RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a huge amount of amarillo!

So, just read your post again (note to self - read first before I reply) - I am now assuming that with this weight of grain that you are looking at a big batch - my batch size was for 23L, what size are you aiming for?

Hazard

So, just read your post again (note to self - read first before I reply) - I am now assuming that with this weight of grain that you are looking at a big batch - my batch size was for 23L, what size are you aiming for?
Hazard
Follow the thread back to post 1, page 1, and have a look at the recipe link. Original recipe for 20L, yours looks to be for 50L.

hey hazard, yeh this will be about a 70L batch.

Have 1kg of Amarillo at the moment, so have to get through it!

As a self confessed munich addict i think more munich will only be an improvement :super:

The IBUs look a little high tho, bring it back to 30 to keep it a quaffer :icon_drunk:

As a self confessed munich addict i think more munich will only be an improvement :super:

The IBUs look a little high tho, bring it back to 30 to keep it a quaffer :icon_drunk:

Quaffer alright our 60 or more bottles are gone! Also Dr Smurto I have friends outside AHB that are brewing it now and loving it... B)

:party: Fame, albeit virtual, at last!

Never lasts long here either, mates go straight for that tap.

You have two discussion threads going at the moment... Dr you are famous!

We didnt share ours.... well a little!

I jumped onto the bandwagon and brewed this one to see what it is all about, and I have to say that it is the best ALE I have ever brewed.

My version had Amarillo as an aroma/dry hop, the bittering and flavour additions were subbed with Ahtanhum, The colour is just lovely, and everything else turned out perfectly, except that my FG dropped right down to 1.002. I have never had a brew attenuate that much, still it doesn't affect the end result.

No wonder this is the most highly rated recipe in the DB.

Well done Dr S!

Hey Blackbock - Enough changes there to call your own recipe & sounds like a good one at that... So get it in the database if you haven't already.

cheers Ross

I just racked the Dr's GA into a keg today. I did add 100gr of malanoidin to the grain bill, had a prelim and tastes great. Looking forward to cracking this in three weeks.

You have two discussion threads going at the moment... Dr you are famous!

We didnt share ours.... well a little!

I've met him in person :eek: i tried to look directly at him, but was nearly blinded by the sheer awesomeness! i asked him what burner he uses, he said he doesn't, all he has to do is hold the kettle to his head, close his eyes and imagine fire!

reminds me, i have to get this on tap again soon. if i try this as a light beer, how would 2:2:1 munich:pilsner:wheat malt go (with the caramunich in there as well of course)?

Anyone got an extract / grain steep receipe for Dr S. Golden ale?

Sounds bloody nice and I would like to get in on the action!

Anyone got an extract / grain steep receipe for Dr S. Golden ale?

Sounds bloody nice and I would like to get in on the action!

you could try
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG estimated BG 1.049
Estimated Color: 16.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (in boil) (15.8 EBC) Extract 46.2 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (after boil) (15.8 EBCExtract 46.2 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 7.7 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US05) Yeast-Ale

I've met him in person :eek: i tried to look directly at him, but was nearly blinded by the sheer awesomeness! i asked him what burner he uses, he said he doesn't, all he has to do is hold the kettle to his head, close his eyes and imagine fire!

wow :eek: :eek: :eek: i heard a phone poll had him voted an SA legend!

to keep slightly on topic: i should get more amarillo

Hey Blackbock - Enough changes there to call your own recipe & sounds like a good one at that... So get it in the database if you haven't already.

Nah, the Dr might sue me for plagiarism..

you could try
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG estimated BG 1.049
Estimated Color: 16.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (in boil) (15.8 EBC) Extract 46.2 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (after boil) (15.8 EBCExtract 46.2 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 7.7 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US05) Yeast-Ale

You think that will be close Butters??

You think that will be close Butters??

probably as close as you'll get without doing a mash. Just don't change the boil volume with out compensating for the resultant change in boil gravity.....if you need to, replace the lme with ldme to enable easier changing of volumes.

Ok. So my steps would be as follows.

1. Steep the cracked grain (0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) ) in 2 lt of water at 68-70 degrees for 30 min.

2. Strain this into another pot and sparge the grain with enough hot water until you have 10 litres of liquid in your boil pot. Discard the spent grain.

3. Add the 1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract to the pot and bring to a rolling boil.

4. Follow hop schedule -

5. 0 min. Flame out. Add 1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract. Dissolve in pot.

6. Let the liquid cool in an ice water bath with the lid on for about 20min or until pitch temp achieved. Strain this liquid into your fermenter and top up with cold water to the 20 litre mark. Pitch yeast.

7. After 7 days fermenting. Rack to secondary and add another 15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%]

8. Leave another few more days. Bottle/Keg as normal.

Sound about right?

Back