RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think go for the Munich. First because it's a nice malt (especially the German stuff). And more importantly because it sounds like you really want to. What better reason. :D

Be interested in how you like the 1272, Dr S. I really like that yeast myself. Works well in a number of styles, APA especially. :chug:

I've had 3 vials of 1272 sitting in my fridge for months that BenH gave me. Up until very recently i thought they were 1275 :huh: (bens handwriting is fine, its my eyes that clearly need some work)

What better excuse to open another packet of amarillo..... or cascade.... or...or...or

Dr Smurto,
This recipe rocks. I did this one as my first ever AG & hit 78% efficiency. OG came in at 1.048 & final gravity at 1.012. Primary for 7 days, secondary for 7 days with 15gm Amarillo pellets.
Awesome flavoured beer. I bought a six pack of JSGA last weekend & realised how bad the commercial beers are, I managed to down one & left it at that. Thin, bland & boring compared to mine, & thats out of the fermenter.
This is being kegged tonight & I can't wait to pour my first glass.
Cheers,
Crusty

Let us know when you give it a taste... mine should be carbed up by next weekend.

Will do Trev,
I filtered it this morning to the keg & have it chilling till tomorrow morning. I am going to force carb this one tomorrow at 230kpa for a full 48 hours. This will be around 2.6 volumes co2.
Cheers,
Crusty

Ok,
Getting too keen to try this one. I have changed my attack back to the original plan & have adjusted the regulator to 90kpa & will leave it for 7 days & will test then.
Cheers,
Crusty

I really want to make this beer. Am organising the amarillo at the moment but have no weyermann pilsener on hand and am not buying grain for a while. How important is this grain to this recipe? I have loads of BB pale lying around.

I really want to make this beer. Am organising the amarillo at the moment but have no weyermann pilsener on hand and am not buying grain for a while. How important is this grain to this recipe? I have loads of BB pale lying around.

The one i have on tap atm is JW ale and JW caramalt instead of the wey pils and wey caramunich. Not quite as nice but still a tasty bloody drop IIDSSM :icon_drunk:

Doc, how do you reckon it would go with caraaroma instead of the caramunich? Too heavy?

Be more of an AAA instead of an APA. If you dropped the amount a bit i dont see why it should make it a 'heavier' beer, darker and a touch maltier maybe. Would be interested in the results if you go ahead with it. May need to increase the hop additions slightly, 20g @ 10 and 5 mins.......

I plan on putting my first one of these down on Saturday. Some eager punters want to drink it 2 weeks later for the AFL grand final. So the time frame is a little compressed. Probably 7 days in primary, 5 in secondary and forced carbed the last two.

Just wondering how it will taste being served so soon... should I tweak the recipe at all ... maybe wind the IBUs back a point or two?

Should be fine mate, i drink all my beers nearly 2 weeks after ferment has finished, one of the perks of force carbing and filtering. Also, you can force carb in half an hour using the shake and sit method.

Thanks for the advice gents. I'll relax.

DrSmurto, what's the rational behind the extended primary?

I'm kinda new at this game but I'd assume this is simply to age it a little more in the short time available? With the cold temp and finings clearing it out asap. So I'm kinda gaining some extra conditioning by rushing the secondary. Am I warm?

I plan on putting my first one of these down on Saturday. Some eager punters want to drink it 2 weeks later for the AFL grand final. So the time frame is a little compressed. Probably 7 days in primary, 5 in secondary and forced carbed the last two.

Just wondering how it will taste being served so soon... should I tweak the recipe at all ... maybe wind the IBUs back a point or two?

Mine was fermented for 9 racked for 3 with gelatine and then bang, into the keg, chilled and carbed and gone in 3 days!!! :eek: The only adjustment I might make is to cut back on the munich a fraction. I thought there was a little to much malt aroma for my likeing. But still a good beer all the same.

BYB

Been a while since i looked at the recipe on here.

My brewing methodology has evolved since then.

I tend to keep my ales in primary for 14 days and then secondary for a minimum of 14 days at 1C.

I also dry hop in the keg rather than in secondary.

The 'rationale' behind the extended primary is to allow the yeast to finish their housekeeping. ie. clean up the by products they excrete during fermentation. Its much easier (and cleaner IMO) to achieve this when the yeast cake is still there ie. higher yeast concentration.

The fermentation is done and dusted in 5-7 days at 18C with US-05, sometimes quicker. SO if you are pushed for time you can shorten this. I just find it gives me a cleaner beer.

I have a few batches of this in the queue, all with subtle changes. The one in the fermenter now started at 1.045, is now at 1.007, and still looking fairly active. I'm proud of my little yeasties and all, but how low will they go? Airlock is still bubbling away, it visually looks like stuff is going on. The sample I took today tasted fantastic, drank the whole hydrometer. It's US05.

My recipe was close to the AHB db one, except there's 200g dex in the boil to dry it out a bit further. I'm aiming to give this one more mainstream appeal, as I'm slowly brining even my die-hard VB mates over to the world of good beer. My other batch is the opposite, and also higher IBU's :)

My last batch was 1.048 down to 1.009 with US05.

Using dex you would expect it to go a few points lower.

The bubbling airlock may just be CO2 coming out of solution. It may be pretty much done and dusted.

Yep, even TED drinkers dont seem to mind this. A subtle APA seems to be a good transition beer before you hit them with a hopburst.....

This looks like it is going to be my first AG attempt. I enjoy JSGA and this recipe seems the goods but I have a quick question that I may have overlooked in my reading. How much water is added to the mash tun for mash in, and how much is used for sparging? I imagine this would effect the quality of the wort, I am sure it has probably been mentioned but..................

Get yourself a copy of beersmith. Its free for 30 days but worth every cent IMO.

It does take a bit of trial and error to get your volumes right due to boil off %, losses in the kettle etc but you should get close for the first go.

Download the beersmith recipe file here - Link

That is set up for my system but should give you an idea.

So, mine finished at 1.004 here (from 1.044), bringing things to 5.2%abv and 90% attenuation!.. It tastes pretty good, but very much like a mass-produced brew. The alcohol seems a bit more evident, as well as the bittering hops. Luckily it's still balanced enough for a stronger session beer.

Back