RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only other possibility could be "Brewers caramel" which Graham wheeler implies in "BYO British Ale at Home" some British breweries use, though He suggests mainly for colour rather than any flavour contribution.

BB There's a manufacturer of this product who advertise freely on the web by the name of DD Williamson

They have agents all over the world. Maybe their Australian distributor might be able to unearth some?

IMCD Australia Limited
Block 6, 1B Unwin Street
Rosehill, NSW
Australia
www.imcdgroup.com

Name: Mr. Ewan C. Morrison
Phone: +61 29 897 6115
Fax: +61 29 897 6199

Also wouldn't Weyermann's "Sinmar" produce similar results?

Warren -

Im also brewing this tomorow, I was thinking the same as BB. Im going to use some Munich II as well.
Be interesting how it comes out ?
Cheers

BB There's a manufacturer of this product who advertise freely on the web by the name of DD Williamson

They have agents all over the world. Maybe their Australian distributor might be able to unearth some?

IMCD Australia Limited
Block 6, 1B Unwin Street
Rosehill, NSW
Australia
www.imcdgroup.com

Name: Mr. Ewan C. Morrison
Phone: +61 29 897 6115
Fax: +61 29 897 6199

Also wouldn't Weyermann's "Sinmar" produce similar results?

Warren -

Interesting info there, again judging by what they are saying its mainly used to regulate colour, though some flavour contribution is mentioed, but you get the impression its incidental.

"Sinmar" sounds interesting as well, I've never noticed it on their website before, but for the purposes of colouring it would do the job, I guess its trying to emulate the malt component that makes TTL such a "holy grail beer" I guess if Ross could possibly "ask them these questions three, then the otherside we may see' :D

Cheers,
BB

Im also brewing this tomorow, I was thinking the same as BB. Im going to use some Munich II as well.
Be interesting how it comes out ?
Cheers

What % of Munich II would you be lloking at tazman1967 ?

BB

Warren,

The paragraph below is interesting from that link, as TT state on their site that they add Isinglass finings & priming sugars to the cask "the traditional way to give zest & condition". This could well be where the colour & caramel flavour comes from.

Specialty Brewing Syrup Specifications
Brewing syrups are carbohydrate blends, usually glucose and sucrose, lightly boiled to contribute flavour and condition to finished beer. These burnt sugars range in fermentability from 60% to 92%. The syrups demonstrate an increase in sweetness with increasing fermentability. They can be used as kettle adjuncts where some residual sugars contribute mouthfeel and flavour after fermentation. Alternatively, if brewing syrups are added to traditional unfiltered beer at packaging, as primings they can contribute condition (sparkle) to the finished product. In the case of pasteurized beer, the whole character of the brewing syrup passes into the finished beer to contribute palette fullness and some sweetness, depending on the adjunct used.

cheers Ross

Just brewed this yesterday but with some hop modifications since I didn't have those spec'd in the recipe. I brewed a double batch (~42l finished volume) and these were my hop additions:

24g magnum pellets (13.1%) 90 min
35g bramling cross pellets (8.6%) 20 min
25g bramling cross pellets (8.6%) flameout

It's smelling fantastic thus far. :beerbang:

Just brewed this yesterday but with some hop modifications since I didn't have those spec'd in the recipe. I brewed a double batch (~42l finished volume) and these were my hop additions:

24g magnum pellets (13.1%) 90 min
35g bramling cross pellets (8.6%) 20 min
25g bramling cross pellets (8.6%) flameout

It's smelling fantastic thus far. :beerbang:

Landlord cross Ruddles. How could that be anything other than a tasty beverage? :lol:

should be absolutely brillant. Love that brambling

Warren,

The paragraph below is interesting from that link, as TT state on their site that they add Isinglass finings & priming sugars to the cask "the traditional way to give zest & condition". This could well be where the colour & caramel flavour comes from.

Specialty Brewing Syrup Specifications
Brewing syrups are carbohydrate blends, usually glucose and sucrose, lightly boiled to contribute flavour and condition to finished beer. These burnt sugars range in fermentability from 60% to 92%. The syrups demonstrate an increase in sweetness with increasing fermentability. They can be used as kettle adjuncts where some residual sugars contribute mouthfeel and flavour after fermentation. Alternatively, if brewing syrups are added to traditional unfiltered beer at packaging, as primings they can contribute condition (sparkle) to the finished product. In the case of pasteurized beer, the whole character of the brewing syrup passes into the finished beer to contribute palette fullness and some sweetness, depending on the adjunct used.

cheers Ross

That's pretty interesting, how much and how dark do you think the syrup would have to be to contribute enough ebc's at priming levels to a 100%MO grainbill?

Kegged yesterday and force carbed today. Having my first sip now.....

:blink: :unsure: :wub:

Now I'm trying to figure out how to have sex with it. :icon_drool2:

Landlord cross Ruddles. How could that be anything other than a tasty beverage? :lol:
Well bugger me, that's sort of what I made last night. Partly by design, partly by accident (i.e. usual weekend lack of ingredients).

newguy, glad you're happy with yours, when you do figure out how to shag it, let us know if its a real knee- trembler or just a dud root hey! :blink: Good luck trying... :p

I took a couple of liberties with the recipe and made a 'superlandlord' as I like my beers over 5% and used 5kg of GP as base malt as well as sneaking in some Munich 1, and added 300 of sugaz into the fermenter. Kept the hops the same. However on the caramel issue, I caramelised two litres of runnings down to 300ml and it's added a nice colour and maybe a bit of toffee. I also lightly caramelise the sugaz, to about golden syrup colour and it smells nice when I pour it in. Together with the Ringwood yeast and the 21 degree ferment I'm looking forward to a complex Best Bitter :icon_drool2:

would 1026 be an ok yeast to use with this? I also have 1275 and 1098 if they would be better

1026 will be fine, a clear beer in no time. Will be slightly less complex than 1469

would 1026 be an ok yeast to use with this? I also have 1275 and 1098 if they would be better
I've done a 2/3 partial following the good doctor's recipe except with 1275 and 1/3 pale malt extract, not too bad, somewhat neutral perhaps and I expected more from this yeast. Its still a terrific ale and is going very quickly... So if you can't decide with the other two, then 1275 should produce a half- decent attempt.

Have two other AG TTLs with 1768 underway, tasting promising at this stage, but that wasn't really your question...

Kegged yesterday and force carbed today. Having my first sip now.....

:lol: I prefer laying under the taps and pouring......

I've used both 1275 and 1098 in this recipe and found both a bit boring. 1469 and 1187 have been the best to date. Havent tried 1026 but have made a few nice beers with it so it will get a run one of these days.

is the 5 gm of choc malt added in with the rest of the grains at the start of the mash???

Latest posts

Back