RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
up to day 8 and I think its stuck at 1020 I checked it over two days both on 1020.. i put the temp up to 21c will this kick start it again?

Patience gav she might take another week

patience!!!?? :) i gave it a little rock.. lets see how it goes.

still on 1020 :(

Maybe try racking to secondary, and increase temp slightly.

Back OT: I still have most of my keg of my first AG beer, the good Dr S's brew.

It is such a great beer, cant speak highly enough of it. I love the crispness and sharp bitterness in my version.

Part of this AG batch was dumped into my mates fermentor straight from kettle (I no chill in a cube), and lo and behold it has a some wild yeast along with the 1056. It isn't terrible, but certainly not a lofty high unlike the proper no chilled cube version. Since then my mate has decided on cubes also.

It is such a great beer, cant speak highly enough of it. I love the crispness and sharp bitterness in my version.

Part of this AG batch was dumped into my mates fermentor straight from kettle (I no chill in a cube), and lo and behold it has a some wild yeast along with the 1056. It isn't terrible, but certainly not a lofty high unlike the proper no chilled cube version. Since then my mate has decided on cubes also.

Still need to catch up with you and sample the AG cherry popper!

I only have one fermenter :( im waiting on another one from a mate who tried K&K but got bored now giving away his gear... anything else I can try.. I have 1x primary i brought two 20lt cubes can I transfer to that then clean fermenter and then transfer back? or just leave and hope it drops?

I only have one fermenter :( im waiting on another one from a mate who tried K&K but got bored now giving away his gear... anything else I can try.. I have 1x primary i brought two 20lt cubes can I transfer to that then clean fermenter and then transfer back? or just leave and hope it drops?

Rack to a cube. its what i do. Fermenters are for primary only in my brewery, cubes/jerries are for secondary/ccing/lagering. Just whack some gladwrap over the hole with a loose rubber band to let the pressure escape.

Still need to catch up with you and sample the AG cherry popper!

Most Certainly Dr S!

I have not forgotten at all.

I have a few stubbies put aside just for us to sample! Along with some of the dry hopped version (with some wild yeast also....)

Rack to a cube. its what i do. Fermenters are for primary only in my brewery, cubes/jerries are for secondary/ccing/lagering. Just whack some gladwrap over the hole with a loose rubber band to let the pressure escape.

I wonder how much pressure would be generated while lagering? Cubes will take a bit of pressure, and the swelling of the cube would make it pretty obvious if you had excess pressure in there, and you could crack the lid to let the pressure escape.

I think in this case gava just wants to rack to kickstart the yeast and so it will be done at the same temp as primary fermentation.

But you are right, even at lagering temps a lager yeast can still slowly ferment and the SG will drop a few points. Less likely with an ale yeast.

I also thought it must just take awhile but its been "stuck" on 1020 for the past three days.. I'll check again tonight if its still on 1020 I'll rack to a cube..

whats the best way to clean a cube, I just brought it..

I also thought it must just take awhile but its been "stuck" on 1020 for the past three days.. I'll check again tonight if its still on 1020 I'll rack to a cube..

Sanitise as normal.

Personally i'd soak it with hot water and sodium percarbonate for a few hours, then rinse with hot water, and sanitise as normal.

SP is an oxygenating cleaner, so expect the cube to swell quite a bit in the first hour or so. You can release the pressure after an hour, or just leave it. I just leave it, and when you give it the hot water rinse, it generally sucks back to the original shape.

Sodium percarbonate is available in neat form as Coopers Sanitiser at all good supermarkets (and probably some bad ones too).

I have not racked before..What do you pour into the secondary? everything apart from the yeast cake thing at the bottom? or all?

I have not racked before..What do you pour into the secondary? everything apart from the yeast cake thing at the bottom? or all?

Just transfer the wort/beer. Leave the yeast cake/trub behind. You can tip the fermenter to get most of it through, and a little trub into the secondary wont be an issue as such. Proper sanitation and you shall be fine. ;)

Eidt: I use a length of tubing that fits over the tap, make it long enough to reach the bottom of your cube so not to aerate it too much. 2c.

How did you measure your mash temp?

At 66C and only 300g of crystal i am surprised you think its sweet.

Are you thermometers calibrated?

I found my HLT thermo was 3C under (out of the box) and cant be calibrated.

hey my good doctor,

I take it all back :D. Beer has settled and the sweetness has gone.... it's a great beer. Mash Temp is measured using a thermometer. Thanks for your recipe.

my Dr is still on 1020 after I shook and upped the ferment temp to 22c....

whats my options now? rack? or live with it? it's day 14 today.

my Dr is still on 1020 after I shook and upped the ferment temp to 22c....

whats my options now? rack? or live with it? it's day 14 today.

Rack it, and put it back into a clean fermenter. Don't be afraid to splash it around, Raven was correct earlier about tubing for finished beer, but yours still is not finished, so you need a bit more oxygen mixed into it (not too much though).
Are you planning on kegging or bottling?

Back