RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.

Will do this one next week hopefully. Thanks Butters.

Ok. So my steps would be as follows.

1. Steep the cracked grain (0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) ) in 2 lt of water at 68-70 degrees for 30 min.

2. Strain this into another pot and sparge the grain with enough hot water until you have 10 litres of liquid in your boil pot. Discard the spent grain.

3. Add the 1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract to the pot and bring to a rolling boil.

4. Follow hop schedule -

20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU

5. 0 min. Flame out. Add 1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract. Dissolve in pot.

6. Let the liquid cool in an ice water bath with the lid on for about 20min or until pitch temp achieved. Strain this liquid into your fermenter and top up with cold water to the 20 litre mark. Pitch yeast.

7. After 7 days fermenting. Rack to secondary and add another 15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%]

8. Leave another few more days. Bottle/Keg as normal.

Sound about right?

My 2 c - Not keen on this bit. I wouldnt be sparging the grain with anything more than another litre or 2 and then adding water to the pot to get to 10L.

(assuming that over sparging crystal grain has the same effect as over sparging a mash - tannin extraction)

The rest looks good.

My 2 c - Not keen on this bit. I wouldnt be sparging the grain with anything more than another litre or 2 and then adding water to the pot to get to 10L.

(assuming that over sparging crystal grain has the same effect as over sparging a mash - tannin extraction)

The rest looks good.

Yeah. After thinking about it your right. Best off to avoid it happening. Another 1-2 litres should be plenty anyways.

My first AG was Dr S's GA, and what a beer!

Even when we oversparged (50L went to 62L) - it still has plenty of flavour. Maybe a little light on the body, but no complaints from me at all.

No chilled, still has great bitterness but not over the top for me at all. Oversparged, but still ended up with 4.4% Alc.

Lovely bitterness, very gnaw-ish! I dare say I shall polish a few of these off tonight.

Mark we need to catch up now, to discuss this baby! Great recipe. Can recommend it to all.

Beers!

DSCN3232.JPG

for anyone contemplating using 1469 - don't unless you want to up the munich and caramel/crystal malts. it is still extremely nice, but the chewy english esteryness isn't the best suited for amarillo.

"EDIT 12/10/08
My latest variation used JW trad and JW caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich. Hops adjusted to 20 min and flame-out. No dry hopping. Scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008 and was best beer of show (bottle conditioned for 2 months) "

can you please explain the hop adjustments?

is it adjusting the 15g @ 10min hop addition to 15g @ 20min's and how much at flame out

Regards Jeddog

for anyone contemplating using 1469 - don't unless you want to up the munich and caramel/crystal malts. it is still extremely nice, but the chewy english esteryness isn't the best suited for amarillo.

i've made about 5 batches of this now with the 1469, and i couldn't reccomend it higher, must be a personal taste thing, i mash at 65 degrees too. and use maris otter. I thought the amarillo was perfect.

Jeddog

Yes, those additions were changed so the 10 min addition becomes a 20 min addition and the 5 min moved to flameout. You then need to adjust the 60 min bittering addition to keep the total IBUs to 30.

Still 15g for those 2 additions.

And since i entered this beer as an english bitter i cant very well disagree with using 1469 now can I? :p

That and the fact its my fave yeast :beerbang:

I hope you aren't mad at me for giving you that little push? :)

Getting my first AG kit and the brew place suggested this for a good first brew..

I noticed it says Primary/Secondary fermintations, I assume that is what is called "racking" to another fermenting vat? if this is correct, since i only have one can I leave in the same vat for the whole time? if I can what else would I have to do different?

Getting my first AG kit and the brew place suggested this for a good first brew..

I noticed it says Primary/Secondary fermintations, I assume that is what is called "racking" to another fermenting vat? if this is correct, since i only have one can I leave in the same vat for the whole time? if I can what else would I have to do different?

Hey bud I never use a secondary so youll be fine, just dry hop when fermentations mainly over and leave for 7-10days..

+1 for reviled's comments

Ive made this and didn't secondary, dry hopped around day 8

Its great to see a new AGer doing an easy recipe with a great result

Yup. Did this as my first AG. The result was fantastic. Didn't use a secondary - just let the beer ferment out and let it sit for an extra week. So all up I did close to two weeks in one fermenter. As some have said you can bottle/keg this much earlier and still comes up a treat.

I have found the amarillo bitterness pretty big (but love the aroma and malty sweetness) so am considering easing off on some of the hop quantities for my next batch, will make it even more of a crowd pleaser. Plus amarillo is getting darn expensive.

Anyone know how to vote for recipes? I'd like to vote for this and can't figure it out. Looked everywhere and done a search.

Hopper.

in the recipe, click on the downward arrow next to the stars. Then in the dropdown box, select how many stars you want to give it.

+1 for reviled's comments

Ive made this and didn't secondary, dry hopped around day 8

Its great to see a new AGer doing an easy recipe with a great result

when you dry hop do you just put the hops in the fermenter or do I need some fancy equipment?

Back