RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny this thread getting more comment. I was just in the shed sampling my copy of the good doctor's recipe. Two weeks in the keg and it's yummy !

Hey, cheers Doc! That explains it clear enough :) I'm going to go get to it before the sun sets :D thanks again, hope it turns out well!

That is a great recipe, as I have made it. One of the best. I only made it to 26 IBU's and thought it was still way over hopped for a JSGA Clone. They must only use a very small about of hops.

Steve

Also dude your link does not work :(

Seems to be working for me mate, not sure whats happening for you.

p.s. it is much more flavoursome and bitter than JSGA but i find JSGA to be a tad bland.

Yeah file downloads for me too. But I don't have the program so I don't know if it works.

I just finally put this into my fermenter... Original gravity of only 1024, so even if it ferments to 1000, it'll only be 3.1% alcohol. Not that I care about the alcohol, but my system must suck!

Should I add a can of liquid malt? So pissed of right now :(

Seems to be working for me mate, not sure whats happening for you.

p.s. it is much more flavoursome and bitter than JSGA but i find JSGA to be a tad bland.

Its funny you should say that, JSGA tastes a little bland. It is still one of my favourite beers, but after trying my own APA I find JSGA a little thin tasting. The aroma though is still nice.

BYB

Yeah file downloads for me too. But I don't have the program so I don't know if it works.

I just finally put this into my fermenter... Original gravity of only 1024, so even if it ferments to 1000, it'll only be 3.1% alcohol. Not that I care about the alcohol, but my system must suck!

Should I add a can of liquid malt? So pissed of right now :(

jojai,

What was the temp of your strike water (the water you added to your grain)?

Screwy

I wish that this thread would drop out of the "All latest threads". I've got enough to brew without being reminded that I haven't brewed this recipe yet!

Edit - Damn! Adding this post just sent this topic to the top of the "All latest threads" box. :p

True, I think it's a little over rated myself. JSGA that is!

Had a few pints of JSGA last night and was wondering how they manage to make it more bland each time i drink it. Do they have a special in-line flavour remover on the way to the tap? Like a reverse randall?

Thats funny, i used to love it but since making my own APAs find it not so nice

Yes, very few commercial brew float my boat these days, other than the big european names.

Steve

Hey Screwtop, my strike water (as in the water in the mash tun?) sat between 66-70C

The 70 occured mainly at the start of the mash, but also I had a temperature variance of around 4C for most of the mash in different parts of the tun. I then upped the average temperature to 78 for the mash out, but again, the temperature variance was around 4C...

I think the problem was in an attempt to lower sediment I didn't sparge too vigorously so I bet a lot of sugar was left on the grain, which explains why my cat was eating it when it spilled on the floor. (He also ate a hop pellet... weird cat).

Hey Screwtop, my strike water (as in the water in the mash tun?) sat between 66-70C

I think the problem was in an attempt to lower sediment I didn't sparge too vigorously so I bet a lot of sugar was left on the grain, which explains why my cat was eating it when it spilled on the floor. (He also ate a hop pellet... weird cat).

What was your total brewing water, all water added to the grain for strike and sparge etc. And what weight of milled grain did you have ?

which explains why my cat was eating it when it spilled on the floor. (He also ate a hop pellet... weird cat).

Lucky it wasn't your dog, hops can kill them!!

Cheers,

Screwy

Bump.

Making this sunday. Looks delish. Only Ale that had heaps of votes in the RecipeDB.

Biggups Doc S.

Thanks to me it's now the most rated recipe in the DB! Go me!

Had Smurto's version and domonsura's version... both tasty as :)

Latest posts

Back