RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found using just Caraaroma for colour with just straight floor malted, you get the correct flavour profile for TTL - This was discovered on a recent side by side judging session. The beer I did was not a TTL clone, but the grain bill will be the basis for my next clone attempt.

cheers Ross

How much cararoma Roosco? what percentage of the grain bill?

Cheers

Paul

Hmmm ... I might try a variation on this according to what hops I have in the fridge in the middle of the year.
I need a beer that will conidtion for 101 days ;) and be good for drinking in January.

How much cararoma Roosco? what percentage of the grain bill?

Cheers

Paul

I used 5% but had 10% maize in the bill which would have dropped the colour a tad. I wouldn't use maize with the lower OG, so just use the cararoma to match the colour you are after. I'm guessing at 3 to 4%.

cheers Ross

Hmmm ... I might try a variation on this according to what hops I have in the fridge in the middle of the year.
I need a beer that will conidtion for 101 days ;) and be good for drinking in January.

Braufrau - This is a style best enjoyed young & fresh. 3 months conditioning won't do it any favours.

cheers ross

Braufrau - This is a style best enjoyed young & fresh. 3 months conditioning won't do it any favours.

cheers ross

Poop!

Hmmm ... well maybe I'd better see what I've got left in terms of hops in Sept. and put out a recipe suggestion request.
I'll have mostly EKG and target.

Made this on near on two weeks ago. Primary for 10 days (1.016) Racked to secodary checked gravity again after two days and it is still stuck on 1.016 at 3.6% abv. Not sure what the story is here so I will give another 24hrs and then chill. I used 1318 which is not what Smurto has used.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 50.09 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 20.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.84 kg Marris Otter (Bairds) (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.96 %
0.95 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 12.08 %
0.08 kg Bairds Chocolate Malt (Dark) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.97 %
78.49 gm Fuggles 07 Crop [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
78.49 gm Goldings, East Kent (07 crop) [4.90 %] (2Hops 15.6 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings plugs [2.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

BYB

Edit: The above results a quite accurate. Ran samples through the lab at work.

I am Chuggin on this badboy as I type!!

It is young, probably shouldn't say how young... BUT is an awesome beer!!

I did a lamens version with a S-04 reclaimed yeast cake BUT F$CK!! It is a god drop!

Smurto, you have done it again!

:icon_drunk:

Plan on doing this when the brewery is back in operation after the move. Going the other way mash at 67 for malt but adding some Lyles to help finish it low.

Screwy

ScrewTop,

DO IT!, If i could recommend a recipe this would be it ...

anyway, Carry on!

C to the O to the C to the K to the mudda farkin O!

I am half way through making a batch right now, although have modified as a partial. My adjusted recipe is for 23 L:
2.5 kg Golden Promise malt
0.5 kg munich malt
1 kg light dme
styrian goldings, fuggles (60 min), EKG (10 min)
wyeast 1469 (1.5 L starter)

Haven't bothered with chocolate malt, as I expect to get extra colour from the DME.

Dr S - I recall seeing somewhere on this forum that you ferment this yeast at 21 deg - is this correct?
For a partial like this, is there any advantage/ disadvantage to using DME over LME?

Thanks for the recipe!

Made this on near on two weeks ago. Primary for 10 days (1.016) Racked to secodary checked gravity again after two days and it is still stuck on 1.016 at 3.6% abv. Not sure what the story is here so I will give another 24hrs and then chill. I used 1318 which is not what Smurto has used.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 50.09 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 20.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.84 kg Marris Otter (Bairds) (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.96 %
0.95 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 12.08 %
0.08 kg Bairds Chocolate Malt (Dark) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.97 %
78.49 gm Fuggles 07 Crop [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
78.49 gm Goldings, East Kent (07 crop) [4.90 %] (2Hops 15.6 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings plugs [2.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

BYB

Edit: The above results a quite accurate. Ran samples through the lab at work.

Maybe the 12% munich??, just a guess really.

THis sounds like an interesting recipe. I love m bitters, but i havent used munich in bitters. I used vienna in a 3.5%er which worked well, but i've been keeping them simple for a while. hmmmm got me interested now, especially with all these great reviews!

Dr S - I recall seeing somewhere on this forum that you ferment this yeast at 21 deg - is this correct?
For a partial like this, is there any advantage/ disadvantage to using DME over LME?

Thanks for the recipe!

DrS has mentioned a few times fermenting warm with this yeast to push the esters (I do the same thing. Those stonefruit esters in 1469 are choice.)

If you do brew >20c, you need to be careful....the warmer the ferment, the faster it will go; the faster it ferments, the more heat it produces; the more heat it produces, the bigger the difference between ferment temperature and ambient; and the more heat it produces, the faster it goes, bringing it full circle in a vicious cycle that can get away from you if you're not careful. Normally you would expect a degree or 2 different between ferment temp and ambient....I've had 1469 up to 6C over ambient, because it was racing so much. So whilst fermenting at 21 or even 22C is fine for this yeast, just be careful that it doesn't race away from you. ;) (if you use a fridgemate and have the thermo on the actual fermenter itself, instead of just reading the ambient in the fridge, it will take care of itself and prevent this. I don't have such luxuries...)

DrS has mentioned a few times fermenting warm with this yeast to push the esters (I do the same thing. Those stonefruit esters in 1469 are choice.)

If you do brew >20c, you need to be careful....the warmer the ferment, the faster it will go; the faster it ferments, the more heat it produces; the more heat it produces, the bigger the difference between ferment temperature and ambient; and the more heat it produces, the faster it goes, bringing it full circle in a vicious cycle that can get away from you if you're not careful. Normally you would expect a degree or 2 different between ferment temp and ambient....I've had 1469 up to 6C over ambient, because it was racing so much. So whilst fermenting at 21 or even 22C is fine for this yeast, just be careful that it doesn't race away from you. ;) (if you use a fridgemate and have the thermo on the actual fermenter itself, instead of just reading the ambient in the fridge, it will take care of itself and prevent this. I don't have such luxuries...)

My first 1469 was brewed without temp control because it was still 22 ambient and 11 at night. It got away on me and ended up at 27 degrees :eek: It ended up quite ordinary (It was a partial as well) but it got drunk eventually.

On the temperature issue, The old Yorkshire stone square system ferments at 15 to 16 or thereabouts and I'm interested to note the 'stone fruit' flavours. I'm going to do a TTL and will use the recipe in this thread along with 1469 and might give the higher temp a whirl to see what flavours eventuate. Probably hold to 19 for the first mad rush then ease it up a bit. I can also do this perfectly using my 'doonah wrap and ice bottles method' which will free up the beer fridge for another brew :)

I am half way through making a batch right now, although have modified as a partial. My adjusted recipe is for 23 L:
2.5 kg Golden Promise malt
0.5 kg munich malt
1 kg light dme
styrian goldings, fuggles (60 min), EKG (10 min)
wyeast 1469 (1.5 L starter)

Haven't bothered with chocolate malt, as I expect to get extra colour from the DME.

Thanks for the recipe!

The choc is really only there for a colour adjustment but it does add just a little extra dimension.

Yep, i push this yeast to its limits. Up to 22 but as Butters said, keep a close eye on it. I have been using either mother nature to keep it in check (air temp was 18 but the brew was at 22) or the old dead fermenting fridge with ice to cool it down.

Dont see the LME/DME making a huge difference with this recipe as your are getting plenty of flavour from the GP and munich.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. Had several pints of BYBs version (Noel Springs) on Friday night. Very tasty drop.

OK, I pitched yesterday at about noon, and woke up this morning to strong fermentation activity. Ambient temp in Melb is 17 deg, and fermenter is at 20 deg (how accurate are those things you stick on the side, anyway?) There is a real fruity aroma coming from tbe airlock, esters from the 1469 I assume.

Melbourne is supposedly warming up to mid-twenties during the week, I have bought a temp mate and need to connect it up because I don't want this thing running away from me. WIll give another report in a few weeks.

hazard

i only have access to whitelabs yeast. What would be the closest whitelabs to the wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire?

I mashed at 64c. Did a best bitter at 1048 - dropped to 1010 using the TTL yeast.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross: Re TTL I managed 1048 down to 1010 @ 21L using 1469 18-20C over three weeks. I have kegged it after a real fiery fermentation. Tastes great but will wait a few weeks before tapping it. I mashed at 65C I have yet to take some of the slurry off after getting a couple of longnecks of what was left over and it is still burping away quite happily.

Cheers

Well my latest versions missed.

I used the TF FM MO and 1-2% choc.

1 batch used 1275 and was quite boring, the 2nd batch i kegged on the weekend used 1187 and is the better of the 2 but still not as good as the original. Will throw a plug of styrians in to help it along.

Ross - Going give caraaroma a go in the next version and go back to 1469.

Back