RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely. Mashed at 66C.
2860721591_56e6eecb0e_o.jpg

Hi DrSmurto,
I have a quick question . I did two double batches of the your golden ale Saturday two weeks ago. Sg on the first was 1050 great, but the second was low at 1032 .The first double went between the father inlaw and the brother inlaw . I fermented out half the second and cubed the second half . My question is could or should I add Something to bring up the sg when I drop the cube onto the yeast cake of my first half? I used wyeast 1056.

Hi DrSmurto,
I have a quick question . I did two double batches of the your golden ale Saturday two weeks ago. Sg on the first was 1050 great, but the second was low at 1032 .The first double went between the father inlaw and the brother inlaw . I fermented out half the second and cubed the second half . My question is could or should I add Something to bring up the sg when I drop the cube onto the yeast cake of my first half? I used wyeast 1056.

1.032 will be very thin and watery so you will need to add some extract tp up the gravity. I have gotten away with as low as 1.044 but i wouldnt go any lower than that. Use beersmith to figure out how much extract to add to reach your target gravity.

Just a quick note to say this beer scored 46/50 at ANAWBS.

1st place in UK 1 (English Pale Ale section)
It also scored Best Beer of Show

not too shabby.......

Batch # 6 is bubbling away in my fermentation fridge now.

1st place in UK 1 (English Pale Ale section)

Doesn't look quite like an English Pale Ale to me. I'd have put it down as a straightforward (and very tasty looking) APA. Which one does it taste like though? :unsure:

Its supposed to be a UK summer ale (as per JS). I've been meaning to make this with some WYeast ESB.

Doesn't look quite like an English Pale Ale to me. I'd have put it down as a straightforward (and very tasty looking) APA. Which one does it taste like though? :unsure:

My thoughts exactly :wacko: If this is the case what does that say about the judging :eek:

BYB

Judges aren't told what the beer was made with, it's down to how it's interpreted as a 'style'. Too my mind it wouldn't have enough forward hop character to make it as an APA, as an english pale it's about right and the hops (According to the AABC and BJCP guidelines) fit right as well.

I wasn't trying to suggest there was anything wrong with the judges at all. Just a judging geek's question. :D

You might be right, mika. It doesn't seem to have quite the malt profile there (I guess it depends on what style it was in that category), and the yeast is too clean really. But that's just how it looks from the recipe and it might not be how it tasted - which is why I was asking.

I've made this beer more than once an it's a cracker,English Pale Ale, well I would not classify it as such.
Whatever it did well in the competition,and well worth a shot at brewing.

Batz

It doesn't seem to have quite the malt profile there (I guess it depends on what style it was in that category)

Actually that is an interesting point. Having made the Smurto Ale I thought it was a little more malt driven than what I would have expected, after tasting my version. But all that being said the beer is most definitely Amarillo driven with flavour and aroma. So the point on interpretation when judging is a valid point.

BYB

You would also think that American hops would be out of style.

Anyway, congratulations Smurto on the award. 46 points is a great effort

Kabooby :)

Yeah, this stuff is a crowd pleaser. I only bottle it in 1.5L PET, anything else is too small for the boozers that come to visit. No reason to have so many tiny bottles sitting around.

I actually entered it into SABSOSA as an APA.

Comments were "lacking the hop character for the style", "crisp, clean flavours but very subtle, particularly with the hops", "very drinkable and very clean".

So taking that on board and also noting that JSGA (which i took as my "inspiration" for the recipe) is an english style summer ale (says so on the label) I entered it as and an english pale ale.

As Mika pointed out, US hops are allowed (according to both the BJCP guidelines and the info provided by ANAWBS). The flavour and aroma hops are only 0.75g/L so definitely not APA territory.

Subbing in ~20% of the ale malt with munich gives it a maltier backbone that i wouldnt use in my APAs.

Fair enough, good doctor. I guess being a style nazi for one last minute, that English summer ales can also be entered as blonde ales, but that's in the BJCP ones not in ANAWBS.

Anyway, not meaning to take anything away from you. Well done, Dr S. It must have been a great beer to get such a good score. :super: :beerbang:

All the positive feedback makes me want to break my rule and brew somebody else's recipe with fiddling with it. :D

I'll stick my head out here as usual.

If it suits the judges tastes your on a winner,and this brew does suit most tastes.

Well done Dr

Batz

Fair enough, good doctor. I guess being a style nazi for one last minute, that English summer ales can also be entered as blonde ales, but that's in the BJCP ones not in ANAWBS.

Anyway, not meaning to take anything away from you. Well done, Dr S. It must have been a great beer to get such a good score. :super: :beerbang:

All the positive feedback makes me want to break my rule and brew somebody else's recipe with fiddling with it. :D

Dont you dare Stuster! :eek:

Fiddle away. I have brewed a few of Warrens recipe but dont follow them to the letter.

I take the idea/concept and then tweak it to my tastes.

'Tis the joy of brewing!

Having made a beer or 2 very similar to The Dr's Golden ale, i also question its likeness to an english pale ale. Amarillo is citrus and passionfruit driven. A bit of caramalt is not going to give the nutty caramel character of said beer style, of the floral hops.

Ahhh but who cares Umpires call stands firm right :rolleyes: Can the judges stand up and draw a square in the air if they were snoozing of perving on the preety girls in the members stand :p

Im planning something very similar for my next beer. I ordered NZ Styrian goldings flowers a while back and got Amarillo pellets. Gotts do something with them

Who ordered amarillo and got Styrians?

cheers

Back