RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at the mo Im steeping grain, caramalt and crystal so far, boiling unhopped malt extract and hops. Usually 12lt boil 1 hour, 3 hop addions. Willing to have a go at any other additions, adjuncts etc. Thank you Dr. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I copied this from another thread (or maybe it was somewhere in the 14 previous pages of this thread):

DrSmurto's Golden Ale - kit version
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
US05

Cheers

Mark

Yeh, yeh If I had my way, for sure. Ive been thinkin about it belive me, but I just moved house again,etc etc. My main problem with AG is I dont do anything in pussy steps. Its all in full on or dont start at all, and do it the best you can. One of these days perhaps when time is right,maybe. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I copied this from another thread (or maybe it was somewhere in the 14 previous pages of this thread):

1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
US05

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for that Kiwi Ill keep acopy of that one. :icon_cheers:
Daz

That kit recipe was the last version before it was converted (and me) to AG. Was my fave kit recipe.

Other than stepping up to a partial i would recommend that for now. If you are feeling adventurous then a partial with a mini mash of Munich.......

That kit recipe was the last version before it was converted (and me) to AG. Was my fave kit recipe.

Other than stepping up to a partial i would recommend that for now. If you are feeling adventurous then a partial with a mini mash of Munich.......

Dr and Kiwi.
Thanks for that. Ill give it a go before trying a mini mash.
I do like the Amarilo but not too strong.
As last time i used it was a bit much, 25gm with a Coopers Pale kit with cultured coop yeast, no wheat, but still a good one after youve got a bit of a glow up and want a bigger slap in the face. :icon_cheers:
Daz

1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
US05

Cheers

Mark

I bottled a batch of this yesterday... I can't wait to drink it as it was already tasting bloody beautiful.

perhaps Dr Smurto should put it in recipeDB...(hint, hint ;) )

No fair you guys. Mouth watering just reading about it, sounds delish. Is there a extract version? Im keen as to have a go but not up to AG yet. :icon_cheers:
Daz
I did an extract version a couple of weeks ago using a tin of light liquid extract and a tin of wheat. Steeped some caramalt and used DrSmurto's latest hopping schedule (although I subbed the 60mins addition for a higher AA hop). Two weeks in the bottle and it tastes pretty darn good. Will see how it ages, but so far I'm more than happy.

1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
US05

Cheers

Mark

Ive done a full extract version of this. It's come up OK. I used 1.2 kg LDME, 1kg morgans wheat malt tin, 250g caramalt, and the good doctor's hopping schedule in 20 litres.

If I were to do it again, I think I would mini mash some munich malt.

Hi, looking for some help.
Can someone tell me is the mashout part of the 60 min mash time or is it 60 min plus 20 min mashout. :huh:

Just a quick question with the 15 and 5 min hop additions.

Do you strain the pellets before putting into the fermenter or add them in with the wort before pitching yeast?

Then add the dry hopping at a later time when fermentation is almost done?

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

Just a quick question with the 15 and 5 min hop additions.

Do you strain the pellets before putting into the fermenter or add them in with the wort before pitching yeast?

Then add the dry hopping at a later time when fermentation is almost done?

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

I assume this is a question relating to the kit version?

Up to you. I did - poured it thru a wire strainer.

Dry hopping is done either in the secondary vessel (and/or the keg) if you rack or once fermentation is complete in the primary vessel.

Yeah was referring to kit version. Thanks Dr Smurto.

Cheers Coops. :icon_cheers:

Well just cracked a bottle of this brewed from the recipe listed in the DB. I did however use Galaxy for the bittering addition and threw in 5g of Galaxy in at 10min also.

Damn fine drop Mr Dr Smurto.

Cheers
Gavo.

1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
US05

Cheers

Mark

I brewed this up last night, just pitched the yeast and had a quick taste. The OG is 1.073, and in unfermented form is quite bitter. I brewed it exactly as above into 23 litres, was this designed to be a bigger batch than that? or will it still ferment out, and give me a drinkable brew, it is pretty dark, i wouldnt call it golden ale

Paul

OG 1.073

i suspect you had a poorly mixed sample. The OG of this is closer to 1.045-1.050 at a guess.

Extract version is darker than the AG version.

I reckon it will be very drinkable Paul but I am openly biased!

Back