RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1007. Very keen to hear how this goes. Sounds like a very versatile yeast.

Thats a lot more amarillo than i normally use but then at 36 IBU you are certainly heading towards APA territory rather than the best bitter i like to think this beer is (when 30 IBU or less) :ph34r:

I've got a hefe weizen in the fridge at the moment...

I think I would rather let it stay put though.

Anyways, no matter what hop schedule I use (to an extent) this is going to taste great!

1007. Very keen to hear how this goes. Sounds like a very versatile yeast.

Thats a lot more amarillo than i normally use but then at 36 IBU you are certainly heading towards APA territory rather than the best bitter i like to think this beer is (when 30 IBU or less)
1007 is great. The first couple I did I was cloning the JSGA and it did not start to taste close until I dropped the hops down to 12 or 15 IBU's. Either way its a good drop.

Steve

I jumped on the bandwagon last night too (wasn't much room on there......... :icon_cheers: ) I adhered very closely to the original recipe, my only deviations were that I used 'II' instead of 'I' on the Munich, my bittering addition was Northern Brewer instead of Amarillo, and I added 250g of honey (I have a kilo tub that has crystallised and I want to use it up, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered - I don't think it will hurt). Everything else was exactly as per the RecipeDB. Looking forward to keggin' up in a few weeks!!

We brewed this on the weekend want to see what all the fuss is about! Though I am a Amarillo fan so it was a easy choice plus I have 1 kilo of the stuff. The only difference is we have not dry hopped it!

Looking forward to trying it in two weeks if we can wait that long....

Muckey did this as his first brew the other week, followed the recipe to the absolute letter to establish a baseline.....

I'm not a huge fan of american anything (I'm not quite as bad as Tony, but getting there :p ). I gotta say, though....I got a big slap on the wrist for drinking from the test sample 5 days into fermentation. :lol:

As far as extra bitterness due to NC? Well, Muckey no chilled his....and I hate beer thats too bitter. The recipe as it stands is right at the very upper limits of my personal taste preferences as far as bittering is concerned, but tasting the sample (which was within a hairs breadth of FG), it seemed very, very well balanced to me, definately not too bitter....so I would have to say to those thinking of shortening the hop schedule if they are going to NC, to at least do the first one as-is. If I don't find the NC version too bitter, I highly doubt you will. I have a major sweet tooth.

Muckey did this as his first brew the other week, followed the recipe to the absolute letter to establish a baseline.....

I'm not a huge fan of american anything (I'm not quite as bad as Tony, but getting there :p ). I gotta say, though....I got a big slap on the wrist for drinking from the test sample 5 days into fermentation. :lol:

As far as extra bitterness due to NC? Well, Muckey no chilled his....and I hate beer thats too bitter. The recipe as it stands is right at the very upper limits of my personal taste preferences as far as bittering is concerned, but tasting the sample (which was within a hairs breadth of FG), it seemed very, very well balanced to me, definately not too bitter....so I would have to say to those thinking of shortening the hop schedule if they are going to NC, to at least do the first one as-is. If I don't find the NC version too bitter, I highly doubt you will. I have a major sweet tooth.

bit too late for me. Got some NCing right now. Did 20g Amarillo at 60min, 15g Amarillo at 10 min and 15g Amarillo in the cube. Will also be doing 15g in secondary.

I have a counterflow chiller, just haven't used it yet.

I think that this is going to be the beer that I do the no chill vs chill comparison with.

:icon_offtopic: NC took me quite awhile to work that one out...

Shouldnt acronyms be more then 2 single letters....?

bit too late for me. Got some NCing right now. Did 20g Amarillo at 60min, 15g Amarillo at 10 min and 15g Amarillo in the cube. Will also be doing 15g in secondary.

I have a counterflow chiller, just haven't used it yet.

I think that this is going to be the beer that I do the no chill vs chill comparison with.

slightly OT, but I think thats a brilliant idea....a well proven, well balanced recipe for a direct comparison.

Any ideas how this beer(or for that means any APA) will turn out using and English Ale yeast, aka s-04??? (its all i have left) I'm guessing slightly maltier??

Hows it goin ,50Lt batch down on sat got 78.26 into boiler ,just wondering should I keep my dry hop as double as well cause its in 60Lt fermenter I dont want it under style.
Cheers Dr

Hows it goin ,50Lt batch down on sat got 78.26 into boiler ,just wondering should I keep my dry hop as double as well cause its in 60Lt fermenter I dont want it under style.
Cheers Dr

I would.

As for style, lets not go there again. :rolleyes: :icon_drunk:

I had to see what all the fuss was about and cracked my first bottle of this last night. It's a lovely beer with good balance.

Because it's well balanced and the recipe is so simple, it's a good one to tinker with. For example, for my tastes I would use an ale malt instead of pils.

And well done Dr Smurto on the Best of Show.

had to see what all the fuss was about and cracked my first bottle of this last night. It's a lovely beer with good balance.

Because it's well balanced and the recipe is so simple, it's a good one to tinker with. For example, for my tastes I would use an ale malt instead of pils.

We bottled ours on the weekend.... looking forward to christmas this year... we have no beer ready to drink as yet but will at chrissy time.... and certainly look forward to this one.

I had to see what all the fuss was about and cracked my first bottle of this last night. It's a lovely beer with good balance.

I did mine with Golden Promise instead of the Pils which I really enjoyed, and so did a party full of people cos my keg didnt last very long :party:

There is about 3 weeks until christmas lunch / dinner for me. I have had this in the primary for 1 week now.

I would like to be able to drink this for christmas / along with my wheat beer. Which means bottling today or tomorrow! - If I do this, I will be skipping the secondary.

Is it going to be necessary to have it in secondary for a week as well? As for the 15 grams of hops in secondary, I want to step them in some boiling water for a few mins, strain and pour into the bottleing bucket (ultra late hopping).

Would this be a quick fix for me now, or would it be better for me to just do it as the recipe says and have the beers all to myself after christmas?

There is about 3 weeks until christmas lunch / dinner for me. I have had this in the primary for 1 week now.

I would like to be able to drink this for christmas / along with my wheat beer. Which means bottling today or tomorrow! - If I do this, I will be skipping the secondary.

Is it going to be necessary to have it in secondary for a week as well? As for the 15 grams of hops in secondary, I want to step them in some boiling water for a few mins, strain and pour into the bottleing bucket (ultra late hopping).

Would this be a quick fix for me now, or would it be better for me to just do it as the recipe says and have the beers all to myself after christmas?

Never tried that but i guess it will work, give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Other alternative is to tip the hop juice into your fermenter and wait a day or 2 and then bottle.

I keep it in secondary more for the dry hopping stage and to get it off the yeast cake.

Racking isnt necessary so you can easily skip this step.

not sure if this has been done before, but i'm currently drinking a light version of this which i brewed for my parents joint 50th birthday celebrations.

Smurto LIGHT Golden Ale

1.00 kg Pilsner ---------- 39.2 %
0.70 kg Munich Malt -----27.5 %
0.70 kg Wheat Malt ----- 27.5 %
0.10 kg BBCrystal Malt -- 3.9 % - (i later realised i did actually have caramunich)
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt -- 2.0 %
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (40 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

WY1332 (didn't have 1056 on a plate and didn't have time to recover from frozen stocks :p)

the hop regime was compensating for no-chilling

measured OG ~ 1.025
measured FG ~ 1.005
Alc/vol ~ 2.5%
~ 216 calories/L

the verdict, a tiny bit watery (not as much so as other commercial light beers tho), pleasant subtle bitterness and hoppy amarillo-ness. next time i'll push for more crystal malt and possibly some carapils, aim for 3-3.5% and mash a bit warmer to still hit 2.5%. need to get the malt flavours in there but it is certainly far from boring and should go down a treat.

Mike
Have you considered keeping the OG as is, and jump mashing it? My last jump mash went from 1026 and ended on 1010, using nottingham...I would expect similar-ish results from US05 or similar. One of the issues I've found, even when I manage to drop the attenuation to finish at a reasonable gravity, is a lack of malt flavour....I can get the body there, but the malt flavour is a lot more subtle....I got around it by increasing the percentage of munich when compared to the regular mild grainbill on which the jumpmash was based (which was normally 1035og)...upped the munich from 18% to 40ish%, problem solved.

Latest posts

Back