RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that long in bottle, but this recipe done the rye & Amarillo way is very tasty. Love the way rye malt changes the mouthfeel & the rye flavour complements the fruity Amarillo really well.

Got a DSGA planned for the weekend with Golden Promise as the base malt. Am toying with the idea of NS for bittering at 40mins with some late summer saaz (20 and 5) to about 35 IBU. I'm not after a big hop presence, just some fruitiness to compliment the malt. Also have some Amarillo, cascade & simcoe as well as some bravo at my disposal, so not limited to NS & Summer. Thoughts?

Prince Imperial said:
Got a DSGA planned for the weekend with Golden Promise as the base malt. Am toying with the idea of NS for bittering at 40mins with some late summer saaz (20 and 5) to about 35 IBU. I'm not after a big hop presence, just some fruitiness to compliment the malt. Also have some Amarillo, cascade & simcoe as well as some bravo at my disposal, so not limited to NS & Summer. Thoughts?
A mate of mine did a Pacific Ale style beer with a big chunk of summer - real nice drop but the hop flavour faded pretty quickly. I would be tempted to pair it with something.

I've only used it in a saison & I'm not sure exactly what was hops and what was yeast! Endeavour did a summer ale with it last year & it was very nice & subdued. I don't want to pair it with anything that will overshadow it, which I'm worried citra or Amarillo would. Maybe I'll bitter with cascade & pair it with a small amount of a Nelson?

Ha I used summer in a saison along with proper saaz recently too! Have the exact same issue distinguishing flavours, nice though. I'd be tempted to do something like 1/3 cascade 2/3 summer for flavour.

I brewed this last night & used up some left over chinook for bittering, then 14g summer & 10g Nelson at 20 mins and another 14g summer at 5 mins. I'll see how it tastes when it's close to FG, but may also dry hop with more summer.

Got the version from beersmith (wheat, Munich, caramunich and a nice English pearl malt) mashing now.

What hops should I chuck in? First version was all Amarillo and was brilliant. But as well as Amarillo I also have citra, por and some EK goldings here.

Anyone done experiments with particularly citra in dsga?

Topher said:
Got the version from beersmith (wheat, Munich, caramunich and a nice English pearl malt) mashing now.

What hops should I chuck in? First version was all Amarillo and was brilliant. But as well as Amarillo I also have citra, por and some EK goldings here.

Anyone done experiments with particularly citra in dsga?
I havent, however I've done his rye version golden ale with victorias secret. Personally id be going with the citra, its along the same lines and amarillo, vic secret etc.

The good doctor bitters to 30IBU with magnum. Could I sub POR or just use the Amarillo?

Topher said:
The good doctor bitters to 30IBU with magnum. Could I sub POR or just use the Amarillo?
Im not experienced in POR but have done this recipe as is, will all amarillo additions and its always been awesome so id be going for amarillo, however, like I said, I havent used POR.

Thanks! Yep I worked out I have enough Amarillo so I will stick with what I know for this one.

Hi All,

I'm about to do my first AG brew with my 3V setup and think this recipe is a good starter. Instead of Amarillo I'd like to break it up with Galaxy but I'm a bit worried about how bitter it will be when Galaxy is used solely through the whole boil.

Would something like the below be safer?

20 g Cascade (Motueka even?) (60mins)
15 g Cascade (Motueka even?) (10mins)
15 g Galaxy (5mins)
15 g Galaxy (0mins)

What an epic thread! I have decided this will be my cherry popping all grain, and the first brew on my Braumiser... (Not to be confused with the genuine article!)
I'm thinking I will base it on the award winning recipe but with whatever grain my lhbs has (brand/country of origin wise) will hopefully brew on night this week!
Fingers crossed!!!

Prince Imperial said:
I brewed this last night & used up some left over chinook for bittering, then 14g summer & 10g Nelson at 20 mins and another 14g summer at 5 mins. I'll see how it tastes when it's close to FG, but may also dry hop with more summer.
I'm drinking this now. It's nice, but IMO the NS is overbearing. Summer is such a delicate little flower! Next time I'll leave the Nelson out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how using Golden Promise over Pils/Trad would make this beer better/worse?

Should in theory give it a nicer malt flavour, I'm sure somebody in the last 47 pages has done it :)

I've only done this wih trad ale as the base and it's always been good. If that's what you have on hand just use that.

Well I have Pils, GP and BB Pale. Was thinking of trying GP as it might impart a nice toasty biscuit flavour to it, which I would imagine would be complementary to the beer.

Latest posts

Back