RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike
Have you considered keeping the OG as is, and jump mashing it? My last jump mash went from 1026 and ended on 1010, using nottingham...I would expect similar-ish results from US05 or similar. One of the issues I've found, even when I manage to drop the attenuation to finish at a reasonable gravity, is a lack of malt flavour....I can get the body there, but the malt flavour is a lot more subtle....I got around it by increasing the percentage of munich when compared to the regular mild grainbill on which the jumpmash was based (which was normally 1035og)...upped the munich from 18% to 40ish%, problem solved.

1.026 to 1.010 is 2.1% by my beersmith's calculations. i was after somewhere between 2.5-3%. i'd certainly want to finish at around 1010 tho.

would also make sense to up the munich and possibly even drop some of the wheat. in any case it's still an awesome drop which i'll be brewing at least several times again over summer, so plenty of opportunity for experimentation. will keep posted

Can you save some for case swap day? Would love to know how a light version of this tastes.

I make a Rogers type beer which is around 3.2% - cascade, amarillo and NS. Plenty of munich but cut the wheat back to 5%

sure i'll bottle some off before mum n dad's celebrations on saturday :D

one more week for me.... looking forward to it :icon_chickcheers:

Carbing mine up tonight in preparation for next weekends case swap. :party:

One of the reasons i force carb is it requires several samples to get the carbonation spot on.... or at least thats my excuse. :icon_drunk:

I brewed mine on sat 47lts and has stopped at 1020 hope I can get a few more,started 1043, us05.Taste great out of fermenter I am letting it go .

I may try one tonight... 5 days in the bottle!

5 days of patience - i think you earned a cheeky sampler! :beerbang:

I brewed mine on sat 47lts and has stopped at 1020 hope I can get a few more,started 1043, us05.Taste great out of fermenter I am letting it go .

1020 is high (what was your mash temp?). I leave mine in primary for 2 weeks these days rather than rushing to rack/bottle/keg it.

5 days of patience - i think you earned a cheeky sampler! :beerbang:

1020 is high (what was your mash temp?). I leave mine in primary for 2 weeks these days rather than rushing to rack/bottle/keg it.

Mashed at 66 got 78.26 into boiler I will leave it for another week then filter

Im brewing the following recipe tomorrow. Ive got i bit of crystal malt id like to use up, but only if it wont be detramental to the finished product. Any input would be appreciated.

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.0 SRM) Grain 66.04 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 18.87 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 9.43 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
11.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
6.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
22.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
23.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.79 %
Bitterness: 28.6 IBU
Est Color: 10.2 SRM

TYVM

Dr my golden ale was stuck at 1020 brought it up to 23deg and 8 days later 1005 cant believe it crashed chilled it, added polyclar used my new filter the next day,what a cracker of a drop,house ale for sure ,top job.
love my filter cheers.

Has been in the bottle for 6 days now.

Cracked one to give it a go. Tastes very nice, but really shows that my homebrewing has some way to come before I am cranking out great beers - as it was my second beer. It is cloudy still :(

Just put in a grain order for a 50L batch of this beer, as my first AG beer.

Will be making it over the xmas break. Following the recipe to the letter (Assuming HBS has the right grains in stock).

Merry Xmas to all! Beers! :beerbang:

Has been in the bottle for 6 days now.

Cracked one to give it a go. Tastes very nice, but really shows that my homebrewing has some way to come before I am cranking out great beers - as it was my second beer. It is cloudy still :(

Philip, dont let that get you down! I too have issues with cloudy beer (allthough most people would after only 6 days in the bottle) but what you need to remember is that visualness doesnt affect taste, I like my beer, and so do many other people, in fact, others like it so much they look past the haze that I get and come back for more... The only real issue with a hazy beer is that it will put people off before they try it, if it tastes good, then try not to worry about it too much.. B)

I jumped onto the bandwagon and brewed this one to see what it is all about, and I have to say that it is the best ALE I have ever brewed.

My version had Amarillo as an aroma/dry hop, the bittering and flavour additions were subbed with Ahtanhum, The colour is just lovely, and everything else turned out perfectly, except that my FG dropped right down to 1.002. I have never had a brew attenuate that much, still it doesn't affect the end result.

No wonder this is the most highly rated recipe in the DB.

Well done Dr S!

hi guys,
I'm doing this tonight.. however I didn't have quite enough Pilsner left, so substituted with Munich. I know this will affect the taste, but will it still be ok?

The original recipe was:

9.60 kg *Pilsner (3.4 EBC) Grain 56.80 %
3.20 kg *Munich (18.0 EBC) Grain 18.93 %
3.20 kg *Wheat (3.4 EBC) Grain 18.93 %
0.90 kg *Caramunich (90.0 EBC) Grain 5.33 %
90.00 gm *Amarillo [8.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
70.00 gm *Amarillo [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
55.00 gm *Amarillo [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
55.00 gm *Amarillo [8.20 %] (0 min) Hops

changed it to

8.90 kg *Pilsner (3.4 EBC) Grain 56.80 %
3.90 kg *Munich (18.0 EBC) Grain 18.93 %

its not a big change and should only have a small effect
personally I think it will be more :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

changed it to

8.90 kg *Pilsner (3.4 EBC) Grain 56.80 %
3.90 kg *Munich (18.0 EBC) Grain 18.93 %
That is a huge amount of amarillo! I made a partial mash golden ale along simialr lines to Dr S, and I used POR for bittering (I believe that JS does too, but I've been wrong before) and used a total of 60g amarillo (20g at 10 min, 5 min and 0 min) for flavour/ aroma. After 2 months in the bottle, my own opinion is that this is too much amarillo and the hops taste is a touch too much, certainly more so than stubbies of JSGA - I think the original Dr S recipe called for 15g additions and I should have listened to someone with much more experience than me. Next time I will use 15g adds. BTW, it is still a little cloudy, I used 30% wheat which is same as the original JSGA.

Hazard

That is a huge amount of amarillo! I made a partial mash golden ale along simialr lines to Dr S, and I used POR for bittering (I believe that JS does too, but I've been wrong before) and used a total of 60g amarillo (20g at 10 min, 5 min and 0 min) for flavour/ aroma. After 2 months in the bottle, my own opinion is that this is too much amarillo and the hops taste is a touch too much, certainly more so than stubbies of JSGA - I think the original Dr S recipe called for 15g additions and I should have listened to someone with much more experience than me. Next time I will use 15g adds. BTW, it is still a little cloudy, I used 30% wheat which is same as the original JSGA.

Hazard

JS use Super Alpha for bittering.. :rolleyes:

Back