RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey DrSmurto,

I have been eyeing this bad boy off for a while now and am planning on brewing a double batch up with Supra-Jim as part of the Aust Biggest Brew Day.

Just wondering what if any water additions you are making with this recipe?

Planning on using 1469 - have it on the stir plate currently for a NE Brown that I brewed on Sunday, which I will then scavange yeast cake for TTL. :icon_drool2:

Cheers,

Brendo

G'day Brendo

I havent added salts when brewing Landlord as i have always made it using good old Adelaide tap water.

I am brewing it again very soon and will need to modify my rainwater. Dont have beersmith at work so when i get home i will check out what i have been using for my english ales and get back to you.

At a guess, to get you thinking while you read this section in Palmer, i would probably add CaCl2 and CaCO3....

Cheers
DrSmurto

G'day Brendo

I havent added salts when brewing Landlord as i have always made it using good old Adelaide tap water.

I am brewing it again very soon and will need to modify my rainwater. Dont have beersmith at work so when i get home i will check out what i have been using for my english ales and get back to you.

At a guess, to get you thinking while you read this section in Palmer, i would probably add CaCl2 and CaCO3....

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thanks Smurto...

Funnily enough I was reading Chapter 15 on the way into work this morning on the train :icon_cheers:

Chalk and Calcium Chloride were where I was headed. Water treatment is pretty new to me, so figured I would put it out there to see what you use.

Numbers would be great if you get a chance - of course I will have to adjust for good ol' Melbourne Water B)

Brendo

Ok, so i am using a profile named 'Malty' for my standard bitters.

Ca 90, SO4 30, Cl 50, CO3 70ppm

To achieve that I add CaCl2, CaSO4 and CaCO3.

The CaCl2 and CaSO4 go into a fermenter of water prior to brewday. I then add the CaCO3 to the mash tun (1/2 at dough in, 1/2 after first runnings drained).

I assume my rainwater is a blank canvas. I measured it last year using an ICP-MS and the readings for the brewing ions were below the detection level of the instrument (0.1ppm) apart from Na which was 5 from memory. I believe there was a reading for Zn as well due to the iron roof but it was single digit as well. A lot of rain has fallen since then but i am happy enough to assume its still in the same ballpark. I drink it, unfiltered and it has no taste.

Ok, so i am using a profile named 'Malty' for my standard bitters.

Ca 90, SO4 30, Cl 50, CO3 70ppm

To achieve that I add CaCl2, CaSO4 and CaCO3.

The CaCl2 and CaSO4 go into a fermenter of water prior to brewday. I then add the CaCO3 to the mash tun (1/2 at dough in, 1/2 after first runnings drained).

Thanks Smurto... gives me a direction to run towards.

Cheers,

Brendo

For What it's worth, this is the new variation I'm trying on Sunday. Going to FWH 10g Styrian. The Pearle is just to get rid of the dregs from an old packet. Any comments before I dive in?

Hop additions have been increased due to oldish hops.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 25.31 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.71 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3Grain 47.06 %
1.50 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 35.29 %
0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 1.18 %
14.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
5.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Styrian Goldings [3.84 %] (60 min) (FirstHops 5.2 IBU
35.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.52 %] (20 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) Yeast-Ale

I've been meaning to have a crack at this recipe for a while.
One possibly dumb question I need to ask - is the 0 minute hop addition flameout or dry hop?
Cheers,
Mark

Hey Doc, you tried the caraaroma version yet?
I am keen to hear how this variation goes...

Not yet but i have 1469 on the stir plate for a bitter this weekend.

Will be making another Landlord with the yeastcake and will have a crack at the caraaroma version

Not yet but i have 1469 on the stir plate for a bitter this weekend.

Will be making another Landlord with the yeastcake and will have a crack at the caraaroma version

mmmmmmmmmm.... think we may need to chat about this one.... :icon_cheers: Caraaroma + styrian goodnes +1469 = Butters passed out on your front lawn :lol: .

Timely this thread has popped up again, brewing this over the weekend after being on the to brew list for a long, long time. Smacked my pack of 1469 this morning and saw it was dated Sep 08!!! It's probably been in my fridge the majority of that time.

Brewing one with simpsons marris otter, 3% cara aroma and 1469 as we type. Used Target for 60min addition. 30mins left in the boil.

Brewing one with simpsons marris otter, 3% cara aroma and 1469 as we type. Used Target for 60min addition. 30mins left in the boil.

Let me know how the simpsons MO goes. Using some of the medium crystal this weekend in a bitter.

Better yet, save me a bottle for the next AMB meet. :icon_drunk:

Let me know how the simpsons MO goes. Using some of the medium crystal this weekend in a bitter.

Better yet, save me a bottle for the next AMB meet. :icon_drunk:

Pretty sure we used it in my Case Swap American Brown Ale too Dr S.

It should be ready to drink now too...

Timely this thread has popped up again, brewing this over the weekend after being on the to brew list for a long, long time. Smacked my pack of 1469 this morning and saw it was dated Sep 08!!! It's probably been in my fridge the majority of that time.
I used mine two weeks ago for a mild and it started up fine, made a starter out of it and poured some into 6 vials for later use.

mmmmmmmmmm.... think we may need to chat about this one.... :icon_cheers: Caraaroma + styrian goodnes +1469 = Butters passed out on your front lawn :lol: .

I've just brewed a bitter with styrians and biscuit malt, must say, i'm extremely impressed.

Pretty sure we used it in my Case Swap American Brown Ale too Dr S.

It should be ready to drink now too...

Yep, sure did. It has a great malt/bread flavour to it.

For What it's worth, this is the new variation I'm trying on Sunday. *post snipped*

missed my targets substantially (O'Henry was there to witness my catastrophic laurtering failures), but bottled and sampled (around 1L!) last night. VERY happy so far, being slightly under gravity was balanced by my mash regeme being slightly hotter than intended - nice body, great hop flavor and aroma, bitterness spot on.

This one is on the list to repeat once I finally put my laughtering issues to bed.

Back