RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im kegging... could I just put in the corny and let it go for a few weeks at 4c?

im kegging... could I just put in the corny and let it go for a few weeks at 4c?
Going straight to keg is fine. You will get a small bit of yeast sediment later, but that will soon clear. Carb 40 to 50kPa to start with.
Check pressure regularly if your not drinking straight up, you don't want it to over carb.
I would leave it at room temperature not 4C for a week, the transfer would be enough to kick start the yeast again and finish the ferment, as I described earlier. You would use my previous method if bottling. The residual sugar should be enough to completely carb the beer, so be careful on pressure, (assuming normal mash temps etc).

how would this go with ale malt instead of the pilsner? Want to give one a go today but only have pils

cracked open my first AG beer which is this... hmmmmmm nice...... sure beats Kits... I will be making this beer again..

cracked open my first AG beer which is this... hmmmmmm nice...... sure beats Kits... I will be making this beer again..

What was your final SG? Did you get it lower than 1.020?

nope.. still at 1020.... *shakes fist* but hey.. first AG can't expect pure gold from word go..

Returned yesterday from holidays and promptly chilled a few stubbies of my Golden Ale, after only 2 weeks in the bottle.

I followed the grain bill almost to the letter, however for the hopping scheduled I decided to try a late hopping experiment with Amarillo and Willamette (left overs), 3 additions - 20mins, 5mins, 0mins producing around 25IBU.

First impressions are YES!! Really nice aroma, more than my previous APA's. The bitterness is definitely there, however the intial hit is very subtle and smooth and is followed by the bite. Hard to describe, but very pleasing to me. The munich + cara flavours are present and match the bitterness well.

Another success story!!

OK... so I finally got to taste my AG popper - Smurto's Golden ale on the weekend - all carbed up in a freshly filled keg.

Verdict... it is a winner. I pretty much followed the Doc's recipe, but was a bit sceptical initially about dry hopping (simply as I had not done it before).

As I NC'd this batch, when i tasted the batch after primary, I found there was not much aroma left from the Amarillo, so dry hopping for a week sorted that right out.

Top recipe - very happy with the results. Had done a few exract versions before the AG brew and can say the extra effort is well worth it.

Keep up the good work Doc!!

Brendo

Got this one bedded down in the fermenter now.
Was a fantastic colour coming out of the kettle.
The aroma of the Amarillo sitting there waiting to be added to the boil was intoxicating.
Followed original recipe, will dry hop in secondary .
Am so looking forward to drinking this. :rolleyes:

Cheers Dr.S
Nige

I knocked one up on Sunday and pitched yesterday, the US-05 has taken off like a rocket today, beautiful krausen, i must remember to dry hop next weekend.
I agree the color and smell is a winner

I kegged and tasted mine Yesterday, all I can say is PERFECT, a recipe best shared, thank you!

p.s. I no chilled with whirfloc in kettle and polyclar before filtering, came out perfectly clear and golden.

Brewed a double batch of this yesterday...chilled half and no chilled the other half. Going to do a side by side to see how the no chill really affects the bitterness. Going to get the local adelaide crew to give it a taste test as well.

If it turns out alright (the no chill that is) I am so going to do a double double batch (well, 2 double batches in one day) and no chill the lot. Should keep the stocks healthy for some time. Might also do a Phillip's Golden Ale - same grain bill but different hops (simcoe or nelson sauvin).

Cheers
Phil

Dry hopped mine last weekend and added some gelatin today (snuck a taste) it's lost some of it's initial bitterness and the dry hops have added a kind of herb flavor but tastes really nice....

I kegged and tasted mine Yesterday, all I can say is PERFECT, a recipe best shared, thank you!

p.s. I no chilled with whirfloc in kettle and polyclar before filtering, came out perfectly clear and golden.

Got a pic for us Andy?

Brewed a double batch of this yesterday...chilled half and no chilled the other half. Going to do a side by side to see how the no chill really affects the bitterness. Going to get the local adelaide crew to give it a taste test as well.

If it turns out alright (the no chill that is) I am so going to do a double double batch (well, 2 double batches in one day) and no chill the lot. Should keep the stocks healthy for some time. Might also do a Phillip's Golden Ale - same grain bill but different hops (simcoe or nelson sauvin).

Cheers
Phil

Very keen on this taste test.

Dry hopped mine last weekend and added some gelatin today (snuck a taste) it's lost some of it's initial bitterness and the dry hops have added a kind of herb flavor but tastes really nice....

I find with the dry hops that its quite herby/grassy initially but about 5 days in it mellows out to a more stone fruit aroma.

Looking at my records it appears i havent brewed one of these this year. That cant be right.......

No fair you guys. Mouth watering just reading about it, sounds delish. Is there a extract version? Im keen as to have a go but not up to AG yet. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Full extract or kits and bits?

Well, at the mo Im steeping grain, caramalt and crystal so far, boiling unhopped malt extract and hops. Usually 12lt boil 1 hour, 3 hop addions. Willing to have a go at any other additions, adjuncts etc. Thank you Dr. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Back