RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score

DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Ale - English Best (Special) Bitter
All Grain
* * * * * 169 Votes

Brewer's Notes

0 min hops are dry hops in secondary. Yeast is US-05 (although my personal favourite is WY1272 - American Ale II). Mash in 66, mash out 78. Ferment at 18C. So easy! So tasty! 31 IBU in beersmith.

EDIT 12/10/08
My latest variation used JW trad and JW caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich. Hops adjusted to 20 min and flame-out. No dry hopping. Scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008 and was best beer of show (bottle conditioned for 2 months).

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

If doing full extract, replace the can of Sparkling Ale with a can of unhopped light malt extract. Add a 60 min bittering addition of 20g of Amarillo.

EDIT - 7/09/2011
Try replacing the wheat with rye. Any american hop works well in this recipe.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.8 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.8 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.25 kg Weyermann Caramunich I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
20 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 60mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 5mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

11.5 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 33 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 15 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days

Que what :huh:
No late hopping at all....

How did the bittering turn out?

Not sure which recipe you are looking at matti. 15g @ 10 and 5 mins.

Its not overpowering and the bittering isnt harsh to my taste. Its a real easy drinker that the boys at the SA xmas case swap last year seemed to enjoy.

You might have looked at it as he was still compiling it... these topics get created as soon as you put the name in.

This beer gets my vote without hesitation, It was on tap at the swap day at my place last year and after that i wouldn't give Smurto his keg back until it was empty :) i then managed to get another keg off him which lasted a grand total of 8 days in my special care....:lol:
AWESOME hop flavour, the bitterness was just to my taste as well. I brewed this the other day and I'm very much looking forward to kegging (and drinking it of course) so I can make some more :D Going to be on tap at my place for the forseeable future.

edit: spelling

You might have looked at it as he was still compiling it... these topics get created as soon as you put the name in.

Correctomundo

I see the late hopping now.
I will have ago at something similar my self.
My last one turned out a bit too harch, though it was a partial adhoc recipe.

Matti

add on edit I like some cascade in there as well

70%. Colour is spot on. Only the IBUs are out, 31 using tinseth in beersmith.

And cascade would work equally well IMO maybe even in combo with the amarillo.

I had 500+g of amarillo at one point so this was my house ale for a long time and never did seem to last very long. :chug:

about to give this recipe a go!

just want to make sure... it says "0 mins hops are in secondary." Does this mean these hops are added to secondary fermentation? May be a stupid question, I just want to make sure

what normally that would mean (and correct me if im wrong Smurto if you meant somwthing differant for your recipe), is for dry hopping you want primary fermentation to mostly be over so the CO2 being prodcued doestn drive off the hop aroma and flavour of dry hopping. hence adding it to secondary or to the primary once fermentation has just about finished (or when it has 10% of gravity left to ferment out I think is the technical time to do it).

edit: grammer

Spot on CM2 - i rack after 7 days and add the hops in a tea ball. If i am dry hopping in the keg i skip this step (well, not always :D )

Seems to be the beer of the moment.

I did a batch on the weekend though had to substitute the Amarillo with Centenial.

Wow, seems to be quite popular. Very easy drinker tho, doesnt last long on tap.

Reminds me, i have some amarillo floating around in the freezer, its been too long since i made one of these.

I tried to vote for this but I don't know how to!
The littel star thingy at the top of the recipe lets me "set my rating" but it doesn't have any effect on the number of votes.
:(

just kegged one of these aswell having the first glass from it bloody good recipe Drsmurto think it will stay on as a house ale over winter to give me a break from the other dark beers I have on tap at the moment

+1 for this one!

Just cracked one on the weekend, f*ing nice (although cascade was used coz I already had it laying around). Gonna have to get my act together and brew another coz I this can't see this batch lasting too long ;)

Cheers

Hey,
I just got all my grain and hops in the mail, cheers Ross! I'm all ready to get a batch going now but the recipe is a bit light on instructions for a first time all grainer...

"Mash in 66, mash out 78."

How long for each of these steps? And mash out is when I've transfered the sparge water to the kettle right?

Also, at what point in the whole process are the hops added? 60 mins during mash in? 10 mins during mash out? Then 5 mins.... somewhere else? I understand the 0 mins for secondary though :)

Thanks in advance for any help :) - Joseph.

Ok, mash in means the temperature of the mash - so in this case its 66C. Leave it for an hour and then add enough boiling water to bring the mash temp up to 78. This isnt crucial so if you dont want to do it you dont have to. Bringing the temp up to 78 is called the mash out.

I boil for 90 mins routinely so in this case, the first hop addition is at 60 mins (ie - 60 mins from the end of the boil, 30 mins from the start of the boil). The flavour/aroma hops are then added at 15 and 5 mins from the end of the boil.

If you want the beersmith file send me a PM and i can email it to you.

Latest posts

Back