford is just down the road from Taddie - but TF MO would be certainly appropriate for any Yorkshire bitters.

tried 2% crystal in my first TTL and found it too sweet.

TTL is a dry crisp bitter so for me the crystal stood out too much. Mashing at 65 with only the small amount of choc malt gives (to my taste) a clean crisp bitter that i can chug to my hearts content - same as what i did to pints of TTL in the ol dart. :party:

EDIT - Ross, havent used caraaroma very much but can see how that would get it to the right colour. What mash temp did you use?

Am so going to give this a go!

I think that I might do some carmalisation to the first litre or two of the first runnings to help with the colour instead of adding choc - basically because carmalisation of the first runnings is my new fad atm. But I like the simplicity of the choc.

50 grams of choc? How dark does that make it? How are the 2 you got fermenting atm? Did they turn out as planned?

Am so going to give this a go!

I think that I might do some carmalisation to the first litre or two of the first runnings to help with the colour instead of adding choc - basically because carmalisation of the first runnings is my new fad atm. But I like the simplicity of the choc.

50 grams of choc? How dark does that make it? How are the 2 you got fermenting atm? Did they turn out as planned?

EBC = 21

The 2 on the go are ccing. Will leave them at 1C till a keg runs out.

tried 2% crystal in my first TTL and found it too sweet.

TTL is a dry crisp bitter so for me the crystal stood out too much. Mashing at 65 with only the small amount of choc malt gives (to my taste) a clean crisp bitter that i can chug to my hearts content - same as what i did to pints of TTL in the ol dart. :party:

EDIT - Ross, havent used caraaroma very much but can see how that would get it to the right colour. What mash temp did you use?

I mashed at 64c. Did a best bitter at 1048 - dropped to 1010 using the TTL yeast.

Cheers Ross

G'day Dr Smurto,

What flavour impact did the 500g munich have?
The reason I ask is that I was considering a similar addition of Wey Munich II, this was after a batch of 100% Bairds GP I did last year where I boiled down 10L of 1st runnings and was surprised at the difference it made, but still fell short of flavour and colour.

Now that I have a bag of TF GP, I will repeat the original attempt just to see the the difference compared to the Bairds GP, but if it ends up the same The addition of some minich II was going to be my next step, so Just to repeat my original Question What impact did the Munich 1 have?

Cheers,
BB

G'day Dr Smurto,

What flavour impact did the 500g munich have?
The reason I ask is that I was considering a similar addition of Wey Munich II, this was after a batch of 100% Bairds GP I did last year where I boiled down 10L of 1st runnings and was surprised at the difference it made, but still fell short of flavour and colour.

Now that I have a bag of TF GP I will repeat the original attempt just to see the the difference compared to the Bairds GP, but if it ends up the same The addition of some minich II was going to be my next step so Just to repeat my original Question What impact did the Munich 1 have?

Cheers,
BB

BB - I just found that it lacked real malt oopmh that i get when drinking TTL so the munich addition was to up the malt backbone.

Ross - Mash temp of 64 with the extra crystal malt makes sense. The TTL yeast is a beast - 78% attenuaton. That would definitely have the dry crisp character of TTL.

how essential is the MO? i only had standard ale/pilsner malt at my disposal plus usual specialties - :( am sooo keen on brewing this tomorrow and try out the new kettle :p

how essential is the MO? i only had standard ale/pilsner malt at my disposal plus usual specialties - :( am sooo keen on brewing this tomorrow and try out the new kettle :p

I believe a good base malt is essential for this beer. If not, add a little Munich as the Dr has.

cheers Ross

Back